Arizona quail

Scott Linden

Arizona quail

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi everyone, I've been assigned a magazine story on late-season quail in Arizona, New Mexico, and other places "snowbirds" might want to visit with their dogs and shotguns. I'm not asking for latitude and longitude but welcome suggestions for your fellow hunters (and readers of Quail Forever magazine). General areas, nearby towns, etc. would be helpful. I will be visiting one or two later this season and promise not to spill the beans on the hotspots. Also could use referrals to pro guides in either state. Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Grommet

Arizona quail

Post by Grommet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 am

Some friends and I are going to hunt Arizona the first week of January. It is going to be an unguided first time adventure with some interesting fellows. Could make for a good story if you want to join us. PM me for details.

MGIII

Arizona quail

Post by MGIII » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 am

PM sent.

-Valley of the Sun Quail Forever

reba

Re: Arizona quail

Post by reba » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Scott,

I really hate guys like you that want to write about where to hunt.

If you want to write about what type of quail are in AZ and their habitat that's OK.

Other than that buzz off.

To the fools that tell him anything you can buzz off also!

MGIII

Arizona quail

Post by MGIII » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Nevermind
Last edited by MGIII on Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 pm

reba wrote:Scott,

I really hate guys like you that want to write about where to hunt.

If you want to write about what type of quail are in AZ and their habitat that's OK.

Other than that buzz off.

To the fools that tell him anything you can buzz off also!
Congratulations reba. You've not only insulted everyone on this forum, you've demonstrated how to kill our sport for the next generation. If you'd had that attitude when you were a young hunter, you'd still be looking for your first covert ... and are still probably looking for your first friend. If you've ever read my work, or seen my show, you would know that's not how I operate anyway. And now, we all know how YOU operate.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 am

Scott,

Let's see now, you make a living giving up the hot spots of where to hunt or fish and I insulted everyone?

I was exposing folks to what you really are.

I stand firmly on what I said in my first post.

Buzz off!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 am

Let's see now, you make a living giving up the hot spots of where to hunt or fish and I insulted everyone?

Buzz off!
Reba, If shooting a bird for your freezer is more important and more fun than hunting with friends and making memories of a lifetime, then you are right.

Not sure if or where you got your exposure certificate, but if you have one and have done your interviews with the patient, then you are right.

And if you are sure you are standing firmly on your previous words, then you are right.

But if there are many of us that find enjoyment in making friends, introducing new people and youngster to the magnificense of nature and want to share it with others as well as have them share with us, and if we just aren't positive our previous words are the end all of knowledge and free thinking, then you are wrong.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Buzz off!
1. Nope, I don't spill. Yep. YOu told everyone who believes in the future of hunting and conservation to shove it.
2. Nope. I've never met you, so you can't possibly know what an A**hole I really am. You don't want to know because it will be very painful.
3. Your perogative, this is America. It is the reason someone said "better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your big fat mouth and confirm it."
4. Same back at ya.

You just might be the reason there should be breathalyzers on computer keyboards.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Scott,

I think your little white mustache is cute.

Reba

codym

Post by codym » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:10 pm

No offense to anyone but how does Reba being honest and saying what most western hunters on public land feel when people put their areas on blast have anything to do with not introducing the next generation to the sport? I wouldn't give out any of my spots either and I cringe when people post stuff like this on a public forum. I personally am a member of a conservation group that improves habitat for wild animals (specifically upland game birds) on public land. We host youth encouragement hunts and probably introduce anywhere from 50 to 100 youth to upland bird hunting behind pointing dogs each year. I don't think it's fair to blast someone for saying what alot of people are thinking.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:22 pm

codym wrote:No offense to anyone but how does Reba being honest and saying what most western hunters on public land feel when people put their areas on blast have anything to do with not introducing the next generation to the sport? I wouldn't give out any of my spots either and I cringe when people post stuff like this on a public forum. I personally am a member of a conservation group that improves habitat for wild animals (specifically upland game birds) on public land. We host youth encouragement hunts and probably introduce anywhere from 50 to 100 youth to upland bird hunting behind pointing dogs each year. I don't think it's fair to blast someone for saying what alot of people are thinking.
Speak for yourself.

Also you used "put on blast" incorrectly.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

codym

Post by codym » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
codym wrote:No offense to anyone but how does Reba being honest and saying what most western hunters on public land feel when people put their areas on blast have anything to do with not introducing the next generation to the sport? I wouldn't give out any of my spots either and I cringe when people post stuff like this on a public forum. I personally am a member of a conservation group that improves habitat for wild animals (specifically upland game birds) on public land. We host youth encouragement hunts and probably introduce anywhere from 50 to 100 youth to upland bird hunting behind pointing dogs each year. I don't think it's fair to blast someone for saying what alot of people are thinking.
Speak for yourself.

So be it.

Also you used "put on blast" incorrectly.
And how so?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Cody, "put on blast" means to ridicule something or someone, or call someone out on something. But I don't think that's what you meant regarding hunting spots. It seems you meant they are being made public.

Anyway, no need to turn this into a slang vocabulary lesson, back to the topic.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

chwagn11

Post by chwagn11 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Simply research some weather and you will find quail in the desert. A hot spot last year could be a horrible spot this year. Eastern NM is loaded with blues when it rains, some years a limit by noon is easily done. When it does not rain like this summer, could likely be nonexistent. Gambels are on drainage's throughout the desert floor, and Mearns are in the oak in the higher elevations. We go unguided every year and never been skunked. We put in 20 miles of walking a day and have always found birds even in the worst of the drought years. Don't overestimate New Mexico Mearns potential they can be quite scarce even on good monsoon years. Does quail forever put any resources into New Mexico? So would it be irresponsible to send a bunch of people to a state or states if it receives very little benefit from the organization?

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm

^^^What he said!

Hows it going Cody? Hope to see you this winter. Hope all is going well.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Hey Corry, all is well my friend. Looking forward to seeing you all again this winter!

codym

Post by codym » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:12 pm

chwagn11 wrote: Does quail forever put any resources into New Mexico? So would it be irresponsible to send a bunch of people to a state or states if it receives very little benefit from the organization?

I'm not sure if they have a presence in far eastern NM, but I can promise you that do nothing in the rest of the state. They don't even have chapters here. We have an organization that fundraises and puts all of our money back into the habitat on public land in NM. Please feel free to check it out and donate, especially if you hunt quail on public land in NM. https://www.facebook.com/nmquailinc/

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 pm

I think your little white mustache is cute.

Reba
So is yours.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:14 pm

chwagn11 wrote:Simply research some weather and you will find quail in the desert. A hot spot last year could be a horrible spot this year. Eastern NM is loaded with blues when it rains, some years a limit by noon is easily done. When it does not rain like this summer, could likely be nonexistent. Gambels are on drainage's throughout the desert floor, and Mearns are in the oak in the higher elevations. We go unguided every year and never been skunked. We put in 20 miles of walking a day and have always found birds even in the worst of the drought years. Don't overestimate New Mexico Mearns potential they can be quite scarce even on good monsoon years. Does quail forever put any resources into New Mexico? So would it be irresponsible to send a bunch of people to a state or states if it receives very little benefit from the organization?
Thanks, am researching all of the weather and habitat among other things, to do a comprehensive job on the story. I will be doing and have done some unguided hunts too, and cover everything from Southern California to Texas if things pan out. I don't find any QF chapters there yet - maybe if more people hear about the hunting there, they might start a chapter. There are other groups making strong effort there, that might be good candidates for starting a chapter as well. I don't see what the presence or absence of a QF chapter has to do with a story that might put a couple QF members from somewhere else on the ground there - do you?

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:17 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Buzz off!
Reba, If shooting a bird for your freezer is more important and more fun than hunting with friends and making memories of a lifetime, then you are right.

Not sure if or where you got your exposure certificate, but if you have one and have done your interviews with the patient, then you are right.

And if you are sure you are standing firmly on your previous words, then you are right.

