Prescription hunting/shooting glasses

luvthemud

Prescription hunting/shooting glasses

Post by luvthemud » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Got glasses about 6 years ago and never really got used to contacts. Only time I ever wear them is when hunting or when I want to wear sunglasses for an extended time.

Just got my first pair of prescription sunglasses and that got me to thinking about a designated pair of hunting/shooting glasses.

Any recommendations? There are a million options out there, in all sorts of tint colors. I know trap shooters like yellow, but is that good in the field?

mask

Re: Prescription hunting/shooting glasses

Post by mask » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I use Decot orange ice and like them a lot. I hunt in sage brush and rocks a lot. light yellow is my second choice. You might contact Susie Gray at 806-231-8586 or email at s.gray609@gmail.com. She is very knowledgeable and I recommend her.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 am

Morgan Optical...quality, experience, options, accurate prescriptions, super service and fast turn-around.

http://www.morganoptical.net

Tints are individual to eyes and conditions....I prefer the palest yellow.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon May 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for the leads guys!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 am

Do not assume "most" trap shooters wear a certain tint of lense color in their glasses. back in the 60's and 70's that might have been the case.
Lense color today are arrived at by shooting conditions present that day. Yellow would be a very poor choice on a cloudless day with new snow on the ground, your pupils would fryed.
check out the link At Decot and look at different shades. http://www.decot.com/content/General_In ... Colors.htm

My go to color under many circumstances, light Med target sun, for me very comfortable in most day time situations, by comfortable easy on the eye, along with excellent target bird contrast with many different back grounds.
Take your time when considering all the choices that there are in lense world
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon May 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I think yellow is OK on a gloomy overcast day perhaps. The selection of colors is vast today so, try some on before you buy. They are a tremendous investment! Ask anyone here that has rushed to get to a standing grouse or woodcock find only to have a small branch whip back and whack your eye!! Man....you're lucky if you walk away unscathed. Imagine if it was hawthorn!?!?!
It actually took me awhile to get used to mine but I love them now. I have yellow and I have ones that look like sunglasses but of course rest higher on the bridge of your nose as proper shooting glasses should. I rarely use the yellow ones because more-often-than-not, if it's overcast there could be eminent rain. That's the only time I feel my shooting glasses are a hindrance - in rain/snow. Some sets come with a selection of interchangeable lens but most guys just fall back on what they prefer most of the time and can't be bothered switching them - sort of like screw-in chokes or selectable triggers. ;)