Two dog problem

tsl34

Two dog problem

Post by tsl34 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:10 pm

I have a new problem. I've hunted two dogs together for years without this issue, but this season my two GSPs seem to be in constant competition, trying to outrun the other, steal points and in it they're bumping birds. Really putting a damper on the hunt. For a little background, both males, they live together in the house, one in his eighth year and the other in his fourth. They've hunted and trained together since I bought the second one. I guided for several years and have almost always ran two pointers together. I've ran each dog with other dogs and never had this issue. Just seems like this year it's gotten to be a big problem. I'm not sure if it's because the four year old is starting to take over as top dog now that the older male is slowing down but wondered if anyone else has had this. I believe I'm going to have to start hunting just one at a time, but trying to avoid it if I can help it. Any advice is appreciated.

reba

Re: Two dog problem

Post by reba » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:24 am

I have the same problem with my two GSP's 4 and 8 years old.

Hunt one dog at a time and each dog hunts much better.

Best wishes.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:50 am

discipline, training, reinforcement of the both.
Take Care
Pete

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:26 am

If they are completely trained, hit that point stealer with the collar. He knows better. If one starts chasing the other on break away correct it also.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:29 pm

It is natural for bird dogs to 'compete' for birds. That is why we train them to 'honor' each other on point. I agree with above, this is a training problem. Work independent and rebuild the command or use pressure to reinforce the disobedience to a command they already know...good luck!

I always remind myself that my three dogs will constantly challenge me to be consistent with what they are trained to do. They find out when they 'test me' that pressure is the result of not following the training they have been taught....training never stops including reinforcing with pressure.

tsl34

Post by tsl34 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:55 am

I appreciate all the advice. I've gone solo with each dog since and it does appear to be that the older male who is slowing down has decided to compete and needed a bit extra reinforcement. A few training sessions on pen raised birds and he firmed up and has fallen back to be more close working. Thanks fellas!