Possessive/aggressive while hunting?

Thiner

Post by Thiner » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:18 pm

I have a almost 2yr old lab/drathaar that is getting aggressive with other dogs while hunting or working on retrieving in a group. She has nipped at other dogs if they try to play with her while we're hunting or just working on retrieving with birds and they try to get close to her while she has the bird. She won't go after them but will nip if they get to close to her. What gets me is we can quit training and go to the pond for the dogs to cool off and she'll be just fine running and playing with the same dog she just tried to nip 10 min ago. Any ideas as to why she's doing this and how to fix it?

mnaj_springer

Re: Possessive/aggressive while hunting?

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Are your training partners' dogs loose while working on retrieving? That sounds like a bad situation. Maybe you could describe the scenarios a little more.

It sounds like your dog is all business. And dogs tend to put pups in their place. heck, even my little springer will put an annoying pup in its place, and she's generally a very submissive dog.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:56 am

I can tell you this; I no longer hunt with a guy that has an aggressive dog.

Sooner or later it might get really ugly:-(=

BTW using an e collar to correct this aggression might make it even worst.

Wish I knew how to help.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 am

I would not necessarily call that aggression, if she is just trying to do her job. My pups quickly learn not to mess with mom when she is retrieving and it seems to last for life. If you are using a E collar use it on the dog that is bugging her. If she gets really aggressive that is another issue.......................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:05 am

Never use an e-collar on any dog when they are involved with another dog. You are asking for serious trouble if you do. I have seen it happen too many times.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:Never use an e-collar on any dog when they are involved with another dog. You are asking for serious trouble if you do. I have seen it happen too many times.
I've never seen this situation but I have read and was told my several trainers that the ecollar will intensify this type of situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:49 am

Thiner wrote:I have a almost 2yr old lab/drathaar that is getting aggressive with other dogs while hunting or working on retrieving in a group. She has nipped at other dogs if they try to play with her while we're hunting or just working on retrieving with birds and they try to get close to her while she has the bird. She won't go after them but will nip if they get to close to her. What gets me is we can quit training and go to the pond for the dogs to cool off and she'll be just fine running and playing with the same dog she just tried to nip 10 min ago. Any ideas as to why she's doing this and how to fix it?
Reading from your post I would say your training/hunting partners have issues with obedience.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 am

This does not sound like aggression. My Golden will snarl at any dog that approaches her when she is retrieving bumpers or a bird. In training, we never allow any dogs in the training area that are not on lead! Period, no exceptions! Same rules apply at AKC hunt tests and trials!

If another dog approaches during a hunting retrieve, that is normal, and your dog, like mine will warn them to stay away. Perfectly natural, I doubt the dog would actually drop the game and attack one of these dogs! Especially, if the dog has been Force Fetched, the main deal their is that dog will not drop a bird or dummy until directed by command to do so.

Is your dog threatening other dogs at other times....if no, I would not worry unless you see her stop a retrieve to address another dog, in that case I would give her a HERE burn HERE! If the dog was in a fight, like others say, do not use the collar, it could escalate the battle. My best girl, will snarl at approaching dogs, but she will not drop her bird or dummy and she will continue her retrieve....! She is a AKC SH with a WCX, if anyone saw her being aggressive in any way, not only would she not pass the tests, we would be asked to leave the field.

Good luck

Thiner

Post by Thiner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm leaning more towards her just wanting to work and not have other dogs pestering her. She's playful with any dog she meets in a non working environment but if we're in the field she won't hardly even look at another dog out there with her and she's been that way since she was about 8 months old.

Thiner

Post by Thiner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:24 pm

After going back through the replies again she never quit a retrieve to snarl or nip. It was after she brought it back and gave it to me and was sitting there while i was holding it and the other dog came over beside us to sniff around when she snarled and nipped at her. The only other time she's done anything like this was this winter when we were out looking for sheds and if she'd find a bone from a dead animal and the other dog would come by her and she'd give a little growl. I'm gonna chalk it up to her being all about the the business at hand. Thanks again for all the replies.