PA Pheasant

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:59 am

Anyone headed to PA for the opener on Saturday? Going to be a first for me with my own pup. Hopefully a late afternoon hunt will result in less pressure and we can clean up a couple leftovers that the human dogs leave behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pooch897

PA Pheasant

Post by pooch897 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Of course I'm in a wedding that day. I'm in the same boat though. This will be my first full season with my Britt

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:23 pm

What section of PA? I'll be hunting south central Franklin and Cumberland county

pooch897

PA Pheasant

Post by pooch897 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 pm

I'll be hunting Westmoreland and Armstrong county

Pheasanttracker

Re: PA Pheasant

Post by Pheasanttracker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Dog is already going nuts since kicking up two woodcock in the backyard orchard this week, expecting some rain here in northeastern pa but wont miss it for anything.

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am

Yep calling for rain Friday and lower chance Saturday. I was thinking about running him Friday before the season on the JR hunt released birds for the experience. I'm just worried about excessive pressure on Saturday. Young dog and I don't want him dealing with everyone else's dogs/hunters. Might wait for Monday morning.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:05 pm

That is the problem with much of PA on opening day. it is like the first day of trout season, its combat. usually by lunch the crowds are less and you will have some sbility running your new dog with few other dogs to interfere. i try to walk to the farthest back field to avoid crowds even if it means seeing less birds. I have been seeing quite a bit woodcock this week. might want to take him out friday on woodcock, they hold pretty well.

Pheasanttracker

PA Pheasant

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 am

Went out this morning. Wet and windy but didn't stop the dogs. Limited out for the hunting party in about 15 minutes. The rain kept most hunters at home and those without dogs seemed to just be doing a lot of walking. Two of our birds were shot after 2 other hunting parties of five walked through the field. They had 1 dog between the 10 of them.

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:21 am

I took my pup out from 1430-1630. It was his first pheasant hunt. The wind was blowing 25mph but he managed to find 2 that were holding tight. He tried to creep in on both and so I let them fly away. We had fun and saw very few hunters. Going back Monday.

Pheasanttracker

PA Pheasant

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:I took my pup out from 1430-1630. It was his first pheasant hunt. The wind was blowing 25mph but he managed to find 2 that were holding tight. He tried to creep in on both and so I let them fly away. We had fun and saw very few hunters. Going back Monday.

How old is your pup?

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Pheasanttracker wrote:
GSPONPOINT32 wrote:I took my pup out from 1430-1630. It was his first pheasant hunt. The wind was blowing 25mph but he managed to find 2 that were holding tight. He tried to creep in on both and so I let them fly away. We had fun and saw very few hunters. Going back Monday.

How old is your pup?

He's 10 months

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Did you have any luck today? tht dog needs to get some pheasant feathers in his mouth

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Pheasanttracker wrote:Did you have any luck today? tht dog needs to get some pheasant feathers in his mouth
RIGHT!!??

He did better than Saturday. Wind was about 10-15mph. He found 6 birds and really started working hard today. Unfortunately I refuse to shoot one that he flushes. The last rooster of the day flushed right in front of him and I was still 40 yards back. He held steady so I felt bad that I couldn't finally reward him.

He's getting good bird exposure and learning how close he can get with the wind blowing. Hopefully tomorrow I can put one on the ground for him! I have to help him by hunting into the wind as much as possible.

Brian

Oh and he held solid on a groundhog which was interesting. [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016102 ... 50a48c.jpg[/img]

pooch897

PA Pheasant

Post by pooch897 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Image He did ok for first hunt of the year.

GSPONPOINT32

PA Pheasant

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Nice! I'm very happy with the number of birds we have seen so far. We've been out 4x. Headed out Monday Tuesday morning and Friday same location 235 in south central PA

The only thing I can complain about is the number of hunters. Overall it's been positive for my young pup and I think he is learning. Hopefully next week we have a full breakthrough and get some steady points.