Happiness is feathers in your teeth

fishvik

Happiness is feathers in your teeth

Post by fishvik » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Today was the opening of the dove season here in Idaho. It was also my son's 6 month old Lab, Rocky"s, first hunt. He did great. He retrieved 2 of the doves we shot. Didn't try to eat them, didn't even chew them up. (He has a really soft mouth). Delivered them to hand all though he was a little hesitant about giving it up. He's on his way to being a bird dog.

NEhomer

Re: Happiness is feathers in your teeth

Post by NEhomer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Nice....great start~

jpowell44

Post by jpowell44 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 am

You can't ask for much more than that. My 14 month old Boykin will be going on his first dove hunt this afternoon.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am

Sounds like a great start for your gun dog! Especially, good on doves, because they leave limited scent and their light feathers come off when dogs retrieve them. Therefore, many good retrievers really dislike picking up doves.....

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 am

Timewise65 wrote:Sounds like a great start for your gun dog! Especially, good on doves, because they leave limited scent and their light feathers come off when dogs retrieve them. Therefore, many good retrievers really dislike picking up doves.....
I didn't really think dove feathers would be a problem for Rocky, he chews everything. My wife refers to him as a black goat.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 pm

I guess that kind of proves my point on doves and proves your wife's point on that dog! All the makings of a good gun dog...

DBsetter

Post by DBsetter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 am

That's awesome! Great for 6 months old. This year was my labs first hunt also she's a little over a year, made right many good retrieves several being from thickets and woods. Feathers took her some getting use to but she love to get them birds. Good luck to you and your son!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

Rocky has an amazing nose and search instinct, enough to get him in trouble. He found packaged moist cat food in a floor level kitchen cabinet last night and ate 3 individual wrapped small cups of it before he was caught. That got him an immediate trip to his kennel. The joys of a Lab puppy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Well done Rocky.
I had a GSP bring me a Canada goose egg once. The egg was not harmed in any way. That is now my definition of a soft mouth. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett