looking for a hunting partner

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:21 am

My retired hunting partner passed away several years ago. He died on a hunting trip. Way to go. I am retired. Have one heck of a bird dog. 76 yrs old but will still chase chuckar till my 3 yr old dog wears out. Will travel anywhere in the west to hunt birds. My own area ( So Cal) has no birds because of drought. I am not looking to steal hunting spots. My wife does not like me hunting completely alone. Recently spent 2 weeks scouting and hunting Chuckar in northern nevada by myself. Found hunderds of birds but the area needed more hunters and i did not want to stay out late in the evening because i was hunting alone.

Spyro

Re: looking for a hunting partner

Post by Spyro » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Are you comfortable on horses?

I have a couple of shorthairs and setters

SetxGsp

Post by SetxGsp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:34 am

Buddy I wish We didn't have so much distance between us.Good luck and good hunting!

reba

Post by reba » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:08 am

I sent you a message.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Oldbeek. Why do u need more hunters?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:Oldbeek. Why do u need more hunters?
Read his post, he explains it well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Read his post, he explains it well.

Ezzy
Wut? Nuttin was explained. Why dont u explain then ezzy?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:39 am

Hey moonshine.
He said the little lady doesn't like him hunting alone for one. I certainly understand that one. His hunting buddy crossed over and a little companionship is nice to share a hunt with. Some areas another hunter could help.
To each his own.
Apparently these things aren't important to you but there is no reason to think that everyone's preferences should align with yours.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:09 pm

JMHO of course..

I for one think it’s an awesome solicitation and one I’d take oldbeek up on in a heartbeat if logistics would allow.

Although he might think he was getting the best part of the deal, my experience when becoming engaged with folks whom have been there done that has been quite the contrary.

My gut tells me that someone with the ability to partner up would be a fool not to do so.

I hope you find the partner your looking for oldbeek.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I read that he feels chukar need a bunch hunters to be successly hunted. Totally un unrelated to needinding a hunting partner. Ezzy your a chukar hunting expert aren't you? Educate us

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:I read that he feels chukar need a bunch hunters to be successly hunted. Totally un unrelated to needinding a hunting partner. Ezzy your a chukar hunting expert aren't you? Educate us
OK, oldbeak lost his hunting partner and due in part to advancing age along with just good safety precautions he would like to find someone to hunt with as well as his wife would appreciate having someone with him too. I know I have those same feeling and it gets stronger as you grow older. Chukar has nothing to do with this, he was just giving us an example.

Sounds like an enjoyable as well as a safety feature everyone should be familiar with no matter what your age, especially when you are hunting large areas with many dangerous conditions.

Now, I hope we can move on.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:42 pm

The area needed more hunters explained. Found a box canyon with a spring at the entrance. Looking south there was a lava ridge about 1/2 mile long and 900 ft above the spring. Looking west another lava ridge, same description. Looking north another ridge, same description. Ridges were not connected. about 1/4 mile apart. Birds on all ridges. I get up on one ridge and move along the top and move a covey 2 times. The covey gets wise and sails across to the canyon. No hunter over there. Need to go down 900 ft and back up the other side to get to the birds. Then they would just fly to the third ridge. Get the picture!! Chuckar on their home ground will set up 2 or 3 defensive positions. If you have a hunter on each position, you can keep them moving. Also this area was about 5 miles to a paved road. It is nice to know that there is someone in the area just for safety sake.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 pm

oldbeek wrote:
The area needed more hunters explained. Found a box canyon with a spring at the entrance. Looking south there was a lava ridge about 1/2 mile long and 900 ft above the spring. Looking west another lava ridge, same description. Looking north another ridge, same description. Ridges were not connected. about 1/4 mile apart. Birds on all ridges. I get up on one ridge and move along the top and move a covey 2 times. The covey gets wise and sails across to the canyon. No hunter over there. Need to go down 900 ft and back up the other side to get to the birds. Then they would just fly to the third ridge. Get the picture!! Chuckar on their home ground will set up 2 or 3 defensive positions. If you have a hunter on each position, you can keep them moving. Also this area was about 5 miles to a paved road. It is nice to know that there is someone in the area just for safety sake.

Easy and boyfriend Greg Jacobs, it was you two that got off track about needing mult. Hunters. Your apologies will be appreciated. Lol

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:21 am

Apologies? Lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 am

Moonshine Ike wrote:
oldbeek wrote:

Easy and boyfriend Greg Jacobs, it was you two that got off track about needing mult. Hunters. Your apologies will be appreciated. Lol
You and you alone questioned the multiple hunters, the rest of us read the post about looking for a companion and thought he is right, some of us have been there.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:32 am

The thread title chosen by the OP is normally a good starting point.

Finding a hunting friend that meshes well is as tough as losing one who proves up the definition.
It is hard to believe there is ever a good time to go home but I do wish when it happens that a sunset, a cool wind, tired dogs and fresh memories of a day done well are involved.