But if there are many of us that find enjoyment in making friends, introducing new people and youngster to the magnificense of nature and want to share it with others as well as have them share with us, and if we just aren't positive our previous words are the end all of knowledge and free thinking, then you are wrong.
Gezzz, another pi$$in match. Many of these small towns depend on the revenue from snow bird hunters. Game and Fish tell us heavy hunting is not a threat to the quail population but rather weather conditions.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 am

[quote="Scott Linden". I don't find any QF chapters there yet - maybe if more people hear about the hunting there, they might start a chapter. There are other groups making strong effort there, that might be good candidates for starting a chapter as well. I don't see what the presence or absence of a QF chapter has to do with a story that might put a couple QF members from somewhere else on the ground there - do you?[/quote]

I think this thread has brought up some real issues that I would like to comment on, but I would like to do so in an adult manner. I'm not trying to insult anyone or any organization. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be anyway disrespectful but these are my opinions and observations.

Have you ever thought that we don't want a national organization like QF in the southwest? After the fiasco with QU many of us learned our lesson. We got sick of fund raising in our states only to have the funds go out of state to projects on private lands that didn't benefit the average outdoors person. Sure we don't have the fancy banquets or magazines but what we do have is full power to decide what and where to use our money on. Our club focuses on water source improvement, youth encouragement and funding for scientific studies on desert quail, not bob white's on plantations in the south. Trust me we have had these organizations before and have no desire to go back. Again not trying to put any of these organization's down as any sportsman's group is better than none, but for me I know where I want to donate my time and money.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Buzz off!

Gezzz, another pi$$in match. Many of these small towns depend on the revenue from snow bird hunters. Game and Fish tell us heavy hunting is not a threat to the quail population but rather weather conditions.

Az Brit I respectfully disagree about the revenue thing. There are very few towns in the southwest that rely on small game hunting for a reliable source of revenue. I agree there are a couple, Sonoita comes to mind, but very few. Most small towns in Texas and New Mexico are dependent on oil field revenue for income and have no concern for small game hunting. There are some small communities that do depend on revenue from hunting and fishing but that is 100% due to big game and fish stocking efforts by departments of game and fish. Ranchers always know they gonna have "X" number of big game tags to sell every year, Game and fish knows they are gonna draw "X" number of non-resident tags each year and so fourth. That is a very dependable predictable income. This is not the case with small game especially desert quail that are boom or bust. Another consideration is the type of hunter that is looking to do these hunts. Often times they are DIY hunts on public land with a budget minded hunter. They are looking to do the hunt while spending the smallest amount of money possible. My point being for most areas any extra money from bird hunters is negligible.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:32 am

Ok...I was referring to AZ and every community depends on more than one business to servive.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:30 pm

QUOTE BY CODYM is below:

I think this thread has brought up some real issues that I would like to comment on, but I would like to do so in an adult manner. I'm not trying to insult anyone or any organization. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be anyway disrespectful but these are my opinions and observations.

Have you ever thought that we don't want a national organization like QF in the southwest? After the fiasco with QU many of us learned our lesson. We got sick of fund raising in our states only to have the funds go out of state to projects on private lands that didn't benefit the average outdoors person. Sure we don't have the fancy banquets or magazines but what we do have is full power to decide what and where to use our money on. Our club focuses on water source improvement, youth encouragement and funding for scientific studies on desert quail, not bob white's on plantations in the south. Trust me we have had these organizations before and have no desire to go back. Again not trying to put any of these organization's down as any sportsman's group is better than none, but for me I know where I want to donate my time and money.[/quote]

Codym--
PF & QF is completely different than Quail Unlimited. The local chapters control where their money goes. Only about 5% of the money they get from fund raiser & banquets go to the national organization. The other 95% of the money is spent on what the local chapters want it spent on. It can all be spent in their county on habitat or water projects if that is what they want. Both QF & PF area great organizations for keeping the money local :D

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 pm

I've watch some of Scott's shows on TV and unless it went over my head, have never seen him "hot spot' (unless it was a preserve in which you'd have to consider it advertising).

