Work

TheIndian

Work

Post by TheIndian » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Hey,
Trying to learn about some bird hunting terms and training for a dog.
Would like to know what the terms "bird work" and "field work" mean and how they are done.
These are exercises that can be done all year, correct?
Thanks.

oldbeek

Re: Work

Post by oldbeek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:59 pm

I am not a pro so I may miss some. YARD WORK, Come, heel and whoa, whoa post, FIELD WORK , running dog on long check cord casting right and left to teach dog to cast back and forth out front, just letting dog get field experience and have a good time. BIRD WORK, Introducing dog to birds, tease dog with a pigeon flapping one wing near dog then release bird. Have dog on check cord and real him in gently. Don't let dog catch bird. Some folks let the dog catch a pigeon that has a cardboard tied to one leg. Then move on to planted birds with dog on check cord. Gun introduction, always in conjunction with flying birds. Then when staunch on point, move on to shooting birds and the retrieve. Later yard work could be Force Fetch. Perfect start and Perfect Finish videos are excellent and explain this all in detail.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am

i would go with the videos perfect start and finish it goes into the details that we cant on this forum as has been said already by oldbeek it will take you thru each steep

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Great...thx.
Should I youtube it?
Really don't know much about it so if you have any recommendations on videos, that would be great too.
Thanks again.
Chris

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:08 pm

PM sent
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks Sharon!
Will check it out!