Hunting vests or Jackets with hydration

Retiredbirddogman

Hunting vests or Jackets with hydration

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sun May 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Looking into carrying more water than just a bottle. Any thoughts on what works well? I am considering a camelbak system with 100oz capacity or possibly a hunting vest with built in water bladder. Please let me know what your experience has been, and recommendations. Thanks. P.S. Primarily for training and unpland bird hunting in Midwest.

luvthemud

Re: Hunting vests or Jackets with hydration

Post by luvthemud » Sun May 10, 2015 10:43 pm

I have a cabelas vest that has an area in the back for a fluid bladder. It also has a place to route the drinking hose. Not sure on the exact model I have, but I believe that a couple of cabelas higher end vests have bladder pouches.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Mon May 11, 2015 9:15 pm

I've also got a Cabela's vest with back pocket for a water bladder. I've used mine while hunting, trialing, and during hunt tests. I really like mine and recommend one. Mine is older and has a 191355 printed on the tag.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue May 12, 2015 7:42 am

I use a Camelback, so I am not limited to using it only while actually hunting. :D

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 12, 2015 7:50 am

I use a wingworks vest I bought from the PF marketplace. The bottles are HUGE, which is one main reason I bought it. I've found that dogs don't get near the benefit from the water if you're squirting it in their mouth - a lot is lost. I carry a Frisbee or a fold up water bowl in my vest and pour the water from the big bottles in there.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 am

I use an older model LL Bean technical upland vest. It has a camelbak pocket that holds my 70 oz bladder reasonably well (it's a little short) and will hold the 100 oz bladder well enough. It also has hip water bottle holders where I stash two 32 oz gatorade bottles for the dog.

My buddy has the cabelas upland pack that he's pretty happy with that is hydration compatible. The Badlands Birdvest is seems nice (I've only tried one in the store) and can hold a 100 oz bladder. I don't think it had water bottle holders. Lots of folks rave about the WingWorks vest, but I personally haven't used one. It appears to have pockets for rather large water bottles but no bladder pocket. Maybe someone who owns one can confirm.

None of these are your grandpappy's vest and have a price tag to prove it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 12, 2015 8:37 am

The wingworks vest doesn't have a bladder.....it has 100oz bottles (total). I, personally, don't like the bladders but that's because I think there is more water loss for the dogs. The vest is my favorite, and I've tried a whole bunch of them!

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

I use the ll bean technical vest pack: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78256?pa ... -vest-pack. I re-routed the hydration tube out the bottom for the dog. Yes, it wastes a little water but is super convenient. There is a loop on the back of the shell box pockets that contains the tube just fine.

The only thing I don't like about it are the shell box pockets. They hold a box of shells, box and all. However, they don't close very well. If you have a full box of 12ga 3" shells, expect to lose some. It' wouldn't come up, but they would not work at all for 3.5" shells. I'd rather have a couple of large pockets on the front. I could put shells in one and gloves/other junk in the other. It would be nice if you could move them as well. Folks have differing girths...

I also found the electronics pouches too small to be useful so I took them off. I clip my Alpha directly to one of the loops on the straps originally for the pouches.

The pack portion is really nice. In it I have a first aid kit, hat and gloves, leash, tools to open a trap, and some other random stuff. There is lots of extra room to pack a lunch, survival kit, and other stuff if venturing a lot farther than I usually do. When mostly empty it stays pretty flat and is not in the way. Carries really easy.

The bird pouch will hold 5-6 pheasants (I know this because my dog does most all of the retrieving and my hunting buddies may be on the opposite site of a coulee or something, not shooting over the limit!).

Overall I give it a B+

Do make sure to use the chest strap, it keeps the shoulder straps from interfering with your shoulder mount of the shotgun.

If you aren't fashion conscious it would make a dandy hiking day pack!

Edit - I use a off brand bladder http://www.amazon.com/Condor-1-5L-Hydra ... 70Z92R2BR8. It Is different that a camelbak, I was able to cut the bite valve off with a saw and it is now entirely controlled by the thumb valve. Works much better for watering a dog or filling a bowl.
Last edited by 41magsnub on Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Tue May 19, 2015 10:13 am

Browning Bird'n Lite Vest. Most comfortable vest ever for carrying a load. It has a Built-in rucksack that a 100 liter camelbak fits in nicely. It has 2 water bottle pockets as well. I carry a lot of water, I use the Built-in rucksack and carry two large Gatorade Squeeze Bottles. I drink from the camel pack and give the dogs water from the bottles. In the event I use all the dogs water I can give them water from the camelbac, Just squeeze the bite valve and a stream of water flows. So if you don't want your dogs mouth on your water source its not and issue.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 am

Retiredbirddogman wrote:Looking into carrying more water than just a bottle. Any thoughts on what works well? I am considering a camelbak system with 100oz capacity or possibly a hunting vest with built in water bladder. Please let me know what your experience has been, and recommendations. Thanks. P.S. Primarily for training and unpland bird hunting in Midwest.
Year's ago I thought I would like to carry water. Here in the northeast I can get by with carrying a bottle of water which can be refilled from reservoir I keep at the truck. I bought a vest that was made to attach a camelbak to and a camelbak. I used it one time and felt it was easier for us to just carry the bottle as we always did. Were always hunting where water is often found also.( My upland boots are 18" rubber :D ) That said to the O/P if you want to go this way & I would say in the mid-west the camelbak would probably work nicely. Shoot me a p/m and I would be happy to send your pup our once used camelbak to accent your new vest. This way spend a little more on a vest and the camelbak didn't cost you anything it measure about 7 inches wide x 18 inches long I also had purchased an easy on /off valve for easy watering. It is currently hanging on the wall where I placed it a couple yrs ago. I would like to see it get used. Check gun dog supply they have nice stuff.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed May 20, 2015 6:50 am

RoostersMom wrote:The wingworks vest doesn't have a bladder.....it has 100oz bottles (total). I, personally, don't like the bladders but that's because I think there is more water loss for the dogs. The vest is my favorite, and I've tried a whole bunch of them!
WingWorks DOES offer two different bladders as accessories that fit their vest. Or they have a 54 oz. bottle that fits in the pouch on the game bag. This would be in addition to the two 32 oz. bottles that come with the vest. I find the two 32 oz. bottles to be more than sufficient. Adding much more water will greatly increase the weight of the vest. And like someone else said, take along a collapsible cup to pour the water into and it will take less to water your dog than squirting it in their mouth.

The WW vest is a great vest. Extremely well made and durable. I've had mine for 6-7 years and it looks as good today as when I bought it other than a few blood stain.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Rik

Post by Rik » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I really like my Wing Works vest, but, I really didn't like the water bottle holders. The bottles slide in easily when dry but are very difficult to get out or back in when wet from condensation or spillage. I use a folding water bowl for my Setter to avoid losing most of the squirted water so I have to take the bottles in and out to fill the water bowl. I added a couple of military bottle/ammo drop bags to the belt and they work perfectly. Does add some cost to the vest.

On a long hunt I use the game bag bottle, and use bird hangers for any birds I might accidently shoot or if I have my Chessie out on an upland hunt. (She points and backs! But she drinks all the water I can carry in about an hour in warm weather.