Time, like forest succession, is relentless and many of us can recognize and understand time's loss, challenges and still needing to ...be there.
For the dogs and for ourselves.
Maybe why many who read the OP's thread....tossed away the chaff within.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 am

Mountaineer.
Such eloquence must have come with time.
Been blessed with two sons that I dearly love to spend time in the sage with.
Forced to work but would enjoy spending some time in the back country with you oldbeek, hope you find someone close by.
Hundreds of chukar? Can't say I find anything like that in central washington any more.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:46 am

There comes a time where it just isn't wise and sometimes not even possible to do the things we love by ourselves. For several decades I had the true joy of going afield with friends and family. And the best of those times was taking youngsters and oldsters along, either introducing or extending the joys we all experience. But now I have entered the period where I need someone along for aid or just safety and I occasionally have felt a reluctance from some to accompany me. I would try to steer the conversation in that direction and often heard the fear that something serious might happen while we were afield and they didn't want to be responsible. So many times I have to sit them down and explain if something happens to me I will leave this world while doing something I love and they are the ones that made that possible. Just never be afraid to help someone because it might be inconvenient to you.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:24 pm

since i posted this, i have come to realize how hard it is going to be to replace my old partner. We were one person in 2 bodies. We meshed perfectly. I think back when i was in my 40s ,i helped out an old guy who was 80. We would go to the skeet range every week, As he got older, he almost shot me when quail hunting and we just backed off from there. Then there was a Phesant trip to SD in 2007. Planned for months with a younger contractor i was working with. We were to hunt 3 days, take 3 days off and go down to Nebraska where he bought a dog and had an invite. Then go back to SD to a mutual friends ranch for 3 days. Great plan. We drove non stop there and hunted 3 days. Limits every day. THEN he got homesick. My god he was 45. Well i was riding with him. Off to home we go. I do have a son and several grandsons that i hunt with but they can not go on extended trips. Thanks for all the discussion.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

Ezzy and Greg, now that I am posting from a regular computer instead of a pad which made posting clearly tough, let me once again explain

Oldbeek wanting a hunting partner and Oldbeek needing more hunters to chase Chukars were 2 seperate things. I was addressing his need to have have several hunters in regards to chukar hunting, NOT the hunting partner aspect. I would think that a couple of internet jockies like Ezzy and Greg could of figured it out.

You 2 must been joined at the hip. Any time Ezzy spouts off there's Greg Jacobs coming up from behind saying "ya"

Ezzy, is Greg your little minnie me?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 am

Explain what a Minnie me is and I will be glad to let you know. That sounds like something I have heard from little kids but have never had it explained and can't find it in the dictionary.

Think maybe where you lost me is I didn't ever see where number of hunters entered in to the subject of looking for a partner other than a description of a hunt where he didn't feel he could climb all of the sides of the canyon by himself. Kind of like if he had said it was too warm I wouldn't think he was asking for ice that might melt before it cooled off..

Ezzy

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 am

Google is a wonderful thing, type in a word and the dictionary definition is readily available. It will even do the spell checking for you. Mini-mi is in the Oxford dictionary: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/mini-me

Mini-Me (ˈmɪnɪˌmiː)
n
1. a person who resembles a smaller or younger version of another person
2. a person who adopts the opinions or mannerisms of a more powerful or senior person in order to win favour, achieve promotion, etc
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mini-Me

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:40 am

This thread is out of control. Guy is looking for a hunting partner because he is getting older and it turns into a passive aggressive attack on him and any potential partners. Why even comment if you aren't interested in what he requested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm

nikegundog wrote:Google is a wonderful thing, type in a word and the dictionary definition is readily available. It will even do the spell checking for you. Mini-mi is in the Oxford dictionary: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/mini-me

Mini-Me (ˈmɪnɪˌmiː)
n
1. a person who resembles a smaller or younger version of another person
2. a person who adopts the opinions or mannerisms of a more powerful or senior person in order to win favour, achieve promotion, etc
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mini-Me
I have seen that but that is not what was said I asked about Minnie me but Gsponpoint makes a good comment, why not comment on what Oldbeak asked about and for get all of this other stuff. I kind of have the opinion that most of it is just to start a contraversity which I was trying to get across without being so blunt. But some just have to do it especially when someone posts they don't like. Hard to believe isn't it?

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Here's where we all got side winded. I specifically was interested in why Oldbeek thought he needed several people in a hunting party to pursue chukar. I was not equating this to having a hunting "partner" It was easy to see why Oldbeek was requesting a hunting PARTNER, it was explained well...that part was clear. For the sake of conversation I was curious about Oldbeeks need for multiple hunters chasing down chukar. I believe Oldbeek had posted an early post solely on the multi hunter thing. edit, here's that post - viewtopic.php?f=81&t=51597

Two different things. Ezzy and Greg were concentrating on the single partner part of the post......I was focused in on the chukar hunting strategy with several hunters in attendance. Yes, I should of replied to Oldbeeks original multi hunter post then his needing a partner post

Oh the internet! My original responses were from a tablet which makes posting and editing tough compared to a regular desk top PC, apologies for not being clear enough.

I love you all! :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for the post and every thing is cool.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:39 pm

oldbeek wrote:My retired hunting partner passed away several years ago. He died on a hunting trip. Way to go. I am retired. Have one heck of a bird dog. 76 yrs old but will still chase chuckar till my 3 yr old dog wears out. Will travel anywhere in the west to hunt birds. My own area ( So Cal) has no birds because of drought. I am not looking to steal hunting spots. My wife does not like me hunting completely alone. Recently spent 2 weeks scouting and hunting Chuckar in northern nevada by myself. Found hunderds of birds but the area needed more hunters and i did not want to stay out late in the evening because i was hunting alone.
I'd love to join up with you, but it's a bit of a drive. :)

(I won't go out with the dogs alone anymore either. )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm

oldbeek, Give me a holler if you want to meet in N. Nevada or S. Idaho.

Builderman21

Post by Builderman21 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 pm

If you get to western ND message me and ill work out some time. We have a lot of public land and I might be able to talk my wife's uncle into letting us hunt his family only honey hole. Or we can hunt sharp tails on my in laws place. And I know a guy near Idaho Falls who is very passionate about shorthairs and new hunting partners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:01 am

Oldbeek I would love to get out and hunt with you, I would love to learn techniques from someone with so much experience. I'll shoot you a private message also.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler