ND GROUSE

ulmer86

ND GROUSE

Post by ulmer86 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am

Went out grouse hunting all on public land did good took lots of miles on the boots to find some. I had been sharptail hunting when I was younger my dad would take us then sports in high school came in to play and going out to western ND became a thing of the past. I don't know y I waited this long to go again. Now that my short hair is 4 wish I would have brought him out grouse hunting sooner he seemed to love it (maybe bow hunting was more on top of the list tell pheasant opened) Fist pic was opining weekend 2nd pic oct. 1st
and picked up new pup that I just had to have :wink:
sorry for the sideway pic not sure how to make them go the right way
more pic to come soon pheasant opens tomorrow!!!!
Hope this fall hunting season keeps going good and hope you all have a good one as well!!
IMG_01[attachment=0]IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnaj_springer

Re: ND GROUSE

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Awesome job! It's been too long since I've gone looking for sharpies but they are their own bird, that's for sure!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:08 pm

The sharpie season has been open here in Idaho for a week. Been out three times and there seem to be a lot of birds but they are pretty spooky. I've seen a few large groups already which definitely seems early.

ulmer86

Post by ulmer86 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:13 am

I had ran I to a few groups that had 1/2 -1 doz. One really big group, was a strong windy day found them on the back side of a grass hill along a field where they had been feeding. After the point , flush, shot it reminded me of jump shooting snow geese the hill sided just exploded kept flushing. I had enough time to reload the over and under and take the last one I need for my limit and they were still getting up. I have never seen that many at one time. Not sure if it was cuz of the strong wind that day or close to the road hunting pressure that pushed them to where I had walked in to not sure . Do they group up more on really windy days????
I did mark that spot on my GPS not sure if there like pheasants or deer where with strong wind i have a few "honey holes" that never let me down. or do they just go where ever the fell like it?? For the most part was 4-5 that I was finding some singles and doubles.

Pheasant hunting started with some bad luck. My GSP hit a fence not even 20 min. in to the fist walk. He's normally respects fences but I didn't even see it. was in the cattails about 3 feet. not cut up to bad where we had to get him to the vet. But enough to end the hut for opening weekend. Now the other day did a short hunt got back to the pick up seen blood. When to check him out thought no way that cut was open it had been healed could hardly tell it had happened. Come to find he cut the back pad on the hind leg. It don't seem to bother him. He never missed a beat. Never had a pad go out on a dog he's 4 and had cattle dogs growing up so not sure how long we are out of the season for now. Very time I see a pheasant or hear them I say "see you in a week or 2" haha am I making false promises and really out for a lot longer now????
Hope everyone is having better luck and smelling that sweet smell of gun powder on these fall days!!!