Where to go?

ncpointers

Where to go?

Post by ncpointers » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:22 pm

I would like to take my son hunting over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We are in NC and there are just no wild birds that I can find. I was thinking of trying to drive to Kansas but would like some input. Are the public lands there worth the drive from this far away since we only have Wednesday thru Sunday? Or can you recommend a better location?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:36 pm

Wish I could help you out, Ted...I'm only familiar with WI and IA. :(

tfbirddog2

where to go?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:34 pm

I live in Nw.Kansas (colby). It should be pretty good out this way for a first in a few years. Most years the best is northcentral (beloit,Concordia,Glenelder Res.) you can also try the Flint Hills Area. Try kdwp.state.ks.us.com an have them send you a Walk-in-Hunting map atlas an a regulations book too. You can private e-mail to exchange numbers or something if you would like. I grew up in KC an have hunted most of the state but Southwest Ks. Out here by me it is mainly pheseants,but the other spots I named you can run into quail, maybe a prarie chicken or too if you are real lucky a woodcock or two. Just let me know I can help.

msparks

Post by msparks » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:39 am

What about Georgia/South Carolina. I think there are some Hunting preserves that are on old plantations. I don't know of any names but I'm sure you could get something off of google.

msparks

Post by msparks » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:42 am

tfbirddog2

Where to go?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:15 pm

I guide at a lodge too, Ted if you wanted to go that route also.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:12 pm

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:45 am

SC public lands suck, there's not much of it and what's there already has a lot of hunters. I can give you a name and # if you wanna go the guided hunt route, my breeder does guided hunts up near the NC-SC border.

Unfortunately, I think you have a drive ahead of you if you want to use public land and not a preserve. :(

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:07 pm

Thanks to all for replying. I think the preserve hunt may be my best bet to start with. May try to go west in the future.

Ted

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:08 pm

Patty,
Don't foreget to tell them there aren't any grouse in Wisconsin.

:wink:

griff