Idaho Sage Grouse Opener

fishvik

Idaho Sage Grouse Opener

Post by fishvik » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:28 pm

I headed out with the pack this morning to hunt sage hens. When I got to where I hunt the temp was in the mid 30's and there was an inch of snow. A week ago it was in the upper 80's and dry as a bone. My 9 yo GSP Hanna did a flawless job pointing and holding until the rest of us got there. My son's 6 mos old Lab, Rocky had a great time running around flushing all those big birds but wanted no part of picking up the juv. male I shot. We'll work on that. Puck my 6 yo Lab/GWR took care of the retrieving duties though. Lots of birds. We flushed about 40 in a 20 minute hunt.

mask

Re: Idaho Sage Grouse Opener

Post by mask » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:03 pm

LOL you know you are killing an endangered species right. There are a lot where we have been training this summer as well. Glad you had a nice hunt.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Sounds like a fun hunt for all involved, dogs & people :D :!:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 am

mask wrote:LOL you know you are killing an endangered species right. There are a lot where we have been training this summer as well. Glad you had a nice hunt.
I intend to shoot a few more too. They are a perfect bird for training a new dog, they give off a lot of scent, hold well and where I hunt there are a bunch of them. Hopefully Rocky, the Lab will start picking them up by the end of the week. When I threw the one I shot yesterday for him in the yard, with out any other dogs around he picked it up and brought it back to me. Now I have to work at him doing it in the field.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Went out again today here are some photos: top- dogs with 1 bird limit, middle-Puck on point, bottom-Hanna on Point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 am

Hey fishvik, sounds like a great hunt with some nice pictures. By the way your Lab x GWR, what is a GWR?

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 am

Art, that's a typo should be, GWP German Wirehaired Pointer. Puck is a great dog.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am

Sage grouse seemed like they had a good year this year in western Wyoming. My wife took a friend and first time bird hunter out on Saturday, they got into a lot birds and had 2 each pretty quickly. I took my 5 YO GWP out on Saturday for some mountain grouse. On my way, I passed an area that can hold sage grouse, and did a quick hunt...got one point and shot a tasty young bird. Curiously, there did not appear to be any other birds in the area. I then headed into the mountains, and found wet snow clinging to the underbrush (it was 80 degrees just 2 days before this)! I have not seen a lot of mountain grouse this summer, I do think they were affected by the big winter and wet spring. We ended up finding good numbers of blue (dusky) grouse way up on the ridges, but the ruffed grouse numbers seem to be a bit down. I ended up soaking wet and chilled to the bone with 1 sage grouse, 3 blue grouse and 2 ruffed grouse.

Who says Wyoming does not have good upland bird hunting :)

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

Wyobio, Yeah, forest grouse hunting has been lean on this side of Idaho. I gonna try hunting up farther north for grouse and chukars this week.