Looking for advice on next pheasant dog

ghazg

Post by ghazg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Hello everybody,

Yesterday I found out that my hunting companion of 9 years has liver cancer and might be around just until the end of this season. In lieu of this I am trying to get advice on what kind of dog to get next. My current dog is an English Pointer. He is an awesome pointer and retriever, very obedient, etc. The only thing I wish I could change is that he didn't range out so far. Here in CT range it's not as important as in a lot of places out West.

I am 100% looking for another pointing dog. I would prefer a dog that would range a little closer than an English Pointer. I have been researching dogs for a while now but not too seriously. I like Brittany Spaniels but I wonder how much of a mess their longish hair would be. Also, I have heard that their stamina can be lacking. I hunted with one once and after an hour it was wiped, while my Pointer can go nonstop for 3 hours. I don't know if that is dependent on environment, as my dog has plenty of land to run around all day every day.

I am also looking for a breed with generally good health. One reason I got an English Pointer is because they are supposed to be able to easily hit the 15 year mark... I like English Setters but I keep reading that they are very prone to health issues.

Anyways, any help on recommendations with picking out a next dog for pheasant hunting here in CT would be much appreciated. I figured it would be much better to ask you guys than endlessly looking online.

Tmechelberry

Post by Tmechelberry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 pm

I am a big fan of setters. I'm a die hard red setter fan but I do love English setters as well. In setters you can get a dog that ranges real for or close depending on the bloodline and how it's parents hunt. Personally I would definitely really consider a English or red setter or a German shorthair. I've never had a GSP but I know they are great dogs as well. Sorry to hear about your pointer. Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meller

Re: Looking for advice on next pheasant dog

Post by Meller » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:00 am

Have you looked at the Llewellin Setter. If you want a house dog and a hunting dog, they do both nicely.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 am

Sorry to hear about your buddy. It's always tough.

I think I'm going a different route than the previous posts... If you like EP's (I have one too), why not try to find a line that is breeding for what you want as far as range and retrieve go. I know some people are down on Pointers as retrievers, but mine loves it, and after FF she brings them right to hand. What kind of range are you looking for anyway?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:04 am

Mnaj, had good advice on finding a good walking trial bred foot hunting line of pointers. You are fairly close to a lot of good kennels. Every dog is different but start with the ones that are predisposed to do what you want, have a lot of handle and brains to match. Those CT pheasant won't stand a chance, again.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:36 pm

The breed is strictly up to what you want as there are good pups in every breed that would fit what you want in the field. Look for dogs you like and get a pop from that family of dogs and then train to the method you like to hunt.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Who ever said Brittanys are lacking in stamina has never been around the breed very much. It is the farthest thing from the truth. The dog you saw must have really been out of shape. Brittanys in general don't have real long hair. Shorter than a setter. But a lot of that can depend on the breeder. My Brittany has a short flat coat that never needs trimming. Shedding is somewhat of a problem but you will have that with most any breed. And just an FYI. They are not called Brittany Spaniels. The Spaniel was dropped from the name over 30 years ago.

Have you considered a Small Munsterlander? They are generally a closer working dog. Also, a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. They range closer and shedding isn't a real big problem. Otherwise I'd look for another Pointer or a GSP that is from breeding that tend to hunt closer and aren't big runners.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Who ever said Brittanys are lacking in stamina has never been around the breed very much. It is the farthest thing from the truth.
Ditto. My Britt runs until I am afraid she'll drop. So much heart. And the best 'pet' dog I've ever had. As I write this, she is cuddled up against me on the couch, with her head on my chest. :lol:

Bigdon

Post by Bigdon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Cant beat a brit for what you are asking for. Dont worry about stamina. I ran mine in Arizona, Iowa, montana. He adapted to all situations.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:21 pm

When I looked for my pup last year I just kinda found a couple breeds I would like the most to have. For example I chose I either wanted an English Setter or English Pointer. Then I looked for both of them all over till I found ones that I liked how they were and looked but mostly liked how their parents hunted and how the breeders were. Any breed will range close if you get the right bloodlines but I think typically the EP ranges farthest, then ES, then GSP and britttamy. I don't know much about the Brittany but from what I've heard the typical range isn't as far as typical EP range. And this is jus toy opinion from what I've heard and seen and hunted behind and also read online. But every dog and bloodline is different.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 am

Good advice all around. It's not really the breed, so much as the line and how the dog (if it's of the right line) is trained. Nevertheless, your wife will be happy to hear that wirehairs (i.e. German Wirehaired Pointers) shed the least of any hunting breed and they are very humorous dogs as well. See some good ones (which is most of them), preferably decently groomed, and see if you like the look. Longevity is never assured, but they are a very healthy breed with a long working life. They will do a job for you on anything you hunt, and will track and retrieve it. And if you like idea of a stable, sensible protective dog as as well..

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:32 am

Braque Francais type Pyrennes. French Pointer. Sounds like what you're looking for.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The breed is strictly up to what you want as there are good pups in every breed that would fit what you want in the field.
The above is an accurate statement. In the major breeds, you'll find dogs that run big and small.

The most surefire way to get what you want, which sounds like a 100 to 150 yard dog, is to buy a yearling that washed out of FT because of range. You'll find pointers, setters, gaps, and brits that would fit the bill. Seriously, you'll get great value this way as well. Most will have, at minimum 180 days on them and maybe even a camp but they'll sell for pennies on the dollar.

However, my personal preference is for a big running dog that learns when to shorten and I can chop back when needed.

Up North

Post by Up North » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:49 am

For pheasents it's hard to beet a GSP! As far as range one must find the right breeder that fits your style.