Tips for a puppys first rabbit hunt

jackp

Tips for a puppys first rabbit hunt

Post by jackp » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:10 am

Hey guys,

just wondering if you guys have any tips for a 6m lab puppy before he embarks on his first hunt!
recall and obedience is going great, more after tips when in the field. He will be going with an experienced 2yr old dog.
Should i let him just follow the experienced dog or hold him back and let him hunt off a leash?

Thanks!

Jake888

Re: Tips for a puppys first rabbit hunt

Post by Jake888 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:03 am

Advice is going to depend on how you plan to hunt bunnies. If you are planning on having him pursue the rabbit like a beagle then just get him on a track and let him rip!! He'll circle the rabbit back to you.

If you're planning on having the pup point or flush bunnies to the gun, then the dog needs to be steady after the flush and hold until sent for the retrieve. A lot of guys on here like to get their pups geared up on birds first, and once they're steady they will begin to shoot rabbits if the dog points them, but many of the British trainers start there pointing/flushing dogs on rabbits and then move to birds. Overall, the dog must locate the rabbit and be steady after the flush to ensure a safe shot.

Good luck!

Jake888

Post by Jake888 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:09 am

Continuing my last reply...... For his first hunt, if you are having him flush, my advice would be to hunt him on a check cord so when he locates a rabbit, and it bolts, you can keep him from chasing and have him whoa. Once you've got him calmed and steady, praise him up and go get another one. Won't take long for him to learn locating is the game, not chasing.

Mattaponikennels

Post by Mattaponikennels » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 pm

I breed and train rabbit beagles. A couple years ago I bought a small lab for my wife. I now use him for waterfowl and rabbit hunting. When I realized he would jump a rabbit I began to bring him out with my beagles. I put him on a check cord and walked him through the thicket until he jumped a rabbit. Once the rabbit was up I would have him heel and call the beagles over to run the track. He now flushes, returns to me, and waits until the shot. Then he runs to shooter and retrieves the rabbit. If you want him to flush the rabbit like he would a bird I would train him the same way. Will make for some good jump shooting. Labs are a unique and fun way to rabbit hunt