Kansas Prairie Chicken

Elhewpointerguy

Kansas Prairie Chicken

Post by Elhewpointerguy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

Looking to head to Kansas for the Prairie Chicken Opener in September.

Wondering if anyone had any advice, not looking to steal anyone's spots, just a little guidance and maybe a couple tips for these birds.

Located in DFW Metroplex - Have two broke pointers and one pup.

Just had a litter of 12 great blood lines.

Thanks,
Andy

Pedro

Re: Kansas Prairie Chicken

Post by Pedro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 am

KCKLH wrote:Council Grove. Go into town the night before and hang out at a diner. Or just follow the trucks out of town in the morning. Everyone meets up in the same field before sunrise. There should be a fence line with a cow pasture. That's THE spot to get first shot at them. The prairie chickens fly over. A few drop. Everyone spends the rest of the day hunting for pheasant and quail. Go back at sunset the same flock will fly back over the same field. The pheasant and quail weren't great a decade ago last time I went but they're there. Worst case scenario you're guaranteed two shots at birds.
Now that there's comical...

FYI Elhew. I'm sure you know this but quail/pheasant don't open until November.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 am

Sorry to rustle your jimmies but that's the extent of my experience with chickens. They were always an opportunistic secondary target when I was hunting Kansas which admittedly i haven't done in almost a decade. Man wanted to know where he could find them. I told him how and where to find some. If you have a problem with my post well it's you that has the problem not me. But have a nice day.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm

I will get out a couple time in the early season with my setters on PC. I only hunt them over pointing dogs and feel that its is likely the pinnacle of dog work getting a mature bird pointed and shot. As the early season gets farther along.

They are in shorter grass than you would hunt pheasants. If the cover looks good for pheasants its way to thick for Prairie Chickens. You are looking for big open areas with as few trees as possible. I tend to find them on higher ground more than down low in the draws, but they are down there some times. For food rose hips are good to find.

The young birds early season are pretty easy to take. A big old male for hanging on the wall is a bit more of a challenge.

Heat is a big problem that time of year and you will have to carry lots of water for the dogs.
Its fun but not a target rich environment, you will burn some serious boot leather. Big running dogs are a help but they will need to stand of the birds a fair distance most of the time.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve