Idaho or Montana?

isonychia

Idaho or Montana?

Post by isonychia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:28 am

Hey all, been a while since I have posted and am seeking some quick info on the possibility of driving up to Idaho and Montana late October or November. I am leaning towards hunting Chukar in the Southern half of Idaho but am looking for other advice, maybe I should be pursuing a different species in a different area? I have never been to either state so it will be quite new for me. Any advice on where and what to hunt in the Southern portions of these states would be greatly appreciated, including thoughts on license costs, etc. Thanks so much! (Far eastern Wyoming would also be an option.)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Idaho or Montana?

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:39 am

I'd forget E. Wyo for birds; it isn't worth the effort.

Idaho, you can hunt all species in Hells Canyon; pheasant, chuckar, Hun, quail. Not much reason to go anywhere else.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:47 pm

No birds in Idaho this year, we had a bad hatch...;)
Tom

Montana

Post by Montana » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Northeast Montana is your best bet for the state (around Plentywood)... Tons of public ground there and they cater to non-resident hunters. You probably wouldn't have much trouble getting permission on private land as well. It gets a bit crazy in Montana when pheasant season opens, but prior to that and after the opening week it's pretty wide open. Lots of Huns and Sharptails and the bag limits are pretty liberal.... You can shoot 8 huns, 4 sharptail, and 3 pheasants per day.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:No birds in Idaho this year, we had a bad hatch...
Even worse in SE Idaho, no chukars here for the most part

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 pm

Montana wrote:Northeast Montana is your best bet for the state (around Plentywood)... Tons of public ground there and they cater to non-resident hunters. You probably wouldn't have much trouble getting permission on private land as well. It gets a bit crazy in Montana when pheasant season opens, but prior to that and after the opening week it's pretty wide open. Lots of Huns and Sharptails and the bag limits are pretty liberal.... You can shoot 8 huns, 4 sharptail, and 3 pheasants per day.
LOL... Alot of CRP taken out of program in that area and bird numbers are down from loss of habitat. I'm thinking you don't hunt that area!
Tons of public ground? There is a good amount of block management, if that's what you mean.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:55 pm

fishvik wrote:
Gordon Guy wrote:No birds in Idaho this year, we had a bad hatch...
Even worse in SE Idaho, no chukars here for the most part
Me thinks the tongue is planted firmly in the cheek here with the first response.....

I have very seldom heard anyone on the internet say "WOW! there are tons of birds here, come hunt in my area!!!" :D

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Wyobio wrote:Me thinks the tongue is planted firmly in the cheek here with the first response.....I have very seldom heard anyone on the internet say "WOW! there are tons of birds here, come hunt in my area!!!"
Wybio, I was taking about the fact we have very little chukar habitat in SE Idaho. Lots of sage chickens this year, I can report that 'cause the season ends tomorrow.

Rik

Post by Rik » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Just got back from Miles City, MT. Found same numbers of Sharp Tails and Grays (Huns) as last year. Smaller groups more widely scattered but more of them.

Haven't been in Plentywood area for a couple of years, but my impression is that CRP reduction has not changed the amount of Block Management land availability. More hunting pressure in Plentywood area than Miles City for Pheasant but very little for Sharps and Huns. Pheasant opens in Mid October. Sharps and Huns are open now.

Best Chukar hunting in Idaho is a long way from you. The Snake River Canyons always hold good numbers of birds. Pretty easy to find with a good dog but hard to kill and retrieve in steep, rocky canyon country.