Show us your unconventional bird dog

dawgmama

Show us your unconventional bird dog

Post by dawgmama » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:47 pm

We have two English Setters and a GWP and a Shorty Jack Russell Terrier. We bring the Terrier on grouse and woodcock hunts in NE Wisconsin, because we want him tired too, after hunting the others all day. He started to get the idea of the hunt, and would run over to the pointing dog at the sound of the beeper. But... he'd bump the bird, and we wouldn't get a shot, especially during the early season with all the leaves on the trees. My husband was not amused! I taught him "wait" and now, when he goes into the point, he sits and waits till we shoot or flush the bird. He's made a quite a few nice finds on both grouse and woodcock. With his little legs, he hunts pretty close so we can shoot the ones he flushes on his own. We do get some funny looks when we hunt our compact flusher! Any pics of your non traditional bird dog?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Show us your unconventional bird dog

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:58 pm

My JRT has been taught to back too.

but he prefers to look for squirrels

dawgmama:
Too nice a pic not to fix. I hope you don't mind.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:21 pm

I have a friend who hunts with a Border Collie cross. He does a real nice field search and flush, stop to flush, and retrieves to hand. Also does water retrieves, and blood tracking, but mostly upland work. Sorry, I don't have a picture. He's a really nice dog, the kind who wants to work for his owner and a great family pet, too.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks for fixing the picture. I was up in my tree stand, on my phone, must have goofed something up! Your Jack looks like he's full of fizz too! They sure are characters, and love to be with their humans! That Border collie cross
sounds like a great dog! My daughter has a BC, but unless the birds look like a tennis ball, she's not interested. She does do a good job of herding rabbits in the yard so the Jacks can catch em!
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.