Arizona quail

rkappes

Re: Arizona quail

Post by rkappes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am

deseeker wrote:QUOTE BY CODYM is below:

I think this thread has brought up some real issues that I would like to comment on, but I would like to do so in an adult manner. I'm not trying to insult anyone or any organization. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be anyway disrespectful but these are my opinions and observations.

Have you ever thought that we don't want a national organization like QF in the southwest? After the fiasco with QU many of us learned our lesson. We got sick of fund raising in our states only to have the funds go out of state to projects on private lands that didn't benefit the average outdoors person. Sure we don't have the fancy banquets or magazines but what we do have is full power to decide what and where to use our money on. Our club focuses on water source improvement, youth encouragement and funding for scientific studies on desert quail, not bob white's on plantations in the south. Trust me we have had these organizations before and have no desire to go back. Again not trying to put any of these organization's down as any sportsman's group is better than none, but for me I know where I want to donate my time and money.
Codym--
PF & QF is completely different than Quail Unlimited. The local chapters control where their money goes. Only about 5% of the money they get from fund raiser & banquets go to the national organization. The other 95% of the money is spent on what the local chapters want it spent on. It can all be spent in their county on habitat or water projects if that is what they want. Both QF & PF area great organizations for keeping the money local :D[/quote]

I'm very active in the local PF Chapter here in Western MN and I can proudly say the local money stays local and our chapter can use the monies however we see fit, we have 100% control. Whether its improving public land, purchasing land for public hunting (we've even bought land for public hunting that wasn't great for upland birds but had a lot of deer and turkeys on the land), investing money in the area youth high school trap teams, giving money to other local conservation groups, donating money to charities that are not even related to conservation, investing money in mentor hunts, we are currently helping one of the local gun clubs build a new trap house buy making a monetary donation to the project, etc... Before being involved with PF I did not have a clue how much they really do and how much of the $ stays local.

Since 2009, our little chapter alone, has purchased 2,029 acres for public hunting and we currently have 1,233 acres pending.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm

rkappes wrote:
deseeker wrote:QUOTE BY CODYM is below:

I think this thread has brought up some real issues that I would like to comment on, but I would like to do so in an adult manner. I'm not trying to insult anyone or any organization. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be anyway disrespectful but these are my opinions and observations.

Have you ever thought that we don't want a national organization like QF in the southwest? After the fiasco with QU many of us learned our lesson. We got sick of fund raising in our states only to have the funds go out of state to projects on private lands that didn't benefit the average outdoors person. Sure we don't have the fancy banquets or magazines but what we do have is full power to decide what and where to use our money on. Our club focuses on water source improvement, youth encouragement and funding for scientific studies on desert quail, not bob white's on plantations in the south. Trust me we have had these organizations before and have no desire to go back. Again not trying to put any of these organization's down as any sportsman's group is better than none, but for me I know where I want to donate my time and money.
Codym--
PF & QF is completely different than Quail Unlimited. The local chapters control where their money goes. Only about 5% of the money they get from fund raiser & banquets go to the national organization. The other 95% of the money is spent on what the local chapters want it spent on. It can all be spent in their county on habitat or water projects if that is what they want. Both QF & PF area great organizations for keeping the money local :D

I'm very active in the local PF Chapter here in Western MN and I can proudly say the local money stays local and our chapter can use the monies however we see fit, we have 100% control. Whether its improving public land, purchasing land for public hunting (we've even bought land for public hunting that wasn't great for upland birds but had a lot of deer and turkeys on the land), investing money in the area youth high school trap teams, giving money to other local conservation groups, donating money to charities that are not even related to conservation, investing money in mentor hunts, we are currently helping one of the local gun clubs build a new trap house buy making a monetary donation to the project, etc... Before being involved with PF I did not have a clue how much they really do and how much of the $ stays local.

Since 2009, our little chapter alone, has purchased 2,029 acres for public hunting and we currently have 1,233 acres pending.[/quote]

But my understanding is if you send in your money for a membership, you have to do it through the local chapter or write on the application which chapter you want to represent you or the money will go to the national organization.
Take Care
Pete

reba

Post by reba » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm

The whole point is Scott Linden is getting his 30 pieces of silver to announce to the world where your honey holes are.

