Protective vest

Tooling

Protective vest

Post by Tooling » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Now that October is here :D

Pheasants will be the main focus however I am also very much hoping to get my dog some exposure to Grouse this year..this means an awful lot of time in the woods & I would like to get a spare or potentially replacement protective vest for him.

He has a tummy saver when it's needed (not often) and it's okay but for the velcro strapping which can come loose at times, it also rides up him a bit..

Having never owned anything Filson, I hear good things about their material regarding resilience (I typically buy Carrhart for myself) I have no desire to have pup impaled by an upright stick or some other spear like object..

Anybody have experience with this one?

Does it stay put? True to size? (Thinking medium - 50# fully developed shorthair)

http://www.filson.com/collections/filso ... ector.html

FoxRed

Re: Protective vest

Post by FoxRed » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:24 am

I do not have the Filson, but my dog has been wearing the LL bean skid plate. Fits well and seems durable. I can't justify buying anywhere else when LL Bean has a lifetime warranty no matter what.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48166?fe ... tId=831375

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:18 pm

I have never found an article of protection for a dog that didn't end up causing more problems than they solve when the dog is in the field. And I think my dogs agree with me when they tend to sulk when I would try putting something on them. And invariably we ended up with sore spots where something rubbed or something got under it and rubbed a sore spot. I think the hair coat should be enough protection and is something you should think about before choosing a breed.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Same here- sore spots no matter how I fitted them- I have had some beaver cut samplings go into ones chest last year- some EMT GEL and all was well.
Stuffs going to happen and I try my best to be prepared- but the rubbing and then the dogs sitting around all night licking was too much for me.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Gentlemen, thank you

FR - I'll have a look at the LL Bean - I have seen other positive remarks about that one. Assuming proper fit - no chaffing etc?

Ezzy I also appreciate your input..your experience mirrors what I find with the tummy saver - I've never had any other vest before and as I stated, I hardly use it. I'll use it at our training grounds early when the beans are still in b/c they are just the right height for him to come back near bloody chested after skimming across the tops. (These are planted crops for wildlife, not a farmers livelihood being trampled upon). Of course the Filson is somewhat expensive and I sure don't want to spend tons of cash going through vest after vest to try and find the magic one - so again, your input is much appreciated.

I hear these horror stories about dogs speared and even know a few folks who have had this happen..risks are part of the deal and that's reality..just trying to mitigate is all..

Have worked with the dog to handle barbed wire but of course that's always a concern nonetheless...guess I had better get me one of those staplers to toss in the back seat b/c we are "bleep" sure not going to set at home :lol:

Certainly not hung up on Filson by any means and chaffing from the vest is definitely a concern- just want something that stays put and doesn't chap the dog up or get him hung up.

Tummy saver has velcro closures - the downside is that the closures will give / on the upside - the closures will give :?

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Check out Sylmar vests. My father uses them with his brittanies and loves them. He doesn't get the sore spots like my dogs did with two different types of vests I tried. The only downside he's found is they can be warm when it's warm outside and they can pick up snow and turn it into ice creating its own issues.

http://sylmardogwear.com/

reba

Post by reba » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:35 pm

I agree with ezzy. The best field vest I used to spot my dogs in the distance is not longer made. It was cheap and very visible. If a dog got hung up it would rip or tear off and I thought that was a good thing! Now the replacement is supper tuff and I'm afraid will hang a dog. Some folks just don't get it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have never found an article of protection for a dog that didn't end up causing more problems than they solve when the dog is in the field. And I think my dogs agree with me when they tend to sulk when I would try putting something on them. And invariably we ended up with sore spots where something rubbed or something got under it and rubbed a sore spot. I think the hair coat should be enough protection and is something you should think about before choosing a breed.
Might be a first but I absolutely agree. I would rather take a chance on something happening than be sure of it . Burrs under a skid plate can cause some serious issues. Good job Ezzy...............Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:13 pm

There are a good number of pointers and shaved setters running in cover dog trials without serious injury, and those dogs run with reckless abandon. I have seen them run through slash, burrs, and thorns at top speed, if any dog would be hurt it would be them.

