Grouse and ptarmigan hunting in Norway - video

Settepotet

Grouse and ptarmigan hunting in Norway - video

Post by Settepotet » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:07 am

Hello all

I'm a grouse and ptarmigan hunter from Norway. Last year we got a labrador gun dog, and we brought him with us on some short hunts. For our experiences in the Norwegian mountains, see the video below. My dog, Balder (named after the norse god Baldur) is featured in the start of the video, and at the 13 minutes mark.

We now know it was a bit early for him to hunt, and he also is way to eager in the video. Good retrieves though. He is way better trained now, but we are still working on steady on flush, and when shot is fired. Going forward!

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/VDDRvp2gXxg

DudeRN

Re: Grouse and ptarmigan hunting in Norway - video

Post by DudeRN » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 pm

excellent video. you have a nice eye for film making. Baldur looks like a good dog, and he seems to be having a lot of fun.

at what kind of ranges were you taking most of your birds? I think the camera probably makes the distances look longer, but I would guess 30 to 40 meters?

is this an area near where you live, or do you have to travel for a ways to get out to your cabin? It looks like beautiful country, reminds me of what it looks like above the treeline in the mountains here in New Hampshire. I wish we had that many birds to hunt.

thanks for posting your video!

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Very nice! Love the bit where the little girl smells the spent shell!

Settepotet

Post by Settepotet » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:34 am

DudeRN wrote:excellent video. you have a nice eye for film making. Baldur looks like a good dog, and he seems to be having a lot of fun.

at what kind of ranges were you taking most of your birds? I think the camera probably makes the distances look longer, but I would guess 30 to 40 meters?

is this an area near where you live, or do you have to travel for a ways to get out to your cabin? It looks like beautiful country, reminds me of what it looks like above the treeline in the mountains here in New Hampshire. I wish we had that many birds to hunt.

thanks for posting your video!
Forgot to answer regarding ranges.

The range is mostly between 20-30 meters. The GoPro "adds" a bit of distance.

The rock ptarmigan here in Norway is very easy to flush, so we therefor get these pretty long ranges..