A little hawk help

fishvik

A little hawk help

Post by fishvik » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm

We were hunting pheasants along the Henry's Fork of the Snake River today. A pheasant that was flushed and coming our way was forced to the ground when a goshawk came after it. It was neat to watch. We walked over to where it went down and flushed it again. The rooster flew close to the ground and I shot it. I'm sure that goshawk made it want to stay close to the ground. I've been keeping track of all the birds I've shot since the 1980-81 bird season. This was my 3000th bird in that time span but I've never had a bird help get a bird before.

greg jacobs

Re: A little hawk help

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Had one follow me around in a quail gully. Every time I flushed some it would chase them. They sure hit the brush at full speed when being chased. Just about shot it, was about ready to pull the trigger when it tried to grab the one I was going to shoot at. They try to catch my pigeons also during the winter. Not sure if they are goshawks or cooper's hawks

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 pm

A hawk will make running quail or checkers lock down in the brush tight. A hawk is always welcome on my hunts.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Hunting pheasants in ND this year, a peregrine falcon followed me around for about 20 minutes. I walked in to my dog on point, and a hen got up...which was nailed by the falcon! Very cool, this bird had learned that hunters will help catch a meal.

Another time, we were pushing a shelter belt and bumped out a great horned owl. When it flew out in into the open, it was mercilessly harassed by a much smaller peregrine, that would not let it land on a power pole, then chased it off to the horizon. They are badass little birds!!!

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 pm

greg jacobs wrote:Had one follow me around in a quail gully. Every time I flushed some it would chase them. They sure hit the brush at full speed when being chased. Just about shot it, was about ready to pull the trigger when it tried to grab the one I was going to shoot at. They try to catch my pigeons also during the winter. Not sure if they are goshawks or cooper's hawks
Goshawks are more of a forest bird, are way, way bigger than a Coopers.....

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:24 am

oldbeek wrote:A hawk will make running quail or checkers lock down in the brush tight. A hawk is always welcome on my hunts.
There are guys that walk around hunting chukars with a brown balloon, filled with helium, on a string tied to their belt to imitate a hawk and keep birds on the ground. I'm not sure it works, but a hawk scream as point response on a collar works on them.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:08 am

Had hawk lock down a covey of chucker last year. Perfect pointing, they came out 1 at a time on flush, terrible shooting. Missed them all. Never going to get the hang of hitting birds going down hill. Had my pump gun with 5 rounds for more fire power. Been using my 20ga o/u for the last 30 years.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 am

When I'm hunting a new place I watch for the areas the raptors are focusing on as those generally hold birds
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.