Sending dogs off To Training

Randy806

Post by Randy806 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:08 am

I just sent my 2 GSP off for training for 3 month's. They are brothers and the trainer said they are very timid. How long does it take them to adjust to there new home? Anyone had any experience these are my first bird dogs.

Timewise65

Re: Sending dogs off To Training

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:09 am

I have always used a Pro in training my Golden Retrievers. Over the years I have used three different pro's.
The first one, although he got our dog through the basic hunting skills, did not use techniques that I agreed with so after 90 days. What I learned here was to do more 'due diligence' when selecting a trainer.

The second one we used was a great trainer for Retrievers. He trained 3 of our dogs up to the JH level. I only stopped using him on our recent pup because he had retired from training and running dogs.

The one we currently use trained our Golden for a total of 12 months, this was not continuously because I wanted to run her in hunt tests at the JH level as soon as she was ready. Then came our first hunting season, then after that, back to the trainer to 'finish her'. Following that she got her SH title and is ready for MH, which she will pass fairly quickly. But first hunting season this year.

Bottom line all my retrievers have been in home dogs, and pets for our kids and eventually Grandkids. The dogs adapt fairly quickly when left with a trainer, it is the dog owners that struggle with the dog being gone. Dogs do not think like people, so do not transfer how you feel and think to the dog. A good trainer in time will help you learn how dogs think....

Typically, with retrievers, do not take the dog to the trainer until it is mature enough. Earliest, from my experience is 6 months but more likely 8-10 months. A good trainer will not work with an immature dog, they would call you and say pick the dog up until it matures a bit more. This saves you money, but not all trainers will do this, so be careful. Starting the dog a bit later is better for all and may save you a couple of months training cost. I also would advise you not to go and see the dog for maybe 90 days after you drop off the dog. So if you are only using a trainer for 90 days, stay away, until the trainer says he wants to start training you along with the dog. This usually is the last step in the first three months of training. Don't worry, the dogs never forgets you or his 'pack', so if you are hanging around with the initial training, it takes some focus off of the trainer. Seems to me after 90 days the dog has learned the training game, and can jump all over you and have a good play, but if the trainer calls he/she will immediately go to the trainer for some fun working bumpers and birds.

Instead of worrying about how the dog will adapt, spend time researching what trainer you use and working with your dog on basic obedience, which will give you some since of how mature the dog is. Immature dogs, tire of training easily, show some avoidance during training, and are easily distracted. But, it takes a good eye to recognize this...

Good Luck

Randy806

Post by Randy806 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply. The trainer comes highly recommend by several of my friends who have used him with great success. Both my dogs are 18months old and know all there obedience commands. Guess it's more me
Worrying about how they will adapt to being gone. Thanks for your reply

E the B

Post by E the B » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:04 am

My wife also had anxiety over sending or eight-month Lab away for a four month stint. He came back so well behaved that she said it was the best thing we could have done. He fit right back into our home like he never left, and he is good afield. Her worries were for naught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy806

Post by Randy806 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 pm

So the trainer said they were very insecure the first week and even growled at him. He said this week they are getting better and said he would let me know after a month if he thought they were going to make bird dogs or not. Does this sound right?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Randy806 wrote:So the trainer said they were very insecure the first week and even growled at him. He said this week they are getting better and said he would let me know after a month if he thought they were going to make bird dogs or not. Does this sound right?
Hmmm Not convinced that decision can be made that quickly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 am

Randy806 wrote:So the trainer said they were very insecure the first week and even growled at him. He said this week they are getting better and said he would let me know after a month if he thought they were going to make bird dogs or not. Does this sound right?
Only had something like that happen once, when after the first 30 days my trainer called and said pick her up!!?? Then he went on to say that he got through the basic obedience work fairly quickly, but as he entered into the FF, she was not working well. He said he thought is was a maturity thing, but cannot be 100% sure. He suggested I bring her home and continue the obedience work and do some hunting with her, then in 2-3 months bring her back. That is what we did and it was smooth sailing after that. My trainer saved me money by having me bring her home letting her mature a bit more.....I fear some trainers may have kept her until she responded....

Good Luck