Vail, Colorado

gsarria

Vail, Colorado

Post by gsarria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi All, I will be spending a few days in Vail, Colorado during the month of September. Are there any hunting opportunities in the region? I am not asking for honey holes just a general guidance so I know where to look for.
Thanks a lot for any advice.

tekoa

Re: Vail, Colorado

Post by tekoa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Blue Grouse ( now called Dusky Grouse in Colorado) are found in very good numbers along the edges where Sage meets Aspen at Elevation from 6,000 to 10,000 feet. City of Aspen is right in the sweet spot at 8,000 feet where Aspen groves are plentiful. Lots of easy access from mining and logging roads on National Forest. Private land access to mining and timber company land is available through the Colorado Fish and Wildlife Walk in Access program.

Duskies can be hunted without a dog but is much easier with a good nose to find widely scattered birds. It's big country and a lot of walking without a dog. If you are a Sea Level dweller remember that you and your dog will be hunting from 7,000 to 10,000 feet elevation and plan for the hunt to be shorter in time and distance than usual.

The Sporting goods stores in Aspen are good sources of local information about success rates, locations and access. Particularly if you buy your licenses and permits , and ammunition from them.

I've also hunted What Colorado calls Mountain Sharptail Grouse at lower elevations 5,000 to 6,000 feet in Shrub Steppe Sage Brush outside of Wolcott, Gypsum and Eagle West of Vail with good success.

Good luck

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks a lot Tekoa. I will he hunting with my 3 years old Pudelpointer. I'll be based in Eagle-Vail. Between Vail and Avon. Very helpful information. Once again, thanks a lot.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am

Blues (I still call them that), are odd birds. They breed and nest in the lower elevation areas, then move higher as the summer progresses into fall/winter. They spend their winters not far below the timberline, surviving on conifers and perching in trees, often near ridgelines and cornices. I think bombing off the ridge is an escape mechanism (along with flying up in a tree and staring down at you). Big old males can be found in this habitat pretty regularly, even in September. Hens with broods will start out down low (relatively speaking) in the aspens and near springs, just like ruffed grouse. In wet years, they will still be in this habitat in September, but if it is dry they will have moved up into the higher country. A few years back I was hiking with my GWP in early August in a mid-elevation area (9k feet here) and she pointed over 30 grouse. Three weeks later when the season opened there was exactly one grouse left in that area.

Areas with aspens, springs, green forbs, ridgelines, and any kind of fruiting shrub or tree is a good place to start looking.

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.