One of those "special" mornings......

steingre

One of those "special" mornings......

Post by steingre » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

I posted this on Uguide...and thought some might enjoy it here as well......

One of those "special" moments yesterday morning....I took my "old" dog- 10 yr old GSP- my buddy and I had only an hour or so to hunt. About 100 yds into the field...flushed a rooster, and made the shot. Another 100 yds...a quick point...and a rooster got up right under my feet....I was wearing gloves for the first time this year....and couldn't get the safety off!!! Went another 80 yds...another point...and another rooster...Gus made a nice retrieve, but going through a 5 strand barb wire fence out and back! Maybe another 60 yds...Gus started the "point and stalk"...and another rooster! I dropped him in the harvested bean field...just like the last one, and Gus was through the fence again. As I took the bird from him...I noticed a long, clean gash along the top of his head!!

I looked at my watch...8:19 am!! I started back to the truck, trying to stay out of my buddy's way...and Gus pointed two more roosters on the way back!! I got back to the truck, and was going to load him up...and darned if he didn't take another little 35yd run down into the field, and flushed the last rooster!!

My buddy..hunting in the same field...only flushed hens...a good number, though!

After getting home....a trip to the Vet...anesthesia and 11 stitches!!! That made the morning's birds a LOT more expensive...but worth every penny; you never know when a old dog's hunt could be his last!

Good luck, everyone!

marc

Re: One of those "special" mornings......

Post by marc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Great story Steingre. Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling Gus will be with you for some time!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Yes indeed. Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:08 pm

That is a great story and so true. Gun dogs are amazing creatures. I've had 2 that were hunting hard one day and gone the next. ( non stop seizure and ??)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:45 am

Never sell the ole timers short. They get it :D