I have never even considered using one.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:56 am

There are times when a vest would make a difference...barbed wire being one.
But, the downsides are there...for mine, running at speed thru the woods can find a loose vest an issue...even one more snug when stobs are always waiting....potterers, less of an issue.
Vests are often more for a dog owner feel good than actual need....often vest wear appears for dog notice on crowded shoot areas, I work to avoid crowds tho.
Stil, I carry a vest of a reasonable fit for any of the dogs and that is because they can protect an earlier injury...or a new one.
One could always assume to ignore the downsides of burrs, heat, run-slamming stops and more for the always prepared angle and who is to judge for another and their own dog's particulars but, I'll tote one and pray I never need it.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:51 am

Neil wrote:There are a good number of pointers and shaved setters running in cover dog trials without serious injury, and those dogs run with reckless abandon. I have seen them run through slash, burrs, and thorns at top speed, if any dog would be hurt it would be them.

I have never even considered using one.
Very true, but keep in mind those dogs (mine is one of them) are only going for an hour during the trial and when training aren't going all day either. When a dog is hunting for several hours a day for a week straight the dogs belly will get beaten up quite a bit. I do not use a protective vest on my setter, but not because I don't think they work well. I can't find one that fits my dog well and my lab doesn't go out with reckless abandon like she used to so one isn't needed anymore. When I compare my setter's underside to my father's Brittany's undersides after a week of hunting my setter's underside is much more scratched and raw. One does not need a vest and I've already mentioned the down sides, but on extended hunts they do help protect the dogs.

As far as getting burrs, other seeds, raspberry stems or other thorny sticks under the vest I haven't noticed it ever being more of an issue compared to dogs without vests. The handler should be periodically checking the dog out for these anyway especially on longhaired dogs.

One protective gear I would have bought in a second if it was available would have been eye protection. When my lab was in her prime she hunted I was making repeated trips to the vet because she always injured her eyes. For 4 years it was guaranteed I'd make a trip to the vet at least once with my lab. Sweet Cicely seeds were the worst. I've had much better luck with my setter.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm

The eye problems you speak of are generally due to physical make up of the eye and eye socket. Labs many times have problems with a lose or baggy lower eye lid some what like a hound has and while it causes little problem when water retrieving it can be a real problem when running in grass or weeds that have seed heads showing. I was always particular about the eyes when we were breeding Britts but I think it is an area too few breeders consider with most breeds of sporting dogs and hounds and then we pay the price when the pups grow up and get into the field.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks to all that have replied, it has been very helpful.

Based on the experiences that have been shared along with some more thought on it, it seems I am creating a problem that does not exist.

As mentioned, the dog has a Tummy Saver. It's not used often but when it is it does not chap the dog at all. It also doesn't seem to inhibit or bother him to wear it. It does come loose and bunch up a bit at times which I get annoyed with but the alternative to the straps not giving creates more of a risk over convenience than it's possibly worth.

UglyD - I'm sorry to hear that your dogs have found some of those beaver cut saplings..those suckers are the real deal and just the right (wrong) height too.

I think the risk of losing the vest because of straps that give is the lesser of all evils.

Now I guess I will endorse the tummy saver as a fair balance of virtues & a viable vest for the times it's a good idea to use..thanks again.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:59 am

I use mendota skid plates for my dogs. The only issue I've noticed is snow getting clumped in between it and the dog. But that happens to my spaniel either way. And it definitely saves my pointer some wear and tear.

