Frequency hunting new pup

mboss

Frequency hunting new pup

Post by mboss » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:21 am

I have a 1 year old GSP in his first season. We've gotten out twice since back from training and he's done well both times. My question is on frequency of hunting his first season. I am trying to get him out at every opportunity, but we can't get out every week. It looks to be about two weeks off till his next chance. How often does he need to hunt at this age to keep his training fresh? and additionally, what can I be doing with him at home in the yard when we are not hunting to keep his training and drive going. I have about 1/3 of an acre yard to work with at home.

ruffbritt4

Re: Frequency hunting new pup

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:53 pm

No set time period really, it depends on the dogs breeding, training, and experience. I would take him out at every opportunity possible. In the yard I'd just keep him running and work on obedience.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 am

My 2 cents. You do what you can do with obedience .Pup's nose will put you in birds when you get out. With my first shorthair at total days end when I was sitting on the coach at night I would be throw'n a knotted sock & work'n on retrieve .Let them know your their best bud & keep their mind occupied and you should be good to go .

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Hard to hurt a good bird dog.
Did a pretty good job of training my Setter pup in his first year. He had very good first hunting season. Then I became ill, lost a leg to infection and took two years to be able to walk again. Pup never got out of the yard for the two years. I took him out to the field on opening day of Quail with no conditioning or preparation. Crippled handler, out of shape dog, no birds in two years. Pup found three coveys, pointed 7 singles and had to be stopped and leashed up to keep him from running himself to death...............Now, with just three months of hunting and 6 months of training, he finished 3rd in an all age trial.

I also have a 13 year old Setter 2X FC. Big going dog even at this age. Since I can't keep up I decided to try to shorten his range so I can hunt him in his last years. Thought it wouldn't work, but as soon as he saw how slow I was moving and how long it took me to get to his points, he shortened up on his own.

It would be wonderful if I had that same sense of focus and determination......................

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:17 am

My hat's off to you Rik.... seems like you already have focus and determination!