Favorite upland pants

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Favorite upland pants

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm

nikegundog wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
cjhills wrote:Never could figure out why one needs special pants to go hunting. Everybody I know wears Jeans. I have been going more toward Carrhart Bibs as my belly gets a bit bigger. The legs need to be tailored a bit because the are huge. Comfort and light weight are most important. I don't like being locked into the same pants for years. If it is cold I wear long johns. If they wear out I throw them away and buy new ones. Generally start out over dressed so I need to be able to remove a layer or two. They work for me..........................Cj
This has been my question also. But I suspect the answer is that practically everyone has money in their pockets today. I grew up at the tail end of the depression when attitudes were so very different. I remember losing a shoe when I was four or five and having to look for it for the next couple of days because my folks had NO money to buy another pair. I also easily remember when raising my family of driving the old roads because I didn't have the money to pay the tolls on the good roads. And yet today, every time I offer a thought about dogs, clothes, guns, boats, or dog food being to high pieced and a waste of money or the fact that some young families may not have that to spend I get put down by so many. We have long discussions on this forum over guns, hunting vests, hunting boots, and dog foods that have large price differences and the advice from so many always is buy the expensive items because in the long run they are always cheaper. And if I say maybe they don't have the money the response is the purchase price is the cheapest part of owning the item or dog. Even when that is true, how do you compare the cost which is paid in one lump sum to the cost later to maintain or repair is spread out a little bit at a time over possibly years.

Nice to have money, but many that claim thry do, often are using credit or forgetting that they have family and friends and even their older years that do or will need help and when those times come the well is dry and someone else ends up paying the bills. I still think 5 dollars is a lot of money when your pockets are empty and the kids are hungry. Just a sign I am behind the times.
In a previous discussion on guns, you said you used a 20 gauge because of it weight, and comfort was a big concern for you. I wear water resistant hunting pants for those same types of reasons. Like twenty gauge shells, you do pay a premium for them, but the trade off is comfort. It is sure more enjoyable for me the be dry in the field, than wet. I grew up farming, picked a lot of bean fields soaking wet and miserable in blue jeans and tennis shoes, worked at a feed mill, and roofed quite a few houses also. A pair of jeans cost me about $35, and quility pair of hunting pant at the end of season runs me about $60. So 5 years out I have spent $5 extra a year staying dry and comfortable, seems reasonable considering people shoot 20 gauge shells because they don't understand the value of the dollar.

Not sure I am reading you right but if you are meaning 20 gauge shells are more expensive you live in a different world than here in the mid-west where they are the cheapest shells you can buy and often they and the 12guage are the only ones stocked. But your point is well taken, I just never felt a uncomfortable with what I was wearing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:39 pm

For the jean wearers.... I use to wear them to hunt in years ago. I moved to the otherside. Give me pants with brush guard legs, articulated knees, rubber inside waist band to keep them in place.. Jeans are okay, if your hunting dry environment ... I don't like them when legs get wet and mudding pulling them down and scuffing on your knees. Overalls to bulking and more stress on your shoulders went wet. There's my 2cents and worth probably less.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote: I agree that there are better pants than blue jeans to hunt in under poor conditions. But I have to laugh when we hear how uncomfortable and restrictive they are when you have to move like walking while hunting. Makes me wonder what you all do for work. Hunting is much like a walk in the park compared to the activity involved in farming as well as many other labor intensive jobs that the majority of people perform everyday. Try roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill. a plumber, carpenter, or a miner, who all wear jeans because of their comfort, protection, and durability. And after trying those jobs for a day or two, think you will find hunting is way to relax and take it easy for a day.

Jeans do not offer the protection from briars we all like to have and they do get wet early on a dewy or frosty morning, but I can't think of anything more comfortable that a pair of bib overalls for the active hardworking person.

Ezzy
I understand that you know everything and are never wrong, but I'll voice an opinion that disagrees with yours...

I hunt in nylon faced Carhartt pants, and work in double front Carhartt pants.

