NY Grouse Opener Tomorrow

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Tomorrow is the opener here in NY. Good Luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max2

Re: NY Grouse Opener Tomorrow

Post by Max2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:34 am

I had every intention on taking off today and heading north for the NY opener but unfortunately work will take precedence . :D
ugh ....I must be getting old. I just have work promises and commitments . I have always declared it's a tuff life to be a sportman.... :cry: these decisions we are faced with. Southern zone NY opens in another 11 days which I hope to get for though perhaps not opening day as it falls on the weekend this year. To all that are able to make it out today up north good luck & safe hunt !

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 am

Flew some birds this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 am

Hot and humid temps made for challenging scenting conditions. Hoping next day off is a little cooler.

Agross

Post by Agross » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 am

Im getting after them in the Southern zone opening weekend.

Keep us updated how your success is going. Makes the time to southern zone opener go that much quicker.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:12 pm

I did a day trip to the NZ Friday. Fished a run first light and swung one king on an intruder, some gear guys showed up , and it was time to hit the woods. Hunted for a bit , pointed 2 and had a wild flush. Ended up with one bird in the bag, a towering left to right shot. Had lunch and a siesta then drove home. Not a bad day off, even though it was a bit misty/rainy but it was cool and a consistent breeze.

marc

Post by marc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:17 am

Mauser and I got our first fall grouse on the first outing on our property. It was the only bird we sniffed that day, but it was only a quick after-work jaunt. At just one year old, Mauser handled it perfectly. Pointed at first scent @25 yards, and was steady to flush. Puppiness took over when he saw it drop at the shot, and he went and got it. :D

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 am

Terrific stuff...thanks for posting the pic and good luck with your little buddy this year.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:40 am

Mauser and I hit "The Saddles State Forest" just south of Whitehall on Sunday. It had been cut several years ago, but not that hard. Most of the edge were skidder trails, but there were open areas where several trees were cut in proximity to others. There wasn't much low cover, or food, other than acorns. After 3 hours we saw only one grouse, and it was in a tree! Mauser did the Snoopy dance under the tree, and it flew off as I approached. I was a learning experience for both of us, though. Mauser adjusted to the more open woods by running big (for me) at supersonic speed - up to 300 yards. I had to restrain from reeling him in, and allow him cover more ground than he would have to on my property. I was afraid of losing him over the knolls a few times, and hit the beep button on the e-collar a couple of times when the bell sound got really faint.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:03 am

No GPS collar marc?

marc

Post by marc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:45 pm

No.....just a 550.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Just got in from a quicky at my place. Mauser locked up on the edge of a trail pretty close to my Johnny House. I walked in, expecting a stray quail, and a grouse went up 40 yards away! It was in so thick I barely got a glimpse at it.I should have given it the 16ga salute just for Mauser, but I didn't even think of it during the moment. He watched and gave a yelped at it as it disappeared, and then went sniff-crazy where it was. Cool stuff!

Agross

Post by Agross » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Was up in Chenango this past weekend for the opener. Hunted in the afternoons with the dog. Overall better than expected. Had 5 flushes, one was a double, and got off two shots at the second bird from the double flush. Its still flying til this day.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Agross wrote:Was up in Chenango this past weekend for the opener. Hunted in the afternoons with the dog. Overall better than expected. Had 5 flushes, one was a double, and got off two shots at the second bird from the double flush. Its still flying til this day.
That's some good action! You scared 'em good!

One of my staff lives in Chenango. He gets some birds up with his lab.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:27 am

How are you NY guy's making out ? Sometimes I take a little breather from these sites . No rhyme or reason, kind of like when we hit the grouse woods. & (the directions we choose) Marc I was enjoying reading your posts when I left the interweb. Was hoping you would have posted some more for me to catch up on. Our season has been going like this. Weather has been kind of warm to get my almost 10 yr old pup out to hunt. Work has been 6 days a week for most of this season. Company on the weekends. We did get out one day for about 2.5 hrs and had a bast. Max still remembers how to play the game. Because of this hectic season so far and the little amount of time we have had to spend in the woods we were enjoying some evenings at just about sunset watching for incoming woodcock. Nothing like experiencing the little russet fellow against a gray fall sky and the sound of geese heading out. Were going to start getting out now. Next week perhaps...

Agross

Post by Agross » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:57 am

I will be going up Friday afternoon through Sunday.

Weather was looking off and on but Saturday looks like it will be a good day. Not too hot. Planning on bow hunting in the am and pm and hunt the dog from 10 to 3.

Hoping to find some timberdoodles along with grouse.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 am

Agross wrote:I will be going up Friday afternoon through Sunday.

Weather was looking off and on but Saturday looks like it will be a good day. Not too hot. Planning on bow hunting in the am and pm and hunt the dog from 10 to 3.

Hoping to find some timberdoodles along with grouse.
If I were you I would try it the other way around. Get out with the pup first light. I think it could be beneficial.
Just my humble opinion !
As far as the deer in our area a little chasing activity does seem to be in play. From what I have seen driving to & fro as well as reports from a friend who has been bow hunting.
Good luck in which ever decision you make !

marc

Post by marc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:45 pm

I had some fun with Mauser on Saturday morning. 9 flushes on just the east section of my property, and Mauser held a double and two singles for me like a champ! Too many leaves on the beech whips, and I didn't even get a shot off. :cry: I'm really happy that my logging really improved the grouse habitat though. :D

All excited, we headed out Sunday late morning to the same area. Only 2 flushes. Mauser pointed a bird, and by the time I got to him, nothing was there. After I released him, he hoovered up a thick patch, and then tracked for 50 yards. Then he broke off and did a big right to left loop, and nailed it from the downwind side. As soon as I heard the bell stop, the grouse busted out and flew low right-to-left down the trail we just walked. I shot and missed (it was going 8700mph!), and Mauser searched optimistically for a dead bird. :( I remembered to turn my camera on, but it was as he was swinging around to come back upwind. https://youtu.be/M5mG-EUUPec

This is fun stuff! I get bored deer hunting in about 1/2 hour!

Agross

Post by Agross » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:06 am

Max2

Really about the am hunts for grouse? I am new to this game but read somewhere that you should give them a couple hours after sunrise to get off the roost and walk around a little. Next time I will try earlier and save the bow hunting for the PM hunt only. Like Marc said grouse hunting is a lot more action than sitting on a deer stand for hours sometimes waiting for nothing. I am more of get up and go kind of person not sit and wait.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:09 pm

Early season you are good to hunt grouse an hour after sunrise. Today we had a dozen and half woodcock, and 6 grouse finds before 10oclock. After the snows come the birds begin budding in the morning and then come down to refuge cover around 10 am or stay up in pines if its real nasty out, coming down only to pick grit later in the day. Give it a couple hours after sunrise regardless of the weather (wind/rain) and you should have good dog work.

marc

Post by marc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Agross wrote:Max2
I am more of get up and go kind of person not sit and wait.
LOL!! I'm known to be a get up and went type.

Both Saturday and Sunday I hunted at about 8:30 to 10am

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:24 am

In re~reading my post I can see why you thought I meant first light. What I should have said was in the morning why not get out with the pup. Leave the deer for the afternoon. I agree totally with Bonasa & you on waiting an hour or so after first light to start your hunt. My apologies :D
That said glad to hear everyone seems to be enjoying their season !
It's gundog season forget about the deer ! Just my humble opinion ~

marc

Post by marc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:17 pm

The art of the nose......tactical elevation advantage.....