Mr. Linden seems to be a good ambassador of our sport. Scott, if you're reading this, show us that you really are a good guy by checking out this post and tell me how to break my dog off them stinkin' bunnies!
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=51388

codym

Post by codym » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Deseeker- thanks for your reply and this is good to hear. I know there are very good people in both those organizations. In fact I donated a hunt to a PF chapter in Montana and they reciprocated a trip for our banquet. I will say that although these are different organizations there was a lot of damage done by QU and it will be very hard for many people to get over that. I applaud the chapters that keep their money local and especially those that invest in habitat improvement and expansion on public lands as this is what ensures hunting for future generations.

chwagn11

Post by chwagn11 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Scott Linden wrote:
chwagn11 wrote:Simply research some weather and you will find quail in the desert. A hot spot last year could be a horrible spot this year. Eastern NM is loaded with blues when it rains, some years a limit by noon is easily done. When it does not rain like this summer, could likely be nonexistent. Gambels are on drainage's throughout the desert floor, and Mearns are in the oak in the higher elevations. We go unguided every year and never been skunked. We put in 20 miles of walking a day and have always found birds even in the worst of the drought years. Don't overestimate New Mexico Mearns potential they can be quite scarce even on good monsoon years. Does quail forever put any resources into New Mexico? So would it be irresponsible to send a bunch of people to a state or states if it receives very little benefit from the organization?
Thanks, am researching all of the weather and habitat among other things, to do a comprehensive job on the story. I will be doing and have done some unguided hunts too, and cover everything from Southern California to Texas if things pan out. I don't find any QF chapters there yet - maybe if more people hear about the hunting there, they might start a chapter. There are other groups making strong effort there, that might be good candidates for starting a chapter as well. I don't see what the presence or absence of a QF chapter has to do with a story that might put a couple QF members from somewhere else on the ground there - do you?
No I do not see a problem with people going out on our public lands because they read an article. I think the more people using the lands is a benefit to the sport of hunting. As of now the land is not managed in some places all that well for upland birds. I notice this when I travel to NM or AZ every year and see the land abuse on our BLM of overgrazing. If we had more people using them for recreation we could make more of an effort to have the land managed more effectively for grazing and quail. My question was simply a question. I think QF and PF is a noble effort of many. I disagree with much of the way some local chapters use the money. For example the local chapter where I am use the money to put on youth fishing events twice a year. I think this has very little value to quail and pheasant conservation. When 50 miles away is the national grasslands that has a guzzler network of at least 20 i know in some state of disrepair. 100 miles away in eastern Colorado they have even more guzzlers in the national grasslands in disrepair or not usable by the two species of quail. I would like to see the value of donations go to conservation. I have never seen a project in southwest Kansas or eastern Colorado using donations to actually create value to the upland birds. That does not mean there are not any, but i do believe QU did not help my opinion. I also think the southwest is not on the radar for conservation by many of the organizations. This is simply my opinion. So hopefully your article will highlight some of the conservation problems for quail in the southwest such as overgrazing, and potential ways QF is looking in to partnering with locals to combat those issues.

blanked

Post by blanked » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 am

IMO asking for nearby towns on the Internet is hot spotting. Personally I don't even like mentioning the state on the Internet. I have a remote town I hunt out of in September. Very limited camping in this town. Up until 2 years ago me and 2 other groups of hunters used this camping spot One of those guys told one of his buddies about the place and he showed him around how and where to hunt along with the camping spot. After he left the new guy stayed. For the next few days the new guy would be on his cell phone calling his buddies telling them about the place while cleaning birds. Last year I showed up at the camp spot and barely got in the last spot. New guy and numerous groups of his friends had the place filled out. Not to mention the hunting pressure

When the other hunter that showed new guy all around found out about this he hit the roof.

Now imagine the power of the Internet spreading the name of a town

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:22 am

blanked wrote:IMO asking for nearby towns on the Internet is hot spotting. Personally I don't even like mentioning the state on the Internet. I have a remote town I hunt out of in September. Very limited camping in this town. Up until 2 years ago me and 2 other groups of hunters used this camping spot One of those guys told one of his buddies about the place and he showed him around how and where to hunt along with the camping spot. After he left the new guy stayed. For the next few days the new guy would be on his cell phone calling his buddies telling them about the place while cleaning birds. Last year I showed up at the camp spot and barely got in the last spot. New guy and numerous groups of his friends had the place filled out. Not to mention the hunting pressure

When the other hunter that showed new guy all around found out about this he hit the roof.

Maybe you just have poor acquaintances? :mrgreen:

Through scouting and lots of walking I've found some "hot spots." All are public land or private land open to hunting. I have no delusions that those spots are mine, and if I pull to find a truck, I either go to another spot (I have lots of back-ups), or wait and hunt with the knowledge that my dogs are better than Joe Schmoe's couch potato dog that gets out twice a year... Or I'm certain I will walk where others don't have the motivation or fortitude to walk.

All this business is kind of ridiculous. I'm scouting (online) for places to chase pheasants over Thanksgiving in a place I've never been. With all the satellite maps available and public land listings, it's not hard to find likely coverts and I'm sure I'll be intruding on someone's "spot," but the likelihood that I care (if I'm there first) is zero.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:50 am

blanked wrote:----- Personally I don't even like mentioning the state One of those guys told one of his buddies about the place and he showed him around how and where to hunt along with the camping spot. After he left the new guy stayed. For the next few days the new guy would be on his cell phone calling his buddies telling them about the place while cleaning birds. Last year I showed up at the camp spot and barely got in the last spot. New guy and numerous groups of his friends had the place filled out. Not to mention the hunting pressure

Sounds like "UJ" --- "Roy" --- "Montana"

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:13 pm

[/quote]Have you ever thought that we don't want a national organization like QF in the southwest? After the fiasco with QU many of us learned our lesson. We got sick of fund raising in our states only to have the funds go out of state to projects on private lands that didn't benefit the average outdoors person. Sure we don't have the fancy banquets or magazines but what we do have is full power to decide what and where to use our money on. Our club focuses on water source improvement, youth encouragement and funding for scientific studies on desert quail, not bob white's on plantations in the south. Trust me we have had these organizations before and have no desire to go back. Again not trying to put any of these organization's down as any sportsman's group is better than none, but for me I know where I want to donate my time and money.[/quote]

Sure, I've thought that. It is certainly one way to go. But be careful about painting every group with the QU brush. You said you'd had problems with "these organizations" which I presume means QU but not sure what others have done wrong by you. As long as you send dough and energy and time, go for it.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:I've watch some of Scott's shows on TV and unless it went over my head, have never seen him "hot spot' (unless it was a preserve in which you'd have to consider it advertising).

Mr. Linden seems to be a good ambassador of our sport. Scott, if you're reading this, show us that you really are a good guy by checking out this post and tell me how to break my dog off them stinkin' bunnies!
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=51388
Thanks. Yep, I heartily encourage as many as possible to visit the preserves on my show - maybe they'll invite me back. But nowhere else.

When I figure out how to break Manny of bunny love, I'll let you know.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:21 pm

blanked wrote:IMO asking for nearby towns on the Internet is hot spotting. Personally I don't even like mentioning the state on the Internet. I have a remote town I hunt out of in September. Very limited camping in this town. Up until 2 years ago me and 2 other groups of hunters used this camping spot One of those guys told one of his buddies about the place and he showed him around how and where to hunt along with the camping spot. After he left the new guy stayed. For the next few days the new guy would be on his cell phone calling his buddies telling them about the place while cleaning birds. Last year I showed up at the camp spot and barely got in the last spot. New guy and numerous groups of his friends had the place filled out. Not to mention the hunting pressure

I feel your pain but this is an orange, and I'm talking apples. "One of those guys" should be the recipient of your wrath. He and his friends clearly don't have the ethics you do. This could have been fixed with a gentleman's agreement (as I'm sure many of us do) where "the spot" is kept off the radar, period. Mobile phone, internet, smoke signals, any form of communication can be abused if the wrong person has a fully charged battery or a big "bleep" mouth.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 pm

To all my friends on this forum - thanks. I've tried to thank you all personally but wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your private messages, emails and suggestions. To the others, watch for the article and judge for yourself whether or not I've spilled the beans. You might consider taking a newcomer or a kid hunting in one of your highly classified spots once you've sworn them to stick-a-needle-in-my-eye secrecy.

