Eastern California Quail Hunt

coff20

Eastern California Quail Hunt

Post by coff20 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Met my dad in eastern California this weekend for his first quail hunt in two years after having to take a hiatus for heart surgery. We found plenty of birds and had a wonderful time. The pup did great giving us many points on singles and doubles and one really nice covey point. Yesterday, we crossed a creek and he immediately got birdy. He lowered his head and got into his stalking position, then slowly and cautiously began working towards the hillside parallel to the creek bottom. After a very methodical 150 yard or so approach, he locked up solid on point and about 15 yards ahead of him we flushed a covey of 50+ quail. It was a great hunt all around and being able to have the man who taught me just about all I know about hunting and fishing hunt over the dog I trained made it all the sweeter.
021 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie

mtlhdr

Re: Eastern California Quail Hunt

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 am

Wow, what a great day all around.

codym

Post by codym » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:26 am

Beautiful. Cali quail and mountail quail are all I have left for the slam hope to get some in the next year or two. Is that a Rosevelt shed?

coff20

Post by coff20 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:25 pm

I believe they're tule elk out there.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie