quail hunt with grandsons

oldbeek

quail hunt with grandsons

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:15 pm

On Christmas day my grandson asked if we could go quail hunting. The only answer to that had to be yes! Quail populations have been terrible with the 4 year drought but we could have a nice camping trip. The weather was from 16 to 37 with some wind. We hunted most of the first morning seeing nothing in spots that would normally have birds. We saw a few tracks but had decided not to shoot any if the dog did find one. Mid afternoon a storm was rolling down the valley and I knew of a covey that I had trained on near town. Those birds usually fly right into a permanent pasture that is posted, but worth a try. The birds gave us a Christmas gift by flying out into low brush and sticking like rocks. My new pup locked on point after point. Several times I would give her fetch command only to look down and see the dog still pointing. The snow storm forced us to retreat to the camp and laid down an inch of new snow. After cleaning birds we watched Monday night football. The next morning we went back to the same covey and were treated to more of the same, with one inch of new snow. Dog was mud, ice and snow up to her midrib, but she was not ready to quite when I called it quits because a howling wind was coming up and I had a fifth wheel to heard back home. It doesn't get better than this.

SetterNut

Re: quail hunt with grandsons

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 am

That is awesome.
I don't have any grandkids yet, but once I do there will be quail hunting involved. :D
Steve