Favorite upland pants

Hotchkiss

Favorite upland pants

Post by Hotchkiss » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:07 pm

What is your favorite pants for early season upland hunting? Same question for late season hunting?

Max2

Re: Favorite upland pants

Post by Max2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:28 am

I wear the same pant's all season :D Cabela's with the courdora chaps built in. I also have a pair of 10-X designed by Sportmex is states in the label that are quite comfortable.Leather chaps built in.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:28 am

I wear McAlister waxed pants and for the most part wear them year round. If its extremely warm I'll wear my North Face ripstop pants and if its extremely cold I throw on my Columbia wool pants. I like my pants two sizes large and hemmed two inches short. I love the McAlister waxies but I will say they are warm when its warm and cold when its cold.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 pm

I wear Carhart insulated bib overalls. They are about twenty years old now and stained badly from blood but otherwise about as good as new.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:36 pm

This is currently what I wear:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... land+pants

Have 3 seasons on them and they are holding up pretty good. I wear them with a goretex base layer in the winter and they are plenty warm even in extreme cold.
Last edited by luvthemud on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:46 pm

LL Bean...lightweight.....in material and leg facing....all seasons, hot cold, snowing sideways.
2" shorter inseam and one size larger in the waist than normal....naturally with suspenders and equally naturally with no belt.

Not the best for protection in greenbrier, multiflora, plum thickets, honey locusts, et al but the weight and particulars are swell....especially in areas with terrain.
I avoid GoreTex like a belt and scratches and pokes heal.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Why do so many people go with suspenders and avoid belts?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:Why do so many people go with suspenders and avoid belts?
Can't speak for any but me....my main reasons are comfort and practacality.

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:27 pm

I was away from bird hunting for years and getting back inti it -ALWAYS LOVED IT BUT HAD NO ONE TO TEACH ME ANYTHING
AND THERE WAS NO INTERNET THEN. I figure I have a good 23 years left and started looking for quality upland clothing. I am shocked by the variety and know everything is different, but like Mountaineer said I prefer comfort. Why do so many prefer a vest over a jacket? It would certainly be better early season.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Hotchkiss wrote:Why do so many people go with suspenders and avoid belts?

I use suspenders but still keep the belt on, albeit rather loosely, to hold my knife.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:47 am

I've been through plenty of hunting pants. Could never seem to find something that I liked, that stopped the thorns and gave me the flexibility I needed. What I have settled on are Carhart work plants with the nylon facing. They have a carpenters loop on them if that helps. They are roomy, not too warm, not cold if I wear a pair of PP long underwear. Have worn them for 5 seasons and can't tell them from when they were new.

I've had Filson's tin cloth that I sold (too stiff), LL Bean, pretty good but wore out, Cabela's, and a couple others. Some were pretty good but the briarproof stuff didn't come up high enough :oops: , some were too thin and tore, some too tight.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:02 pm

http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com/category-s/1.htm

Love these. I like the fact I can wear any type of pants for comfort and still get the briar proof/wind proof/waterproof. I now want the mesh back so I can wear them in warmer weather. Strange hunting season this year. Some days it hit in the 70's.

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:32 pm

I hunt in both heat and in cold. In the heat, I prefer your basic jean material - brown color works best especially when your happy dog jumps up on you. I wear Filson single tin chaps over the jeans and I'm good to go. If we head into town for lunch, I simple peel off the (blood stained) chaps and I'm reasonably presentable in a diner.
In colder weather, I will wear those same jeans however I might wear long-johns underneath. I wear waxed cotton over-trousers over both. The best I had were made by Barbour but I have found them made by Australian Outback as well.
I discovered that ANY cordura or denier weave simply does not keep the thorns out like a good waxed cotton. The issue with the cordura - although they look great - is that the weave actually contributes to the problem. If you hunt grouse/woodcock where I do (raspberry cane, hawthorn, wild roses, etc.) the tips of these thorns get caught up in the weave and the very tip of these thorns often snags up and snaps off in that weave. An indicator is when you are walking along for hours and your knees or thighs itch. When you take your trousers off, you may find a red irritation where you had the itch. The reason is the tip of the thorn is still entangled in that weave and is rubbing on your skin with every step you take! It's hard to see or feel that tip but it's there and time afield will expose it as a small red irritation on your skin.
Waxed cotton is not flawless but it does not snag thorn tips and is also virtually waterproof too. For the relentless upland hunter, waxed cotton is hard to beat, IMO!

