PA State Lands

GSPONPOINT32

PA State Lands

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:37 pm

I know it's a long shot but has anyone hunted either Cumberland or Franklin county PA in the early part of the season? I've hunted both for late season but was interested in giving it a try the Monday after season opens.

I know there are birds...I am looking for more of a gauge on how many hunters I may encounter.

I believe it's state game lands 235 and 169

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROTTnBRITT

Re: PA State Lands

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Check on huntingpa.com. Im sure there are folks over there that hunt those areas.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Ruffed Grouse or Pheasants?

GSPONPOINT32

PA State Lands

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Pheasant...state stocks them in pa

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:55 pm

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:Pheasant...state stocks them in pa
I know....that pheasant program is presently threatened.
There is yet another call for a pheasant stamp to help and....PA needs to raise license fees...be nice to see both.

IF....this is the final year then all the pheasants in the hatcheries are likely to be stocked.....so, to answer your question, there will be the same number of birds released in each area as last year...or more.
And that could well mean more hunters will be out and about...tho I suspect they will add more stocking days to the schedule in addition to more birds per release in such a case.
Still, elsewhere many of those hunters burn out by noon and one is good to go and walk a bit.
If you go first thing, first day....you will find hunters...on any stocked Gameland. :idea:

GSPONPOINT32

PA State Lands

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 pm

I would support a pheasant stamp. A preserve hunt is at least $100 so I feel as though anywhere from $25 - $100 is reasonable for the service the game commission is providing. I would not be in favor of a license fee increase. Whitetail hunting on public land in PA is miserable.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:43 am

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:I would support a pheasant stamp. A preserve hunt is at least $100 so I feel as though anywhere from $25 - $100 is reasonable for the service the game commission is providing. I would not be in favor of a license fee increase. Whitetail hunting on public land in PA is miserable.
Always surprised when a pheasant stamp of $25 does not make it..as with a Fed woodcock stamp but, we will see.
PA has not had a license increase in a long time, they need one.....the Marcellus money will not erase all worries and costs.
Hopefully, the USoP keeps their biased nose out of the decision mix...and,decisions are coming to a head in a few days.

Whitetail hunting deserves to be miserable, everywhere, when considering the damage deer do to early successional and how dnr/pgc money gets sucked toward them. I hate to see browse lines and I saw them in PA. Luckily, the Alt magic worked and the deer dropped....too much in a few areas but...so what, they will return like rats do.
Try sw PA...still too many deer there.

PGC Gamelands, for many critters, are a tribute to what can be done.
I do not live there and many residents do not understand what they have across that state.
Good luck and if a Gameland is crowded then head to another...be glad for options in PA....options are not found in that degree everywhere.