Kansas lodge for pheasant and quail?

Makintrax73

Kansas lodge for pheasant and quail?

Post by Makintrax73 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Thinking I may try to do a couple day trip this year with the new dog. I was also thinking it would be cool to go somewhere that offers a mixed bag of pheasant and quail, wild birds in numbers to have a fair chance at 2 or 3 roosters a day along with a couple conveys. Willing to pay a fair price, but I don't need anything fancy. I've looked up a few lodges, and a bunch require a group. Well if I get to do this it may well just be the dog and I.

Anyone have any experience with a place that might work?

I know they have WIHA, but I'm not willing to risk spending a short couple days scouting and not finding anything. I'm self employed and can't afford a week off.

Thanks for any advice.

Big bloc

Re: Kansas lodge for pheasant and quail?

Post by Big bloc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm

You might try this link. I found some as low as $100 per day per gun. Good luck.http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/USA/Kansas/
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:18 am

Big bloc wrote:You might try this link. I found some as low as $100 per day per gun. Good luck.http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/USA/Kansas/

Do you have any experience hunting at any of these locations?

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:27 am

Hey guys, since I haven't been able to get any personal recommendations I went ahead and guessed as best I could.

According to the KDWPT it looked like the areas around Pratt and Edwards Counties in the central area of the state might

be good for both pheasant and quail numbers. I didn't have much luck finding a lodge in that area on the net, so I went

one county east into Reno, and booked with Irish Creek Outfitters owned by Steven Westfahl. Steve was very pleasant

to speak with on the phone. We'll see how it goes in December, and I'll try to remember to post a report.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm

Might try this. Sound like a mix bag. http://www.prairiewindhunting.com/. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

chwagn11

Post by chwagn11 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:47 am

Don't waste your money. Get a walk in atlas drive and hunt the fields, you will kill your limit of pheasants each day and have an opportunity at quail on the correct sites.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 pm

chwagn11 wrote:Don't waste your money. Get a walk in atlas drive and hunt the fields, you will kill your limit of pheasants each day and have an opportunity at quail on the correct sites.
I certainly considered just this, but I figured for as little vacation as I get it was worth it to up my odds on private land. My hunt will be during deer rifle season also, and being on property where deer hunters aren't makes me rest easier.

Good to hear positive reports on WIHA land though. I read some complaints of no birds, and for a few hundred bucks that includes a place to sleep and a little advice I figured what the neck.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:35 am

A group of us just booked a 1/2 day hunt in El dorado. We plan on hunting public land with my dog near rush and russell counties after that. We're headed up the second to last weekend of November. Remind me, and when I get back I'll give you a report on the public land up there.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 pm

808allday wrote:A group of us just booked a 1/2 day hunt in El dorado. We plan on hunting public land with my dog near rush and russell counties after that. We're headed up the second to last weekend of November. Remind me, and when I get back I'll give you a report on the public land up there.

That would be great, thanks!

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I've always done poorly on wiha.. maybe i am just unlucky.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Hey man, as I promised I wanted to leave you with a scouting report. Keep in mind that I hunted only public land. I'm really glad we did a paid hunt first because it was a frustrating couple of days for our group. All of the land north of hays was a barren wasteland
I covered a lot of the state looking for good public land. Most field are stubble of milo, too small for cover, the rest was milo fields where they had actually baled up the stubble and left the groumd bare. After talking with locals we headed to greensburg, which is one of two places we found birds. Up in liebenthal and lacrosse area. In total we found 2 roosters and a covey of about 10 quail. Most of the public land has been absolutely hammered and there isn't much left of a small population. If I were you I would drive on through and hit the dakotas. My dog is top notch and we walked the better part of 3000+ acres, there just weren't many birds.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:51 am

Ouch. Doesn't sound too good.

My trip is already booked. Hopefully the lodge has some private land with decent bird numbers.

Not the first time I've read WIHA's are a waste of a trip unfortunately.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 am

Smokyriverrend.com have everything your looking for plus!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm here at Irish Creek Lodge. Steve has a nice place. Comfortable, clean, and a very reasonable price. Spent a little time on his controlled shooting area in the AM. Went out onto some of his outlying properties in PM. Saw four coveys, and four pheasants on the wild bird properties. Way to hot. 64 in the PM. The pup had several good points, including two coveys on the wild bird areas. I think the dog is used up with this heat. Hope I get a half day out of him early. He is showing improvement!!

ETA: forecast for 70 today. Dog looks ragged. I hope we find a couple birds early because it's gonna be a short hunt for day two. :?

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:03 am

Short day Wednesday. Hunted 2 hours early on 160 ac. with a couple of creek bottoms. Dog pushed a pheasant out of a thicket. Got lucky with the direction and put the bird down hard. Broke my rule for the trip of shooting pointed birds. No idea whether Ace pointed in that thicket or not. Called it at 10am. Getting hot. Did not cover the property. Steve says there are quail there, he's surprised I didn't see any.

Went back out at 3pm in a place Ace found a covey close to the road. 66 deg. Ace pointed one covey, and I put one bird down after two misses. Called it after not finding any follow up singles at 1 1/2 hours. A lot of misses on quail this trip. Think I went 2 birds for 12 shots. Pheasants went 2 for 5 shots.

Going back out this am for an hour. Then drive back home to IL. Fun trip.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:57 am

I read your post on ultimate pheasant forum lol Don't worry about what you said I loved it they have the biggest cry babies on any site around, the mods are pathetic but they do know how to over mod for sure, next time you come over to ks let me know I will hit a field with you I love hunting ks and public ground!!

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:21 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:I read your post on ultimate pheasant forum lol Don't worry about what you said I loved it they have the biggest cry babies on any site around, the mods are pathetic but they do know how to over mod for sure, next time you come over to ks let me know I will hit a field with you I love hunting ks and public ground!!
Thanks. I do hope I can make it back. I know SD has more birds, but something about seeing pheasants and quail in the same areas is so cool. It was a fun couple of days.