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:04 pm

AtTheMurph wrote:I've been through plenty of hunting pants. Could never seem to find something that I liked, that stopped the thorns and gave me the flexibility I needed. What I have settled on are Carhart work plants with the nylon facing. They have a carpenters loop on them if that helps. They are roomy, not too warm, not cold if I wear a pair of PP long underwear. Have worn them for 5 seasons and can't tell them from when they were new.

I've had Filson's tin cloth that I sold (too stiff), LL Bean, pretty good but wore out, Cabela's, and a couple others. Some were pretty good but the briarproof stuff didn't come up high enough :oops: , some were too thin and tore, some too tight.

I have had a LOT of Carhart work pants (even with the carpenter loop) and I don't recall any with a nylon facing. I have had several with a double front but the material is the same just a double layer of it on the front.

I was looking at the Filson Shelter Cloth as a possibility. I use the single tin chaps with jeans some and do like those as suggested by some, but they can get really hot early season.

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:07 pm

Levi 517s

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:08 pm

For late season I love my Cabela's waxed Chaps. Great in grouse woods, but they are too warm if it isn't cold. I have a few different pants, but my favorite are a pair of Columbia's before they got too big (company not the pants). Columbia's quality has seemed to go down the last several years. Unfortunately they finally wore out last season so I'll be searching for a new pair this year. I had a couple pair of upland jeans with cordura pants, but they don't seem to hold up well for me.

1gundog

Favorite upland pants

Post by 1gundog » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm

Gander mountain GSX Men's Upland Tick Cuff Pant and older discontinued GSX upland pant. I recently bought a pair of filson tin waxed pants after drooling over them for long time. What a disappointment. The waste sizes are a size smaller than marked and I felt like I was wearing wet jeans all day. Not warm weather friendly at all. I have a pair of original mcalister waxed bibs never had any issues with them other than they get heavy after a few miles.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Wicks chaps, now they are out of business, I will replace my last still new ones with those from NiteLite. Takes about ten years to wear them out, I am on my 5th and next to last pair.

I wear them hunting, training and horseback over my Wranglers. Might be buried in them.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:42 am

Never could figure out why one needs special pants to go hunting. Everybody I know wears Jeans. I have been going more toward Carrhart Bibs as my belly gets a bit bigger. The legs need to be tailored a bit because the are huge. Comfort and light weight are most important. I don't like being locked into the same pants for years. If it is cold I wear long johns. If they wear out I throw them away and buy new ones. Generally start out over dressed so I need to be able to remove a layer or two. They work for me..........................Cj

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:06 am

cjhills wrote:Never could figure out why one needs special pants to go hunting. Everybody I know wears Jeans. I have been going more toward Carrhart Bibs as my belly gets a bit bigger. The legs need to be tailored a bit because the are huge. Comfort and light weight are most important. I don't like being locked into the same pants for years. If it is cold I wear long johns. If they wear out I throw them away and buy new ones. Generally start out over dressed so I need to be able to remove a layer or two. They work for me..........................Cj
Well - kinda. Dinging around the pheasant fields I gave up on fancy pants, um er.. pants. A cheap pair of jeans works fine and I care less when I rip out the crotch on barbed wire. I have short legs, this happens a lot. When I am somewhere slogging up coulees, pushing through brush, and getting into burrs, the real upland pants are much nicer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:24 am

cjhills wrote:Never could figure out why one needs special pants to go hunting. Everybody I know wears Jeans. I have been going more toward Carrhart Bibs as my belly gets a bit bigger. The legs need to be tailored a bit because the are huge. Comfort and light weight are most important. I don't like being locked into the same pants for years. If it is cold I wear long johns. If they wear out I throw them away and buy new ones. Generally start out over dressed so I need to be able to remove a layer or two. They work for me..........................Cj
This has been my question also. But I suspect the answer is that practically everyone has money in their pockets today. I grew up at the tail end of the depression when attitudes were so very different. I remember losing a shoe when I was four or five and having to look for it for the next couple of days because my folks had NO money to buy another pair. I also easily remember when raising my family of driving the old roads because I didn't have the money to pay the tolls on the good roads. And yet today, every time I offer a thought about dogs, clothes, guns, boats, or dog food being to high pieced and a waste of money or the fact that some young families may not have that to spend I get put down by so many. We have long discussions on this forum over guns, hunting vests, hunting boots, and dog foods that have large price differences and the advice from so many always is buy the expensive items because in the long run they are always cheaper. And if I say maybe they don't have the money the response is the purchase price is the cheapest part of owning the item or dog. Even when that is true, how do you compare the cost which is paid in one lump sum to the cost later to maintain or repair is spread out a little bit at a time over possibly years.

