Minnesota grouse reports

MN Bonasa

Minnesota grouse reports

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone's seeing many birds yet this fall. I haven't been out yet but plan on going out some this weekend. I had a friend hunt the Orr area on opener and said it was poor.
But then again lots of leaves and cover still out there. I will start getting more excited in about two weeks.

MNTonester

Re: Minnesota grouse reports

Post by MNTonester » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 am

took the dogs out Sunday afternoon. flushed one bird - never saw it (near Clover Valley/Two Harbors) I'm sure the area was pretty well hit opening day and Sunday morning, but I mainly wanted to introduce the pup to gunfire. He seems to have come through with flying colors. Now for some birds.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:57 pm

I got out on opening day for a few hours. Has action from 7 birds, shot at three, missed them all. Got out Thursday for 4 hours. Had action from 14 or 15 different birds, shot at 5, got two of the three I should have. There's plenty of birds if you know where to look.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:50 am

The Breeder I got my 10 month old Llewellin from just posted this pic of my Whip's parents, Duncan and Pixel with a grouse he shot in the UP. Wonderful Photo to see since my little guy's one of Pixel's most recent offspring.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=569E5156

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:06 pm

cpinkert wrote:I got out on opening day for a few hours. Has action from 7 birds, shot at three, missed them all. Got out Thursday for 4 hours. Had action from 14 or 15 different birds, shot at 5, got two of the three I should have. There's plenty of birds if you know where to look.

if you wouldn't mind sharing where you where looking?
seems to be a very slow start to the season for ruffs grouse 2.5 hours north of you, so I've been focusing my time in woodcock and sharptail country, seem your having some very good luck, sure seems like the numbers are way down in my normal area

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:31 pm

With all the rain we've had the vast majority of the birds are in or close to pines. Tag alders not close to pines held a few as well.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Went out this afternoon in the aitkin area, and flushed 6 grouse plus 5 woodcock. I had shots at 2 of the grouse (they flushed together) and two of the woodcock. Due to poor shooting I only left with 2 woodcock. All the birds were buried in the dogwood and alders.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:27 pm

I was out the past three mornings. Friday had action from around 15 different birds, no woodcock, had one decent shot and missed it. Saturday had action from close to twenty birds, shot at 6, had good shots at 2 and got one of those. Today had action from 17 or 18 different birds, plus 4 woodcock (first I've seen this year), got 5 grouse and 1 woodcock. Finished the day with a loooonnnng retrieve on a wounded bird. Proud moment since my Brit doesn't reliably retrieve. Seems like she prefers to retrieve the tough ones more than the ones I can come get!

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Got out for a few hours this weekend and ended up with 1 grouse and 1 woodcock. Flushed 8 grouse and 3 woodcock for about 5 hours of trail walking. Had some nice dog work especially on the woodcock they sure are fun birds for the dog. Hearing some good reports that very encouraging. Be back at it this weekend and should get better as the leaves drop.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Went out again today. Moved 8 grouse and 3 woodcock in a few hours of hunting. I bagged two of the grouse and whiffed badly on one woodcock. It was nice and cool in the morning, but the afternoon/evening was pretty warm. Also had some good dog work, particularly out of my spaniel.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 am

Got out before work for a trail on Friday morning, saw 5 grouse none of which offered a good shot. Got out for a trail after work on Friday (had a work conference near some of my favorite trails so I brought the dog!), saw 6 grouse and 5 woodcock, shot the two grouse that gave me decent shots and missed three woodcock that I shot at. The dog retrieved both of the grouse...which, again, is a new thing for her! Got out Saturday morning for a few hours with a buddy. It was pretty windy and warm, which made it less than ideal conditions, but we still saw 8 or 9 grouse and 3 woodcock. Got one woodcock. All of the grouse were flying low and away from us that morning. Too low for a safe shot around the dog. Got out yesterday morning for a few hours with a photographer (I'll post some pics when I get them back). Man was it warm! Saw 7 or 8 grouse and 2 woodcock. Had decent shots at 2 grouse and 2 woodcock, got one grouse and one woodcock. Also had a few solid points on birds in areas open enough for good pictures. Hoping some of those turn out as the pup was certainly showing off for the camera! Cut Saturday and Sunday short due to temps, not worth it.