Pig Pointers

Ed Wahl

Pig Pointers

Post by Ed Wahl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm

The last day of the quail season here in California I was in Tehama county chasing Valley Quail with my 2 dogs, Cash the Pointer and Rio the German Wirehaired Pointer. Got some nice dog work that day, several points and honors. One point and honor stand out. I found them in a gully, Cash on point with Rio right behind him. Looked like Rio was definitely not pointing the same bird, he was just standing Cash. So I took a pic and got ready. A couple of steps in there was a loud crashing of brush and a really menacing grunt as the biggest wild boar I'd ever seen came charging out. Cash was out of there in a blink and the pig spotted Rio and went for him. Luckily I was ready to shoot at a bird and had the gun halfway up. I told myself "just don't shoot the pig, it'll only get angry", and put a load just over the top of it's head. That did the trick, it made a hard left up the hill and was gone. WHOO! So many things could have gone south just then, but we all caught a break. My wildest bird hunt yet.

Here's the pig pointing pointer pointing a pig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DudeRN

Re: Pig Pointers

Post by DudeRN » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:04 pm

wow, glad it turned out okay! good call on not shooting the pig.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Wow! Crazy story. Glad it worked out OK and nobody got hurt. A wild pig is a nasty character.

One time many years ago when we were chukar hunting, our brittany "Franki" went on a point down in a small brushy draw. As my his husband went down to flush "the birds" I suddenly heard him blurt, "STAY . . . STAY . ." Then he comes out of the draw holding on to Franki's collar with one hand and his shotgun in the other. Guess she was almost face-to-face with a bobcat. My husband was worried she would jump on it and all heck would break loose before he got to her.

Ed Wahl

Post by Ed Wahl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Yeah, it was my lucky day. When it was all over and I had called the dogs back in I just rolled on the ground laughing. I mean, not just any lil ole pig came out, it had to be hogzilla. How absurd is that?
I'm new here and liking this board a lot. Love sharing stories with folks who understand the bird dog world.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Interesting story - glad the dogs made it out ok.

Here in KS if my dog ever points anything other than birds I'm always paranoid it will be a skunk. Was sprayed once in my late teens and still havent forgotten. Luckily the strangest thing pointed this year were mice, 2 armadillos and an opossum.