Emergency Closure of Pheasant Hunting in NH

DudeRN

Emergency Closure of Pheasant Hunting in NH

Post by DudeRN » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 pm

I just read that there is an emergency closure of state pheasant stocking sites by the New Hampshire Fish and Game for this Thursday and Friday (10/22-10/23) from 7:00 a.m. to noon.

F&G usually stocks/restocks on Thursdays and Fridays, and this week is the last restock for the season. Apparently there was an incident last week with a non-life threatening shooting. Sounds like someone was shooting at pheasants as they were being released. :roll: Verrrrry ethical.

Personally, I have long thought it would be a good idea to close hunting on stocking days, for at least part of the day. Do other states have restrictions like this in place on a permanent basis?

NC Quailhunter

Re: Emergency Closure of Pheasant Hunting in NH

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:52 am

There is always one that ruins things for others because of a lack of ethics. I wish this state did a stocking program.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:04 am

First, glad it was not an outbreak of avian influenza as that can require hatcheries to be nuked and is a true concern these days but, I have not seen a no-hunting on release day requirement.
I have seen a distance requirement for shooting near release trucks.....which is sad in itself as it must have been needed at one time.
Be it birds or feesh......some folks need to kill stuff real bad and the easier for them, the better.
"Hunter" is a very loosely defined word...birds, fish or deer.

It sounds like NH is taking reasonable immediate steps and will refine as wisdom indicates.
Options exist for those wishing to utilize such a program more safely...which is good as the programs have a niche in the greater scheme of opportunities or lack thereof.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 am

There should def be a restriction on hunting during stocking.

My gun club is closed to hunting on Fridays.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

I've seen this happen before too...first trip w/pup in PA - the hunt lasted all of about 8 seconds..saw what was going on and packed it in for the day w/many weekdays and treks into areas off of the beaten path ahead of us...I don't get it at all.

As the saying goes..some people are hunters and some people are shooters.

This will likely prompt your state to enact a new rule or two and as much as I despise more Govt - that is likely not a bad thing in this case.

I really don't get it..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 am

You all need to remember there are shooters and there are hunters. We have allowed to many shooters to be identified as hunters and they are not. We need to clean up our own act before it becomes necessary for the state or some others to do it for us. It gives us all a bad name with the uninformed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 am

Legal hunting hours end at sunset in RI. I am pretty sure my state stocks birds AFTER sunset unlike what it sounds like with others.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:13 pm

So the unintended consequence of the emergency closure was that when I went out late yesterday afternoon, my favorite two hunting spots were overrun with hunters. apparently a lot of people didn't know they stock on Thursdays and Fridays. not necessarily the result Fish and Game was looking for, although I am glad it was safer for their staff while stocking.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 pm

When our Conservation area stalks , no one is told. Secret! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

deke

Post by deke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:11 pm

our areas close down at 4pm and they usually are in the parking lot waiting to release at about 4:30 give the birds the night to move around.

Russ2491

Post by Russ2491 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:32 am

When I lived in WY if people would follow the stocking truck they would turn around and go back to the game farm.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow, I knew some places stocked birds but didn't realize it was so prevalent. I don't believe Minnesota stocks anymore, but if I'm wrong, I would like someone to correct me.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.