Northern Wisconsin Grouse Hunt

natel24

Northern Wisconsin Grouse Hunt

Post by natel24 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:39 am

Got home yesterday from a quick grouse hunt in northern Wisconsin. Hunted the Chequamegon national forest around the clam lake area. Spent 6 hours day 1 and 3 hours day 2 hunting. We saw about 15 birds with shots on less than half of those. Only had single bird flushes. Bagged three birds total, enough to keep me coming back. I was once again humbled by these birds, they are quick to flush, and never ever flush towards me, always flushing deeper into the woods. The dog did excellent considering this is only are second trip grouse hunting. We also saw two cow elk sitting in the sun, and yes there are elk in this area of Wisconsin (have pictures to prove it). Also had a scary run in with a wolf when my dog Gibby decided to lock on point looking into the entrance of the den. The wolf poked his head out and both Gibby and I slowly backed away, scared as heck. All I could think of is this #7 bird shot isn't going to do anything to that wolf, whose head was twice the size of my dogs. All and all it was a good quick trip and may make another trip up there this year. Stayed at a nice place called Clam Lake Junction, nice little motel that is pet and hunter friendly.
gibbygrouse1.jpg
elk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

bonasa

Re: Northern Wisconsin Grouse Hunt

Post by bonasa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 am

Great pics and write up!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 am

Very nice....thanks for posting.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:11 pm

very nice! scary about the wolf! you must be pretty unlucky to see one of the only 900 in the state! :roll: :lol:

natel24

Post by natel24 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50 pm

http://www.wdio.com/Outdoors/hunting-do ... n/4289057/

Not sure if lucky is the right word.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:45 pm

natel24 wrote:http://www.wdio.com/Outdoors/hunting-do ... n/4289057/

It is getting out of hand. The wolves have caught on that hunting dogs are easy prey. Unfortunately our DNR is more worried about feeding the wolves with elk introduction and poor deer management then they are with managing them. Luckily, many citizens have taken it upon themselves to take care if the problem. More than one way to skin a cat.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:01 pm

luvthemud wrote:

It is getting out of hand. The wolves have caught on that hunting dogs are easy prey. Unfortunately our DNR is more worried about feeding the wolves with elk introduction and poor deer management then they are with managing them. Luckily, many citizens have taken it upon themselves to take care if the problem. More than one way to skin a cat.
Most of the western states have learned that a hunting season on wolves definitely teaches wolves that humans are a good thing to avoid along with their dogs.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 pm

fishvik wrote:
luvthemud wrote:

Most of the western states have learned that a hunting season on wolves definitely teaches wolves that humans are a good thing to avoid along with their dogs.

WI knows that too. Unfortunately the federal court system did not agree with USFWS and WI DNR. Thus no wolf season in WI.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm

luvthemud wrote:It is getting out of hand. The wolves have caught on that hunting dogs are easy prey. Unfortunately our DNR is more worried about feeding the wolves with elk introduction and poor deer management then they are with managing them. Luckily, many citizens have taken it upon themselves to take care if the problem. More than one way to skin a cat.
Most of the western states have learned that a hunting season on wolves definitely teaches wolves that humans are a good thing to avoid along with their dogs.[/quote]

Makintrax73 wrote:WI knows that too. Unfortunately the federal court system did not agree with USFWS and WI DNR. Thus no wolf season in WI.
I am a retired federal wildlife and fisheries bio and my wife is still working at it. One of the things I learned in 35 yrs of working was the ignorance of the federal courts on biology issues and the incompetence of our solicitors and federal attorneys in presenting a conservation case.