retrieving issue

joachimt

retrieving issue

Post by joachimt » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a 4 year old GSP that has been force fetched. The last few years she has retrieved everything I have shot perfectly. Even at the beginning of this season she has retrieved all the birds I have shot. However the last 2 times out hunting I have run into an issue. A week ago I shot a bird and when I sent her to fetch she went over by the bird and never picked it up. Just stood by it. I walked over by her and told her to fetch and she did but was not enthusiastic about it. Today I took her and she got up a bird that I shot. It fell into really thick cover. I told her to fetch. I waited and she never came back with the bird but rather continued hunting. I thought she was working a wounded bird but when i went over where I thought it fell it was lying there dead and she was off hunting. Both times I did take a few minutes to toss the bird and told her to fetch which she did no problem. In my yard she fetches everything I throw for her. Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions??? Reasons???

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: retrieving issue

Post by Neil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Go back through the FF process for a refresher, use the cue (ear pinch, e-collar) in the field. It is common for them to need a reminder from time to time.