Nice to have money, but many that claim thry do, often are using credit or forgetting that they have family and friends and even their older years that do or will need help and when those times come the well is dry and someone else ends up paying the bills. I still think 5 dollars is a lot of money when your pockets are empty and the kids are hungry. Just a sign I am behind the times.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 am

Ezzy, I think you're right in some sense. Why pay $3000 for an over under when you can't afford it and a $300 Rem. 870 Express will kill birds? You're right! But there are other times the product is worth the cost. For example, the wife and I are looking at mattresses. We could buy a $700 P.O.S. that will wear out in 5 years or a Tempur-pedic for 3 times as much, but has a 20 year warranty. It may be worth it in the end.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:05 am

Some....may prefer other than "jeans" as jeans can be cut a mite on the tighter side....especially in the leg and that can be tiring....same as chaps....for some....in some terrain.
Most jeans also have no suspender buttons and while hopefully no one would use clamp on suspenders :D ...one can easily buy logger buttons, or bachelor buttons as I know them, and hammer them home for a connection.

I suspect the OP will fit & try( slight pun) the recommendations and chose what works for his own particulars...it is what we all do.
It is why I would never wear chaps.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 pm

For protection? Is all of your hunting done from a horse? If not, how do you keep dry and protected in just jeans? I've worn just jeans plenty of times and I normally get soaked and cut up...especially when chasing roosters and ruffies.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

rkappes wrote:
For protection? Is all of your hunting done from a horse? If not, how do you keep dry and protected in just jeans? I've worn just jeans plenty of times and I normally get soaked and cut up...especially when chasing roosters and ruffies.
I have found wet and scratched up cheaper than special hunting clothes and I am lucky I guess that I dry and heal very quickly. But to be honest I have found two things that keep me pretty dry and in possession of all my flesh and blood, a pair of Carhart jeans and a good dog. The dog came first and the Carhart's more recently. I can not remember ever hunting with anyone having special clothes till the last decade or so. As a farm boy and later a farmer I an all of my friends got scratched up way worse just putting up hay and straw. Those bales would ruin a pair of jeans pretty quickly but we never had special clothing for that either. Looking back sure wish I had my Carhart's back then.

1gundog

Favorite upland pants

Post by 1gundog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:16 pm

The question was "what is your favorite" nothing about how much do you spend. If a guy wants to spend $300 on a pair of pants and $15k for a KRIEGHOFF shotgun more power to him. I'm not gonna judge him based on material things anyway. MERICA!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm

rkappes wrote:
I never hunted ruffies or pheasants off a horse. I find light and comfortable much more important. Generally the northern plains are dry in bird season. If it is raining or wet snow, I either stay in camp or wear rain gear. Unless you mean another kind of dry and protected. I'm thinking not.
I bought a pair of chaps a long time ago but I never like them and gave them away. When I hunt Sharptails and Huns I walk all day. I do not need any extra baggage. Most all the clothes designed for upland hunting are bulky,uncomfortable and not designed for upland, walking bird hunting.....CJ

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:01 am

planning on trying these at some point.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... 20406.aspx

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 am

No one needs upland pants to go hunting, but they sure are a lot nicer than jeans, even Carhartt pants when busting through prickly ash or raspberries and some of those darn seeds (i.e. sweet cicely) that can poke through typical jeans.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:41 am

I have a pair of Orvis bibs (coveralls) that I use from the beginning to the end of bird hunting season........
.......and I love 'em !! Double tins on the legs, roomy, zip front chest pouch & zippers on the legs that go up high enough.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:01 am

luvthemud wrote:planning on trying these at some point.

