Wyoming Chukar

Gunner2292

Wyoming Chukar

Post by Gunner2292 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Well, this pheasant and grouse season was phenomenal with my almost 2 year old GSP really coming into his own. I want to branch out and try some chukar hunting though. I have always wanted to do it, but it's not exactly a common birds on the plains of South Dakota. I have heard rumor of decent chukar populations in Wyoming and was curious if anyone wanted to give a guy advice for next season as to where to go? Or if anyone knows of chukar hunting any other state near South Dakota. I also have wanted to hunt quail for some time, and I know we have a very small bobwhite population. Any advice?

Thanks, Shae

Wyobio

Re: Wyoming Chukar

Post by Wyobio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Wyoming has some Chukar, but nowhere near the #s you will find in Idaho, Oregon and Washington. There are some around the canyons near Tensleep, and also around Thermopolis. Populations have been good (relatively speaking) for the past few years because of the good moisture timing. But if you really want Chukar, Idaho might be worth the drive.

They are nothing like Pheasant, they live in formidable country that requires lung busting, thigh burning effort that often results in nearly hopeless revenge shots. I have found myself in places with scary cliffs and moonlike lava flows wondering what heck am I doing here, with a big grin on my face. I think they are the most fun birds to hunt, but I am a masochist 8)

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:28 pm

I have heard that, but what is public land access like out there? I would just hate driving 5 hours and hunting blind in Wyoming.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Chukar live in places no one could ever homestead, so most are found on public land. That is true wherever they are found. But they are localized populations and there is a lot of unproductive habitat.

I have not hunted them in WY, you might try contacting the G&F to get some general ideas on where to hunt.....

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 pm

There are no chukars in Oregon, Idaho or Nevada. What many hunters describe as wingbeats in the distance are really rattlesnakes trying to scare off the mountain lions. I would focus completely on Wyoming, Maine, and Florida. The latter two states offer plenty of easy walking on flat ground, too. Alligators are a bonus.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:24 am

Scott, Chukar hunting is self regulating. You hunt them once for fun and from then on for revenge.

Gunner, If your serious about hunting these birds I suggest S. Idaho, N. Nevada or W. Utah and look into GSP X Mt. Goat.