Ptarmigan Colorado

chwagn11

Ptarmigan Colorado

Post by chwagn11 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 am

With the new hunting season quickly approaching I want to start early by looking for some ptarmigan in Colorado, I have done some hiking this summer looking for the birds and have not found any. Where are some good areas to go look? The problem I see is without access by road to the high country the dogs may be worn out by the time you get to the top. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thank you

Fun dog

Re: Ptarmigan Colorado

Post by Fun dog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 am

The dogs will not be worn out! Now you, on the other hand, may be quite tired. Hunting ptarmigan is not for the faint of heart, but you should see some lovely country.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 am

As a native to Colorado (I live in Kansas City now) I used to do a lot of bird hunting on the eastern slope. I also hunted sage hens up in the Gunnison National Forest, many years ago. But I only went after Ptarmigan once! I had a good friend who was a Viet Nam era Marine Officer. One day he called me up and said lets go after some Ptarmigan. He warned me we had to walk up above timberline. Now I was raised in the mountains, so climbing above timberline did not particularly bother me, of course I disregarded the fact that I was now years older and 50lbs. heavier, than when I was a kid in the mountains. Off we went!

As I recall we traveled up into the South Park area and drove back into the 'buffalo Peaks' area. We then picked out the 'highest' mountain and up we went! Half way up I was about dead as my former marine officer lead me forward. Early on I decided I was on a good old fashion 'snipe hunt'. I was waiting for my marine guide to ditch me at any minute. I knew we were not going to find any birds on top this mountain. We finally got above timberline and started moving over to the sunny side of the mountain. To my complete surprise, as we rounded a rocky area, up flew a dozen Ptarmigans'. After the dust had settled two birds were down! We tried to follow the birds just like you follow a bunch of quail after you bust them up, but to no avail. We were never able to find another bird on that mountain, but my friend, feeling sorry for me, let me have both the birds. Delicious they were!

The moral here is you can ALWAYS trust the MARINES.... Semper Fi, Do or Die!

Watermen

Post by Watermen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Like any of the native grouse, the earlier you go the better IMHO. Early the birds will be spread out and still in smaller family groups. I don't know if there are willow or rock in CO. Early they will be high and move down to bushes and foraging areas as fall progresses. Later if you find them there will be bigger groups, but unless they are in a valley the rocks will sail off one cliff and land on another sometimes 2 days hike away. Think chukar only on steroids. Good luck and go early it will get you in such good shape the rest of the hunting season will seem like a walk in the park. Iff you go real high take time to sit for awhile and enjoy the view, it's worth the hike itself.

tarpon303

Post by tarpon303 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey,
So I hunt Ptarmys here a lot. They are about the last bird that I have saw the need for a dog for, but that's kind of irrelevant to this reply. For the most part I almost have to kick them to get them to wing. I hunted them with a bow last year. Where are you in CO? Timewise said it...go high. There are several good spots in Summit County. There are a few areas above Green Mountain Rez that I really like. There are some good spots just outside of the town of Yampa (between Kremmling and Steamboat), up in the Flat Top Wilderness area. Early season you HAVE to go above timberline. Don't discount North Park either. There it is...hope that helps.