I have used their Duluthflex Ultimate Firehose Cargo Pants for the last three years. My favorite upland pants :D

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am

I liked the fit of the Duluth pants - plus they were pretty sturdy - unfortunately (and maybe because I'm of the female persuasion), the zipper kept coming down. Nothing like hunting with a new group of folks and having your girly pants showing from underneath. The zipper was a pain, but I doubt that would be an issue with a fella.

I really like the Riggs pants sold at Orscheln's. The fabric is like that "fire hose" fabric from Duluth. Pretty sturdy pants, mostly briar-proof plus they have good pockets and the loops for the belt are good. They also have a good pocket for your knife on the side and a hammer loop (sometimes I hang my cap gun on there).

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Any pants with cotton (especially blue jeans) are terrible for hunting. They are hot and restrictive when you are on the move, hypothermia inducing when the weather turns wet. Cordura hiking pants (Columbia, Ex Officio, REI etc.) are perfect for early season. As it gets colder, I layer increasingly heavy long underwear underneath. They are not waterproof, but are very water resistant and do not absorb much water. They keep you warm if you do get wet, and dry very quickly. It is amazing how versatile this is, I hunt the mountains in September to December in North Dakota. If the briars and thorns get too thick, I will put on chaps, but I seldom need it.

I hunt with a guy that laughed at my "hiker outfit". After a day of hunting in wet snow near freezing temps, his jeans had soaked water up to his waist, even though the snow was only 6" deep. As he sweated he melted more snow and the cotton just wicked up his legs. I was slightly damp around the ankles, but otherwise warm and dry. He bought some "hiking pants."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Wyobio wrote:Any pants with cotton (especially blue jeans) are terrible for hunting. They are hot and restrictive when you are on the move, hypothermia inducing when the weather turns wet. Cordura hiking pants (Columbia, Ex Officio, REI etc.) are perfect for early season. As it gets colder, I layer increasingly heavy long underwear underneath. They are not waterproof, but are very water resistant and do not absorb much water. They keep you warm if you do get wet, and dry very quickly. It is amazing how versatile this is, I hunt the mountains in September to December in North Dakota. If the briars and thorns get too thick, I will put on chaps, but I seldom need it.

I hunt with a guy that laughed at my "hiker outfit". After a day of hunting in wet snow near freezing temps, his jeans had soaked water up to his waist, even though the snow was only 6" deep. As he sweated he melted more snow and the cotton just wicked up his legs. I was slightly damp around the ankles, but otherwise warm and dry. He bought some "hiking pants."
I agree that there are better pants than blue jeans to hunt in under poor conditions. But I have to laugh when we hear how uncomfortable and restrictive they are when you have to move like walking while hunting. Makes me wonder what you all do for work. Hunting is much like a walk in the park compared to the activity involved in farming as well as many other labor intensive jobs that the majority of people perform everyday. Try roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill. a plumber, carpenter, or a miner, who all wear jeans because of their comfort, protection, and durability. And after trying those jobs for a day or two, think you will find hunting is way to relax and take it easy for a day.

Jeans do not offer the protection from briars we all like to have and they do get wet early on a dewy or frosty morning, but I can't think of anything more comfortable that a pair of bib overalls for the active hardworking person.

Ezzy

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:...I agree that there are better pants than blue jeans to hunt in under poor conditions. But I have to laugh when we hear how uncomfortable and restrictive they are when you have to move like walking while hunting. Makes me wonder what you all do for work. Hunting is much like a walk in the park compared to the activity involved in farming as well as many other labor intensive jobs that the majority of people perform everyday. Try roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill. a plumber, carpenter, or a miner, who all wear jeans because of their comfort, protection, and durability. And after trying those jobs for a day or two, think you will find hunting is way to relax and take it easy for a day.
Jeans do not offer the protection from briars we all like to have and they do get wet early on a dewy or frosty morning, but I can't think of anything more comfortable that a pair of bib overalls for the active hardworking person.
Grouse hunting in the appalachians is not exactly like a walk in the park, on average....that generalization, makes me laugh.
Which is a good thing, laughter...so long as we laughers do not assume some superiority from our times or situations past.
Actually, if I really want to laugh it might be toward the fears of sticker bushes......scratches were always a grouse hunter badge....legs or hands and what looks better than pant cuffs frayed to ribbons.
A bit dumb in some ways for sure but few seldom succomb to a bout with multiflora or a honey locust....or, whatever.

