Upland tips and trips

Hotchkiss

Upland tips and trips

Post by Hotchkiss » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:38 pm

I am looking for some ideas and suggestions regarding where I might take my three GSPs next fall for some wild
birds. I spent this fall hunting preserves and want to plan some trips next year. Two of the dogs are excellent dogs by anyone's standards and the third is a work in progress. All three dogs are well suited for open big country with all three
having a good bit of range if I let them go big. Any general suggestions would be appreciated.

deseeker

Re: Upland tips and trips

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:31 pm

SD, ND, MT ---That will give you chances at phez, sharptail, & huns. :D All 3 have areas with public land, walk in areas, wet lands.( walk ins are closed to non residents on opening week of phez season in SD & ND--don't know on MT) :roll:

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:27 am

Is there a way to determine which public lands are better than others. Normally the division of wildlife officers will
Share that information.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:19 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:Is there a way to determine which public lands are better than others. Normally the division of wildlife officers will
Share that information.
You could try to get on the good graces of a farmer! But otherwise you will just have to ask around, or go hunt it! In NoDak there are usually pheasant along I-94 and south...
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I am pretty good with farmers. I farm a fair amount myself. Some have sent me PMs and I really appreciate the help!

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Plan on going for 7 days. Days 1-2 figuring out where to hunt, days 3-5 hunt as many areas as possible, days 5-7 hunt the best areas from days to 3-5.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Vision wrote:Plan on going for 7 days. Days 1-2 figuring out where to hunt, days 3-5 hunt as many areas as possible, days 5-7 hunt the best areas from days to 3-5.

Thnaks. If anyone is interested in swaping private hunts in their area, I have some of the best whitetails in Ohio. You can PM me for details. You are more than welcome to stay at the farm in a new house and chase booners.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Usually any Game Production along the Missouri River in South Dakota is good, just bring steel shot. Depends on the time of season and whether or not the land has been harvested and is stubble or not. Pretty hard to beat pheasant in north central SoDak.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Idaho, 3 species of forest grouse, 2 species of plains grouse, 2 species of quail, huns, chukars, pheasants, doves and waterfowl. 2/3 of the state is public land.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:I am looking for some ideas and suggestions regarding where I might take my three GSPs next fall for some wild
birds. I spent this fall hunting preserves and want to plan some trips next year. Two of the dogs are excellent dogs by anyone's standards and the third is a work in progress. All three dogs are well suited for open big country with all three
having a good bit of range if I let them go big. Any general suggestions would be appreciated.
NC Pennsylvania
Quebec, if you need to go early.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:29 pm

What are you thinking about hunting in PA grouse and or pheasant? I would be a little concerned about Quebec. There is probably a ton of thick cover there - and I like to see them at least some while handling. Are you from WV?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:What are you thinking about hunting in PA grouse and or pheasant? I would be a little concerned about Quebec. There is probably a ton of thick cover there - and I like to see them at least some while handling. Are you from WV?
I suggested Quebec in case you needed to hunt earlier in the season.
Timing, can be an issue on choosing a destination....weather to unpicked crops.....woods birds to those in the shortgrass.
Disregard a suggestion as necessary.

It would not be pheasant in Pennsylvania.....tho their released program is a step or three above many states.

You mentioned Ohio so I mentioned a reasonably close and solid possibility for a truly wild bird.
Ruffed grouse do often like cover.....therefore the dogs and I like cover.
The idea that one seldom sees the dog work in the grouse woods is a bit too general and over-used an idea.
Sometimes it's true, sure.....but one always gets a good look when the dogs stop....and, good dogs work the cover and the birds and one sees if one looks.
Good dogs simply are "well suited" to bird hunting, irregardless as they say around here, of the venue.

Perhaps trialing would be a better idea for you than bird hunting.....apart from grouse trials of course.

No sir, not from West, by the grace of God, Virginia tho I have spent much time at work and recreation there...happily.

Re the whitetails....63 years in Ohio has me sick of the things....I hope someone takes you up on the offer and knocks a bunch down.
The deer played a small part in Ohio's ruffed grouse decline so, the less the better. :idea: