Northern wisconsin

dugger13

Northern wisconsin

Post by dugger13 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:46 am

I have been out 3 times so far in Northern wisconsin. Grouse numbers are up where i have been. Bagged 2 grouse yesterday, flushed 5 total, and also 4 woodcocks. Bagged 3 woodcocks sat morning before the heat. Have not seen much for woodcocks yet, but still plenty of leaves to look at. Another hot week here in wisconsin, so leaves may not be falling anytime soon.

Grange

Re: Northern wisconsin

Post by Grange » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 am

This past weekend I finally noticed some change in colors. This is later than I am used to. It was like a switch went on because two weekends ago I was surprise how little color there was. I'm not convinced the color season will be late just yet. The transition can move quickly if mother nature decides.

As far as numbers I haven't noticed much of a difference from last year. I'm finding anywhere from 4 to 10 birds a each time out (2-3 hours) with probably 2/3 to 3/4 or more being grouse. I haven't noticed much in the way of covies or immature birds. Plenty of smaller birds but all have had tail feathers.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Northern wisconsin

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 am

I went out for the first time this weekend; I like to wait until Woodcock opens and I and my dog hate heat. Do pointed 12-14 Woodcock and 4-5 Grouse in three hours. Seems to me the Woodcock may be up and the Grouse down but that's an observation based on one day of hunting.

I do road my dog from a bicycle and nearly every time we were out this year, she pointed at least one woodcock. That has never happened before.

Still mighty hot in the woods and lots of bugs. Yuk.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.