I preferred larger, non-binding pants growing up working in the oilfields, hated bibs unless it was very hot and disliked the coveralls my father chose basically for their regular clothes protection.
Lots of jobs can be considered tough, some actually are ..even in other than our memories.
Mostly tho, one panted-up for work based upon what we had...not what may have been best...we seldom thought of pants as regards a preference.

Re hunting slacks, again...well, one has choices and one develops preferences over Time...the OP received several suggestions.
I doubt he needs helping in picking tough jobs or tougher people.
If someone wants to dress up in some form of cloth armour that repells all but a direct missle strike or seeks to bell up as a model in the LL Bean catalog, they can.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm

RoostersMom wrote:

I liked the fit of the Duluth pants - plus they were pretty sturdy - unfortunately (and maybe because I'm of the female persuasion), the zipper kept coming down. Nothing like hunting with a new group of folks and having your girly pants showing from underneath. The zipper was a pain, but I doubt that would be an issue with a fella.

I really like the Riggs pants sold at Orscheln's. The fabric is like that "fire hose" fabric from Duluth. Pretty sturdy pants, mostly briar-proof plus they have good pockets and the loops for the belt are good. They also have a good pocket for your knife on the side and a hammer loop (sometimes I hang my cap gun on there).

Thanks for the warning!

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
This has been my question also. But I suspect the answer is that practically everyone has money in their pockets today. I grew up at the tail end of the depression when attitudes were so very different. I remember losing a shoe when I was four or five and having to look for it for the next couple of days because my folks had NO money to buy another pair. I also easily remember when raising my family of driving the old roads because I didn't have the money to pay the tolls on the good roads. And yet today, every time I offer a thought about dogs, clothes, guns, boats, or dog food being to high pieced and a waste of money or the fact that some young families may not have that to spend I get put down by so many. We have long discussions on this forum over guns, hunting vests, hunting boots, and dog foods that have large price differences and the advice from so many always is buy the expensive items because in the long run they are always cheaper. And if I say maybe they don't have the money the response is the purchase price is the cheapest part of owning the item or dog. Even when that is true, how do you compare the cost which is paid in one lump sum to the cost later to maintain or repair is spread out a little bit at a time over possibly years.

Nice to have money, but many that claim thry do, often are using credit or forgetting that they have family and friends and even their older years that do or will need help and when those times come the well is dry and someone else ends up paying the bills. I still think 5 dollars is a lot of money when your pockets are empty and the kids are hungry. Just a sign I am behind the times.
All of this from the guy that wears Insulated Carharts. The last time I priced Carharts they were about the same price as upland pants.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Deets wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

All of this from the guy that wears Insulated Carharts. The last time I priced Carharts they were about the same price as upland pants.
I have no idea what they cost back when I bought them or what they cost today. But I bought them when I was working outside in -40 degrees weather in northern WI and found I needed more so they became my favorite hunting garb when it was cool enough. I just have never bought single purpose clothes items as I never felt years ago I could afford them and in later years I never felt I wanted them. Always something that was needed way more than hunting clothes, new shotguns, expensive fish rods, and a whole lot of sporting goods. I probably would have had a different mind set if some how they would make me enjoy myself more. I found my enjoyment working dogs, teaching kids, and helping people who really needed it. As long as guns shoot ammo, cameras shoot film, and kids need to be educated on some things that may be more important than what they learn from a book, I think I spent my money wisely. And I am happy.

chwagn11

Post by chwagn11 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am

Early in the year I wear jeans when hunting grass, if it is going to be tumbleweeds and thistle I wear wrangler brush pants. If it is very wet out I wear LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83093?feat=hprrtop Gortex pants or Sheels waterproof pants with Under Armour underneath if is -20 outside. I really enjoy the lighter weight clothing made for walking all day. Jeans are always my favorite choice when I can.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Just old Wrangler jeans or their Ryder, ripstop work jeans. Chaps if I am in heavy cactus. I am tempted to try the Deluth Fire hose pants some day.

I carry a revolver with snake shot so I wear suspenders so my pants don't fall down.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 am

By far the best pantaluma's I've worn for hunting wiley chicken birds is Cabelas Trail Hikers II. Everything else I blow the crotch out...

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Just old Wrangler jeans or their Ryder, ripstop work jeans. Chaps if I am in heavy cactus. I am tempted to try the Deluth Fire hose pants some day.

