Quail Population 'The Smoking Gun"

bagofdonuts

Re: Quail Population 'The Smoking Gun"

Post by bagofdonuts » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:27 am

"Historically, early Bob White quail populations in North America were relatively low as compared with the highs of the early to mid-1900's before we cleared and developed the land. As we developed the land we killed the small hawks; with pesticide, trapping and GrandMa's shotgun. Quail flourished as hawk populations plummeted."

Neil,
I believe you got it half right. What was experienced in the mid 1900's was a quail boom. Lots of small (100 acre)farms after WWII provided ideal habitat for the gleaning bob white. Those farms are gone. Sadly, what I'm afraid we have now is a reduction back to historic population levels. Just my .02 and it doesn't bode well for a comeback to what our fathers and grandfathers saw.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 pm

bagofdonuts wrote:"Historically, early Bob White quail populations in North America were relatively low as compared with the highs of the early to mid-1900's before we cleared and developed the land. As we developed the land we killed the small hawks; with pesticide, trapping and GrandMa's shotgun. Quail flourished as hawk populations plummeted."

Neil,
I believe you got it half right. What was experienced in the mid 1900's was a quail boom. Lots of small (100 acre)farms after WWII provided ideal habitat for the gleaning bob white. Those farms are gone. Sadly, what I'm afraid we have now is a reduction back to historic population levels. Just my .02 and it doesn't bode well for a comeback to what our fathers and grandfathers saw.
Excellent post!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:58 pm

birddogger wrote:
bagofdonuts wrote:"Historically, early Bob White quail populations in North America were relatively low as compared with the highs of the early to mid-1900's before we cleared and developed the land. As we developed the land we killed the small hawks; with pesticide, trapping and GrandMa's shotgun. Quail flourished as hawk populations plummeted."

Neil,
Excellent post!

Charlie
At 46 that is disheartening to learn however thank you gentlemen for the perspective...glad I got a pc of it when I did.