Late season NY report

Max2

Late season NY report

Post by Max2 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:27 am

With the deer season winding down to where it is safe to get out during the week Max & I got out yesterday for an hour or so and moved a couple grouse. No grouse were harmed. loading firewood in the basement I kept hearing a grouse drumming so I called my little heal~shiner and we embarked on a mission to out that bird. ~ We did :)

marc

Re: Late season NY report

Post by marc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Ha! Hopefully you can hit them hard starting next week!

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 am

marc wrote:Ha! Hopefully you can hit them hard starting next week!
In fairness on this mission we hadn't brought the shooter. :D We were loading firewood when the call came in. Also in fairness I can't say had I brought the gun I would have connected ~ you know how grouse are...

mm

Post by mm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:20 am

Hows the snow so far. Thinking of heading up that way after all the deer hunting is done.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:08 am

mm wrote:Hows the snow so far. Thinking of heading up that way after all the deer hunting is done.
My area has little to nothing on the ground this morning . But ~ it's currently snowing pretty good with totals expected 4-6 inches.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 am

Over on the Vermont side we have just an inch or less on the ground. We expect 6" on Monday.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:20 am

Hallelujah !!
NY firearm deer season ends today ! NY has waaaaaay to long of a deer season. I feel they should shorten it by about 3 wks or so. :D Don't get me wrong I like croak'n deer & eat'n deer but a week long season should be fine.
Well not as much snow has fallen and if stays like this ~ next weekend should be good to get after the ruffled grouses in my Cabela vest & single barrel shotgun .

marc

Post by marc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:42 am

I'm heading out to croak a deer now! I've spent all my time hunting with Mauser, and I need to get some venison in the freezer.

I have 550 acres, and no trespassers anymore, but Mauser still sports his Cabela's Ripstop vest along with his New England bell.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:46 pm

The woods are a little heavy in the North Country. With the weather we've had recently I expect a hard crust soon so boots will be in order, but up here you never know

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:04 pm

How we doing NY guy's ? & Marc how did you make out ? Were you able to croak that deer this year ?

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:35 am

two feet of snow down in a lot of my covers in the northern adk. Gotta snowshoe it

marc

Post by marc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 am

Max2 wrote:How we doing NY guy's ? & Marc how did you make out ? Were you able to croak that deer this year ?
Yeah, I shot a decent doe on the last morning of late muzzleloader season. It took me 1/2 hour to walk out, take my pick of 6, and fetch it with the tractor!

Mauser and I have been going at it on my property every chance I get. I've shot one in the past few weeks, missed about 6, and average only 2 flushes per hour or so. I fear the predators may be downsizing my grouse "herd", because it isn't me!

marc

Post by marc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 am

DeLo727 wrote:two feet of snow down in a lot of my covers in the northern adk. Gotta snowshoe it
We have about 4-5", and it's wet, heavy and slippery. In the next few days it will become rock hard.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 am

marc wrote:
Max2 wrote:How we doing NY guy's ? & Marc how did you make out ? Were you able to croak that deer this year ?
Yeah, I shot a decent doe on the last morning of late muzzleloader season. It took me 1/2 hour to walk out, take my pick of 6, and fetch it with the tractor!

Mauser and I have been going at it on my property every chance I get. I've shot one in the past few weeks, missed about 6, and average only 2 flushes per hour or so. I fear the predators may be downsizing my grouse "herd", because it isn't me!
Crongrat's on the deer ! My guess is the grouse have moved. I don't think predators got them. I bet they moved to another area not all that far away. You must seek the treasure ! :D

Agross

Post by Agross » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Was at it this weekend. Over towards binghamton the snow has melted with about 60% of the ground cleared. But it was cold. Not a single grouse seen or heard. Any advice for this late season hunting.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:26 am

Any areas near where you hunt that were recently logged off ? This past fall or summer? Try hitting those little piles of tops that may be laying on the side of the hill( or rolling hills in your case : ) where the sun will be setting this afternoon. I like to hit them with wind right our kissers . Usually easy walking on the tote trails while your pup can go to work. Rubber boats may be beneficial . Good Luck !

marc

Post by marc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Mauser and I had a great weekend! Saturday we had one grouse down out of 3 pointed, and Sunday we got one out of 6 pointed. Mauser doesn't like to sit still for pics, and has his puss face on.