I carry a revolver with snake shot so I wear suspenders so my pants don't fall down.
I tried the firehose pants, my only issue was they are really heavy. The crotch is not barbwire proof.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:06 pm

[quote="ezzy333 I agree that there are better pants than blue jeans to hunt in under poor conditions. But I have to laugh when we hear how uncomfortable and restrictive they are when you have to move like walking while hunting. Makes me wonder what you all do for work. Hunting is much like a walk in the park compared to the activity involved in farming as well as many other labor intensive jobs that the majority of people perform everyday. Try roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill. a plumber, carpenter, or a miner, who all wear jeans because of their comfort, protection, and durability. And after trying those jobs for a day or two, think you will find hunting is way to relax and take it easy for a day.

Ezzy[/quote]

Congratulations on your authentic blue collar status. But I thought this was a thread on HUNTING pants, not a rant on, well I am not sure what, since most people no longer do the work you describe above.

I walk a lot when I hunt. We may climb several thousand feet, or walk a dozen miles through rolling hills and thick grass before getting back to the truck. Even on the coldest days, insulated bibs are too heavy, hot and generally not well suited for covering ground. This is certainly more pleasant than "roofing a house, working in a steel mill or a feed mill" etc. But to compare the activities is pretty meaningless.

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm

I tried the firehose pants, my only issue was they are really heavy. The crotch is not barbwire proof.
Duluth make several different styles and thicknesses. The Brush pants are actually lighter than their Logger pants. Have both and they work great. Plus they will replace if you fray them. I`m trying but they do wear well. Deep pockets, large zipper tang, gusset crotch and comfortable. Love them.

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 am

Here is my experience. Where I hunt woodcock and grouse there are lots of wild roses, raspberry cane, and hawthorn and of course it can be raining. NO - I repeat NO nylon, cordura or similar faced product lasts more than 1/2 hour in this. The worse scenario of all is that the loose weave of the aforementioned facings actually snag thorn tips! While the stem breaks off the very tip of the rose thorn or hawthorn remains trapped in the weave. ....nothing more annoying!
A very sturdy waxed cotton face is the only product that holds up around here - where the birds are. While there are various styles and calibers of this material ALL of them hold up better than nylon or cordura (which might be nylon based and explains why).
In all cases the waxed cotton series are an over pant or chaps which provides for layering. Chaps obviously do not protect the crotch or keep you as dry but they still work depending on the weather and what you hunt. Filson single tins work well. The double tin is tougher but heavier and stiffer - not as comfortable over the long haul. Barbour makes an exceptional over-pant which gives complete protection - crotch and all. Australian Outback makes a lighter duty waxed over-pant as well. Nothing lasts forever but these products are tough, "virtually" thorn proof AND keep you dry, unlike nylon or cordura.
Then, when you go for lunch, these over-pants slide right off and your jeans (which you bought a little over-size because they are for hunting) are presentable as well as dry!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 am

"1/2 hour"?

It's a wonder the birds have any feathers left. :idea:

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 am

MY hunts are usually no more than a couple of hours here in MA and we're often charging off into bogs. I find a pair of hip boots works well as chaps for burrs, morning frost and for sloshing through swamps

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Mountaineer wrote:"1/2 hour"?

It's a wonder the birds have any feathers left. :idea:
I am wondering what the dogs look like after the day. Sounds like some pretty rough stuff.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 am

ezzy333 wrote:

In a previous discussion on guns, you said you used a 20 gauge because of it weight, and comfort was a big concern for you. I wear water resistant hunting pants for those same types of reasons. Like twenty gauge shells, you do pay a premium for them, but the trade off is comfort. It is sure more enjoyable for me the be dry in the field, than wet. I grew up farming, picked a lot of bean fields soaking wet and miserable in blue jeans and tennis shoes, worked at a feed mill, and roofed quite a few houses also. A pair of jeans cost me about $35, and quility pair of hunting pant at the end of season runs me about $60. So 5 years out I have spent $5 extra a year staying dry and comfortable, seems reasonable considering people shoot 20 gauge shells because they don't understand the value of the dollar.

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm

I will try to be more clear - I understand. 1/2 hour is all it takes before you are picking thorn tips out of your nylon/cordura.
OK.......I didn't actually look at my watch.
Our dogs are used to this but you make a good point.