PS: This entire discussion has inspired another story. I'll keep you posted, and if any of you anonymous commenters want to chime in for the record, just PM me ... if you're brave enough.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:41 am

I think well written articles on this topic can only help a declining sport. It brings attention to sporting dogs, conservation and most of all, attracting our younger generation to the great outdoors.

Bigdon

Post by Bigdon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:48 pm

I hunt Gambels 40 to 50 days per season with my pointer. Be glad to help with the article. Give me an email address and i will forward contact info.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:33 am

To all my friends on this forum - thanks for the private e-mails and messages thanking me for calling Scott out on this subject.

BTW when I made my first comment I had no idea who Scott Linden was. Now I really know who he is. A very important guy. He's on TV!

Reba

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 am

I guess I'm lost on this one. Scott Linden is a TV guy and most of his shows feature preserve hunting. Not every bodies cup of tea but never the less, I've never seen him HotSpot wild bird country.

Would I blindly invite him to my honey holes? heck no. That goes for about 98% of you peeps

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am

Moonshine Ike wrote:I guess I'm lost on this one. Scott Linden is a TV guy and most of his shows feature preserve hunting. Not every bodies cup of tea but never the less, I've never seen him HotSpot wild bird country.

Would I blindly invite him to my honey holes? heck no. That goes for about 98% of you peeps
This is alot about nothing! I think it would be great to continue on the topic.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:55 pm

You mean people who own magazines want to publish articles that people might actually like to read? Like suggesting new
places to hunt? Maybe even on public land? And other people demean their family name by accepting payment for such
"work" as writing those articles? Have we really reached such a shamefully mercenary state?

:roll:

Scott, if I have any criticism of the show it's that you spend too much time on expensive commercial preserves, and not enough
time showing the average hunter how to scout and hunt wild birds. So bravo for the project. I bet if you publish the name of the
town your hotel is in the birds may even survive for at least a season or two after you publish......... :mrgreen:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:39 pm

I don't even know if the preserve hunts bother me... I mean I get it, to make a show about bird hunting there probably should be birds, and there's no better guarantee.

But, Scott, I would like to see more variety of species. More sharpies, maybe some Huns, etc.

Also, I know you did an episode on ruffed grouse near my neck of the woods (pun intended), but I haven't had a chance to see it. You see my wife and I decided to go without cable or satellite in the past couple years in favor of Netflix, so how would one go about finding that episode? I'm interested to see the camera work in the grouse tangles.

codym

Post by codym » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Scott Linden wrote:
Sure, I've thought that. It is certainly one way to go. But be careful about painting every group with the QU brush. You said you'd had problems with "these organizations" which I presume means QU but not sure what others have done wrong by you. As long as you send dough and energy and time, go for it.[/quote]

There were issues with Duck Unlimited and some of the banquets that "were held". Those organizations didn't do wrong by me they did wrong by all of us that donated our time and money. Again, as I stated earlier, there are plenty of good people working hard on a noble cause in organizations like PF and QF. We have decided where I live that we do not need a national organization and that youth, wildlife and the average hunter on public land has benefitted from that.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Makintrax73 wrote:You mean people who own magazines want to publish articles that people might actually like to read? Like suggesting new
places to hunt? Maybe even on public land? And other people demean their family name by accepting payment for such
"work" as writing those articles? Have we really reached such a shamefully mercenary state?

:roll:

Scott, if I have any criticism of the show it's that you spend too much time on expensive commercial preserves, and not enough
time showing the average hunter how to scout and hunt wild birds. So bravo for the project. I bet if you publish the name of the
town your hotel is in the birds may even survive for at least a season or two after you publish......... :mrgreen:
Hah! Yep, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it. I appreciate your comments.

Here's the skinny on why we hunt preserves (by the way, we are moving away from planted birds to a great degree, instead targeting places with wild birds). We won't hunt public ground on the show because every time we've tried (and before this series, on my fly fishing show as well) the feds have made it virtually impossible. I would go so far as to say any public ground hunting or fishing shows you see are likely breaking at least a couple laws - they haven't gotten the permit, paid the fee, provided the shooting plan and maps, etc. It is a major and sometimes, expensive, inconvenience. There are national forests, for example that want me to pay the same fee Spielberg would to produce a scene for his next film.