If you want to take a friend hunting or tell him where you like to hunt, THAT is a different subject...........................................

Works the same way with fly fishing. They also have their Judas's.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I have never thought of hunting and fishing as a game of hide and seek but rather a sport where we can make friends an enjoy working and playing with the greatest group of friends a person can have. Maybe I am wrong!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:42 am

"May 20, 2017 I have done quail reports now for about 20 years and have met some neat people -- both online and in person. I do this purely as a labor of love for the Arizona outdoors and the birds we love to hunt. I NEVER talk about where to hunt and paint my reports with very wide brush strokes -- by design. Specific canyons, ridges, water sources, and especially towns are not mentioned.
And then comes along an article in the Summer Edition of QF Journal by Scott Linden,
"The Tonto National Forest near Globe will put you into Gambel's quail. . . ." in a national publication. Maybe I need to re-evaluate why I'm posting all this and what the consequences might be. The Tonto is a large area, but maybe not in today's world of e-scouters and outdoor writers meeting deadlines."

I hardly think hunters will over populate the largest NF in AZ and the 4 largest in the US due to a report in a national magazine. It's an area of nearly 2.9 million acres. And Scott it is no great secret that there are Gambel's quail on the Tonto. That is pretty common knowledge. :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 am

I would say that there is an element of truth to that idea of camaraderie…..certainly a good wish for fellow hunters.
Often tho, notice of “good spots” becomes most a problem only when it may impact one of those fellow hunter’s opportunities….which is a shame.

Internet shouts of “COME HERE…LOTS OF BIRDS!” or some degree of that suggestion does happen…whether it happens out of misjudgment or a concern for a billfold/reputation or just wishing to see fellow gun-toters happy, one must consider the downside.
My concern is never with some individual hunter forced to share a spot or poke thru the dregs of a covert but rather with what an Internet shout can do to bird populations….that is the downside that is important to me.

Some birds and many areas can certainly withstand an increase of hunters…and some can not, as history and an open eye can prove.
Generalizing that there is …no harm from “Come here” or “Go there”…ignores a clear downside that involves birds not blessed with an ability to absorb yet another hammer to the noggin.
Best to not generalize just to see fellow hunters have a good place to go.
“Hunters” are not the important part of the equation.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:44 pm

"I have never thought of hunting and fishing as a game of hide and seek but rather a sport where we can make friends an enjoy working and playing with the greatest group of friends a person can have. Maybe I am wrong!"

Izzy, you are not wrong.

I am now in Wyoming hunting sage grouse. The folks camped next to me were from New Mexico and had a flushing dog. I asked them if they wanted to go hunt sage grouse with me. He got a three day tag and off we went to one of my honey holes. We parked and I told him where to take his dog and I would wait and come and pick them up. Sure enough within 100 yards of where I said there were birds his dog got them up. However he didn't believe his dog and was not ready at the flush.

I picked them up and went to the next hot spot, this time I put my two GSP's on the ground. Although he had hunted lots of quail in New Mexico he had never hunted behind pointing dogs. He was truly amassed to see my dogs work, find and hold point. We had three birds on the ground in less than 10 minutes. It was very enjoyable for me. We went to lunch and recalled the hunt. I have made friends for life even if we never cross tracks again.

I could have explained why the area we hunted held so many birds, but it may have been a little over load on info. I have hunted for years with some great guys and they have no idea why they find birds where they do. When they don't find birds at the same old spot they have no idea the habitat has changed and if they only travel a few miles to a higher elevation and more moisture there are lots of birds.

There is so much knowledge that can be written about all game birds and their habitat that would fill volumes and benefit real hunters.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 am

While I like Senior Linden's show I despise the hotspottiing mentality.
Ezzy you r wrong in my case. I do not hunt to socialize. I hunt to enjoy nature & hopefully watch my self trained hounds (hooligans) wrangle in wild birds. One thing that can lessen the experience for me personally is to have someone tag along. Don't get me wrong I do hunt with certain like mind individuals but 95% of the time we head off in opposite directions while socializing in the truck to & fro.Too each their own.

In my humble opinion Scotts show doesn't need to divulge hunting locations to be successful

Now, with that off my chest where is this Ruggs Ranch?