Idaho sage grouse opener

fishvik

Idaho sage grouse opener

Post by fishvik » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Today was the opener in Idaho. I was hunting north of Idaho Falls. I probably saw close to 100 birds. Most were in groups of 5-15 with one in excess of 20. The one I shot (Limit is only 1 a day) was a juvenile hen. I guess there was real good clutch success this year. Despite the dry hot summer, habitat conditions were surprisingly good. Both dogs did well.

Wyobio

Re: Idaho sage grouse opener

Post by Wyobio » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:31 am

Lots of young birds here in W. Wyoming. I think the dry spring and all the remnant cover from the last few years with good moisture made conditions about perfect. Seemed like there were more hunters out than the past few years as well.....

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I sage grouse per day?

Why such a low bag limit?

reba

Post by reba » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:14 am

I am hunting them in Wyoming where the limit is 2 per day.

Lots of birds if you find the right habitat.

Hard to call the dogs off when their are a lot of birds.

Also seem to be more ruffed than last year.

Limits are usually based on the number of birds state wide. The length of season is also part of it and not all parts of the state are open for hunting sage grouse.

I am hoping chukar are doing as good.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:27 am

NEhomer wrote:I sage grouse per day?

They were nearly put on the endangered species list last year. Populations are strong in a few areas that have seen less development of sagebrush lands, but there range has been drastically reduced. Drought and oil and gas development have added to their woes....

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:33 am

Wyobio wrote:
NEhomer wrote:I sage grouse per day?

They were nearly put on the endangered species list last year. Populations are strong in a few areas that have seen less development of sagebrush lands, but there range has been drastically reduced. Drought and oil and gas development have added to their woes....
The area I hunted this year has a lot of birds year after year. Grazing and recreation are the primary uses for the area. As a retired BLM bio I have watched this area for the last 15 years. It has recovered from a fire in 2003 and the mosaic of mature sage, grass and forbs has created very good habitat. Add to that a very good livestock operator who takes care of his stock and his allotment and you have the recipe for stable sage grouse populations. Oil and gas is not found in Idaho. Good for birds. One of the justifications for the hunt was the collection of wings for population sex and age data. Of the 3 birds I shot this year 2 were juveniles and one was an adult. Two males and one female.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm

We just got back from hunting Montana, ND, and Canada. We found a lot of sage chickens close to pump jacks and haul roads. I don't think in most cases oil exploration hurts. We don't shoot them but they are great dog trainers and we are blessed with having them 15 min. from the house.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:24 am

mask wrote:We just got back from hunting Montana, ND, and Canada. We found a lot of sage chickens close to pump jacks and haul roads. I don't think in most cases oil exploration hurts. We don't shoot them but they are great dog trainers and we are blessed with having them 15 min. from the house.
Not trying to be jerk, but seeing animals (deer, antelope, sage grouse) around some pump jacks does not mean oil and gas development does not have a significant impact on their populations. In W. Wyoming, gas fields overlap with winter range for big game and sage grouse leks. Multiple studies have shown that they will avoid the areas with human disturbance. They will avoid these areas, which means they are not using the best habitat, and their numbers decline. Also, they have created perching and nesting structures for and ravens, which also hit the sage chickens pretty hard. The companies have tried their best to use practices that minimize disturbance and vehicle traffic, but there is no getting around the fact that the activity has hit the grouse, deer and antelope pretty hard.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 am

Wyobio wrote:
mask wrote:We just got back from hunting Montana, ND, and Canada. We found a lot of sage chickens close to pump jacks and haul roads. I don't think in most cases oil exploration hurts. We don't shoot them but they are great dog trainers and we are blessed with having them 15 min. from the house.
Not trying to be jerk, but seeing animals (deer, antelope, sage grouse) around some pump jacks does not mean oil and gas development does not have a significant impact on their populations. In W. Wyoming, gas fields overlap with winter range for big game and sage grouse leks. Multiple studies have shown that they will avoid the areas with human disturbance. They will avoid these areas, which means they are not using the best habitat, and their numbers decline. Also, they have created perching and nesting structures for and ravens, which also hit the sage chickens pretty hard. The companies have tried their best to use practices that minimize disturbance and vehicle traffic, but there is no getting around the fact that the activity has hit the grouse, deer and antelope pretty hard.
+1

mask

Post by mask » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 am

I don't think anyone is being a jerk. I did say in most cases it doesn't hurt. If in a specific area there is harm done to a population that speaks for itself. I was just giving an opinion based on my own experience.