Years past, on average, we balance preserve and wild birds about 50-50. And you are right - you gotta have birds in a bird hunting show. But even this season's shows are mostly wild birds, albeit on a lodge's property. As I said, next year even more. And while we get to hunt some luxe places, preserve hunting doesn't have to be spendy - and if you add your time/travel, etc., it often pencils out. That's one of my objectives: more people, hunting more often, and bringing their friends.

Finally, I do listen. Private or public ground, wild or less-wild, we are doing more on the show to help with strategy and tactics, including drone shots to give you the "big picture." Keep the suggestions coming.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:32 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I don't even know if the preserve hunts bother me... I mean I get it, to make a show about bird hunting there probably should be birds, and there's no better guarantee.

But, Scott, I would like to see more variety of species. More sharpies, maybe some Huns, etc.

Also, I know you did an episode on ruffed grouse near my neck of the woods (pun intended), but I haven't had a chance to see it. You see my wife and I decided to go without cable or satellite in the past couple years in favor of Netflix, so how would one go about finding that episode? I'm interested to see the camera work in the grouse tangles.
We are ON IT. Scouted sharptail hunts for next year, already. Over the past three years, if you'd have cable you would have seen sharptails, Huns, bobwhites, valley quail, chukars, ringnecks, woodcock and ruffie, sage grouse and prairie chickens. I even shot a mallard on one episode. Go to youtube.com/scottlindenoutdoors and get caught up.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:13 pm

I watch the show on youtube (no cable) and just recently saw the new drone shots. Really awesome!!!!

I have hunted wild birds without so much as a flush many times. Wouldnt make much of a TV show, so I get why the preserve hunts happen. Just pointing out that the demand is there for wild bird shows and articles. That demand WILL result in someone writing about it or showing it. That press coverage WILL result in more hunting pressure. Its just life.

In IL <2,000 wild upland birds were killed on public land in 2015 per IL DNR (I had to do a bunch of math to get there, but the numbers are on their website). I hope those blessed with hundreds of thousands of acres filled with birds can step back and see why some of us have a desire to see someplace new to go to hunt wild birds.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:51 pm

i doubt if it will affect a hunting area. Even if given a county within a state, most people cant find their bedroom from the couch.
As much as i would like to go and hunt quail in arizona i would call the fish and game department before i would rely on one TV show.
Take Care
Pete

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:07 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:i doubt if it will affect a hunting area. Even if given a county within a state, most people cant find their bedroom from the couch.
As much as i would like to go and hunt quail in arizona i would call the fish and game department before i would rely on one TV show.
Especially my TV show.

Farmboy

Post by Farmboy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:02 pm

I love watching Scott's show, I look forward to it every Thursday night. I can't recall ever hearing him give out specific information on a hunting spot, other that an address for an advertiser.

I would consider him one of the few true promoters of our sport. I, for one, consider his show and writings of great value for current and future generations of upland bird hunters. Keep up the good work Scott.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:44 pm

I recall when Northern NH was slammed from a "go there" notice...it happens.
Folks troll for info...always have and always will, regardless of the lure chosen....the Internet simply makes it easy.

Much depends tho upon the bird involved and the cover....at times, hunter additivity is the last straw.
At other times of abundance and extent of the resource and habitat, the additivity is easily absorbable.
A well-known writer essentially GPS'd Canaan Valley coverts a while back....there, the area is so small one wondered why.
After further thought, I suspect that trying to keep a hunting presence on a NWR was the real reason...and, a good one.
That need happens as well.

Trust is at the core of this issue.
Hunter recruitment....a feel good, sound good non-starter.
Bringing new folks into bird hunting will not arrive from TV shows.....that works for deer hunting but the two activities are worlds apart in all ways.
Hunter recruitment is important but an uphill slog these days where more is involved on the negative side than the public notice of ...a good place to go. The decline of the NFs, for example or the rise of Jimmy not being able to squirrel hunt down the road from his house.
What is odd tho is that, as with most bird hunting, finding spots to go means following the cover and the reproduction....weather dependent both.
Can't quite see why experienced folks need help.
Trust....is at the core of this issue.