More comfortable, and more durable than jeans. Jeans are for wearing "nice" places.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Wyobio wrote:Any pants with cotton (especially blue jeans) are terrible for hunting. They are hot and restrictive when you are on the move, hypothermia inducing when the weather turns wet. Cordura hiking pants (Columbia, Ex Officio, REI etc.) are perfect for early season. As it gets colder, I layer increasingly heavy long underwear underneath. They are not waterproof, but are very water resistant and do not absorb much water. They keep you warm if you do get wet, and dry very quickly. It is amazing how versatile this is, I hunt the mountains in September to December in North Dakota. If the briars and thorns get too thick, I will put on chaps, but I seldom need it.

I hunt with a guy that laughed at my "hiker outfit". After a day of hunting in wet snow near freezing temps, his jeans had soaked water up to his waist, even though the snow was only 6" deep. As he sweated he melted more snow and the cotton just wicked up his legs. I was slightly damp around the ankles, but otherwise warm and dry. He bought some "hiking pants."
I agree that there are better pants than blue jeans to hunt in under poor conditions. But I have to laugh when we hear how uncomfortable and restrictive they are when you have to move like walking while hunting. Makes me wonder what you all do for work. Hunting is much like a walk in the park compared to the activity involved in farming as well as many other labor intensive jobs that the majority of people perform everyday. Try roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill. a plumber, carpenter, or a miner, who all wear jeans because of their comfort, protection, and durability. And after trying those jobs for a day or two, think you will find hunting is way to relax and take it easy for a day.

Jeans do not offer the protection from briars we all like to have and they do get wet early on a dewy or frosty morning, but I can't think of anything more comfortable that a pair of bib overalls for the active hardworking person.

Ezzy
You could look up what we do under the "Occupations" thread. And I'm much more active than a farmer or steel mill worker or plumber... But I don't wear jeans to work. I wear hiking pants or carhart pants. Much more durable, comfortable, and my crotch doesn't blow out.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:15 am

This thread is entertaining.

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Luvthemud...you are right...VERY entertaining and to some extent, that's why some of us come to this site and type what we type. That aside, there are actually folk who know something about the hunting they do in their own "backyard" which can be unique to them. We have to consider the very diverse/widespread audience this medium embodies.
That's why some folk don't take well to learning something new or considering a second opinion. They say there's 3 types of people:
- ones that learn from other people,
- ones that have to learn from their own mistakes,
- ones that never learn OR already know it all.
Last edited by Dirty Dawger on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

USMC

Post by USMC » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Fresh pair of jeans for every day I hunt and a pair of chaps....

I like taking an extra pair of chaps just in case..!

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 am

I'm with you USMC. The only thing is when it gets really wet the over-trousers give you that extra protection in the crotch/butt area. Sometimes, I like to sit on a mossy rock or wet log and give my dog a break, myself a break, cherish the moment. These over-trousers allow for that. They also handle the rain better because sometimes, water will run off my rain-proof jacket onto my jeans or into the top of chaps.
That said, I still use waxed-cotton chaps most often - if it isn't raining. Then again, I spend more time in the field than most. The bottoms of my chaps look pretty tattered but they still work!

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 pm

I actually found a set of SOG ripstop tactical pants at Walmart. I really like them for warm weather and water training, as they are waterproof. Plus there are pockets everywhere.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the relies.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Bib guy here. I have a bad back. When I wore pants, they were loose with suspenders, NO BELT. Bibs are the greatest thing I've ever hunted in. When it's wet or I'm in thorny cover, I put chaps on them. I cut apart two hunting license holders, then put the back tag pins into my bibs, then hook the chaps to them. Works like a charm.=
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Pheasanttracker

Favorite upland pants

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 pm

I usually were a pair of TSC work pants with a pair of Filson single tin chaps. Never had any issues. Tried numerous briar pants but ended up seeing them trashed by year end. Maybe never bought the right kind. I figure with chaps I can wear lined or unlined pants depending on the weather and have the chaps keep the briars from cutting me up or from getting wet in morning dew/frost. Early season grouse is just jeans or the TSC pants as they are a bit hardier. I wear them around for farm chores anyway so no real extra cost and got the filson's for about 60 bucks. Will last forever