What time?

Jordan Cramer

What time?

Post by Jordan Cramer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:27 pm

What time of day do you have the most luck finding birds? Is there a slow time at midday as a result of birds "loafing" in wooded areas? Are evenings the best due to the covey gathering up for the night?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: What time?

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:59 pm

What "birds"?

I find ruffed grouse and woodcock at all times of the day based upon targeting appropriate cover tho 10:00 and 5:00 ish times are favored for the scenting conditions, with the very last hour of the day, my favorite.
Woodcock do not covey...nor do ruffed grouse tho they can each congregate or collect for various reasons.
Pretty much the same for pheasants....I have found pheasants congregating around old house sites midday but that is often about the quality of the surrounding cover rather than enjoyable loafing for the critters.
However, at the core, I rely on the dogs for finding the gamebirds.

Jordan Cramer

Post by Jordan Cramer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Mainly quail here. A few woodcock from time to time. I was just curious to hear if others had a favorite time of day to hunt. It's interesting to hear about the other game birds and their characteristics as well.

33Scout

What time?

Post by 33Scout » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm

I agree with Mountaineer. I like to put the dog down in the AM while there is still a little dew on the ground. In the evening the scenting conditions pick up the later it gets. I basically like to hunt all day. Can't find birds sitting on the recliner. Well, at least I haven't yet..

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I don't like to hunt quail after 2pm or so if it's going to be a cold night. They benefit from being grouped in a covey at sunset. More eyes to watch for predators plus increased thermal cover from coveying up.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:53 pm

For me, it depends on the weather/scenting conditions. I'll hunt anytime the scenting conditions are good. Good conditions
(damp/dew, 3 to 10 knots wind, good cover, proximity to food and water sources) The dogs will find birds at any hour if they are present . Early to mid morning usually provides these conditions. I have had little luck in hot, dry and windy (over 15 knots wind) conditions hunting any species.

To answer your question, I have encountered more birds in the morning from first light to mid morning, few in mid day and second most in last hour of light.