I hunt public lands and it seems most of the lands were farms at one point, which means barbed wire.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Just had a porcupine spear my dog 3 days ago. I am a FIRM believer that his skid plate saved his life seeing where the majority of the quills struck him. before the incident, he had no issues with it on. The one I use on him is sold at LL Bean for $50. I highly recommend it (no Velcro)

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:48 pm

SHaRPS wrote:Just had a porcupine spear my dog 3 days ago. I am a FIRM believer that his skid plate saved his life seeing where the majority of the quills struck him. before the incident, he had no issues with it on. The one I use on him is sold at LL Bean for $50. I highly recommend it (no Velcro)
That sounds like a pretty serious incident w/a porcupine..sorry to hear of that but I sure am glad your dog is okay due to the vest.

Thank you for sharing

I've been fortunate to have never come across a porcupine with the dog(s) *knock on wood*

I would not have guessed they were that serious outside of a muzzle full of quills?

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:22 am

Tooling wrote:
SHaRPS wrote:Just had a porcupine spear my dog 3 days ago. I am a FIRM believer that his skid plate saved his life seeing where the majority of the quills struck him. before the incident, he had no issues with it on. The one I use on him is sold at LL Bean for $50. I highly recommend it (no Velcro)
That sounds like a pretty serious incident w/a porcupine..sorry to hear of that but I sure am glad your dog is okay due to the vest.

Thank you for sharing

I've been fortunate to have never come across a porcupine with the dog(s) *knock on wood*

I would not have guessed they were that serious outside of a muzzle full of quills?
Thank you. I couldn't believe it happened when it happened to be honest. Last thing I was expecting. I don't have porcupines here in southern New England so this whole thing up north was just crazy. I hope you and others never have to deal with this as well. According to the Vet, A LOT of dogs die within minutes if they get quilled in the organs. Even if it gets in the blood stream it can cause serious damage and or death..... I never knew as well. Now I am a huge advocate for these skid plates.... couldn't imagine losing him on his 1 year birthday.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 am

I have never heard of a dog being severely injured by a porky. I have little experience with them but am wondering how many of you that run into them often have ever had a real problem

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have never heard of a dog being severely injured by a porky. I have little experience with them but am wondering how many of you that run into them often have ever had a real problem

ezzy333 - again, I have no experience with porcupines other than what just happened to us, what I witnessed, and what the vet said. but here are a few links that may change your perspective on porcupines.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 57/?no-ist

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dogdise ... d-Dogs.htm

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 am

Yes, Porkies can be a huge problem even to death. Never heard of a dog dying within minutes, but the quils can migrate and eventually kill the dog. My brother lost one of his goldens to a a porky. It's one of my biggest concerns when out with our dogs and a reason that I like the dogs to wear a vest of some sort. If you are seeing wear spots on the dog then the vest doesn't fit properly and you will need to make some adjustments. I've had to do that with any vest my dog has worn as dogs are not generic in size.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 am

Lucky for us his vest fits him perfectly!

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:43 pm

I was talking to a fellow trialer this weekend at a cover dog trial about protective vests. He pulled out a Mendota (?) vest and said after he held his buddies dog on the drive to the vet after it got impaled with a stick he doesn't hunt without one. It looked much like the vest above that SHaRPS posted. He said it doesn't get too hot and also helps protect the underside on long hunts as well.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Grange wrote:I was talking to a fellow trialer this weekend at a cover dog trial about protective vests. He pulled out a Mendota (?) vest and said after he held his buddies dog on the drive to the vet after it got impaled with a stick he doesn't hunt without one. It looked much like the vest above that SHaRPS posted. He said it doesn't get too hot and also helps protect the underside on long hunts as well.
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER hunt again without one. I swear this saved his life and if at the very least it deterred another 100 quills from his chest/belly area. He turned 1 the day it happened and I couldn't imagine losing him that day to a porcupine after working so hard to get him to where he's at. My GSP is my best buddy.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:19 pm

I run with a Cabelas brand skid plate. My dogs are guiding dogs part of the year. We typically hunt 6 to 8 hours a day for up to 6 days at a shot. Only see minor irritation normally when I miss something caught in the vest. Will not run with out them anymore. No dogs being down due to being rubbed raw on the underside.