Prairie chicken tips?

Jonjhawk

Prairie chicken tips?

Post by Jonjhawk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:31 am

Well the prairie chicken opens up tomorrow in eastern Kansas and I plan on going out with my dog this weekend. I've never been and was wonder if anyone could give me any tips, what to wear when to go, where to go, what time to go, and anything else imaginable. If anyone has any good counties for wiha near Kansas City that would be great too.

BMURPH

Re: Prairie chicken tips?

Post by BMURPH » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Wear light pants and boots, good walking pair because that is what you will be doing most of all. Light cover about calf level or shorter is where you need to be. Sight is their line of defense so they do not like high, thick cover. Look for snow berries and other plants that they eat. I have never hunted in Kansas for them but heading to SD in the morning for their opener!

Big Dave

Re: Prairie chicken tips?

Post by Big Dave » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:10 pm

I carried lots of water for me and the dog. The cover was pretty light where we found them and we walked a lot and while many flushed out of range we found them pretty easy to kill when we connected. They don't make much sound when they flush, unlike the quail and pheasant I am used to. Everyone told me once they flushed to be ready for a sleeper and I did see that on several occasions last week. I was in Nebraska and really enjoyed the new challenge, they are a neat bird to hunt with dogs.