I wish Idaho had a dove paradise like Yuma, AZ....

JonBailey

I wish Idaho had a dove paradise like Yuma, AZ....

Post by JonBailey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:20 pm

and Imperial Valley, CA.

I wish the fish and game and the local economy would do something to fix the dove deficit in Spudland I keep reading and hearing about.

Won't the local Spud farmers with prime dove habitat cooperate?

I want a mass dove mecca of an Idaho town where shooters can buy a dove stand and bang away then have their birds
cleaned and cooked as yummy dove poppers after a hunt! Idaho BADLY needs a Dove Capital. I want an Idaho town with a sign "Welcome Dove Hunters"
come dove season opening day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2RLmCcp1g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZWWnbSoBaE

There's Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever but how about "Doves Coming Out Our Ears"?

Is Idaho culture just uncaring about dove hunting in general?
Is there just not enough support for doves from people here?

QUESTION: What can I do personally to advance dove hunting in Idaho?
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: I wish Idaho had a dove paradise like Yuma, AZ....

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't know, but maybe plan a trip to Ontario. LOTS of doves . Daily limit is 15 and possession limit is 45.:)

https://www.oodmag.com/hunting/upland/m ... st-season/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Go to Argentina or go back to California. One can't have everything or know everything.

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Sharon wrote:I don't know, but maybe plan a trip to Ontario. LOTS of doves . Daily limit is 15 and possession limit is 45.:)

https://www.oodmag.com/hunting/upland/m ... st-season/
Oh, I thought you meant Ontario, Oregon! That's only 50 miles west of Boise.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 am

Idaho, compared to many other states is a bird hunters paradise. A hunters paradise in general actually.

FWIW, I think doves are a local enough phenomenon that you should be able to find decent dove hunting or create it if you look. The best dove hunting I’ve ever had was in Minnesota, around a gravel pit surrounded on three sides by a corn field and a field that was unplanted.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 am

I lived in Colorado when I first learned how to hunt dove. Back then in CO, no one prepared ground or fields for dove. Therefore, you had to find your own spots and hope landowners would let you hunt them.

Then I moved to Virginia and attended my first 'real' hunt for doves with a group of friends. A local farmer grew sunflower plants and started harvesting them 2-3 weeks before opening day of dove season. We all had our limits by 8:30am. What great fun and great eating, while watching college football games....

Then I moved to Memphis...never did find any good dove hunting their, but waterfowl and bass fishing were great.

Then, I ended up in Kansas City, Missouri. As I read up on the state wildlife, I found that every year they grow large plots of sunflowers & wheat on 100's of fields on public grounds. Then about 4-6 weeks prior to opening day they start cutting swath's of sunflowers down and a week before opening day they burn the wheat fields. Opening days in Missouri and wonderful, it is rare that I hunt past 9am with a limit. I then go back the next afternoon and get another limit, although it is a bit slower than the day before. I never in my life appreciated our State Wildlife folks as I have while in Missouri. They do wonderful work, also on deer habitat, pheasant and quail habitat etc. all on public land.

I just wanted to share how my moving around with my job, taught me the great difference in how states use some of that money.....unfortunately, few use it to help the outdoor sportsman and women....

Good Luck

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:27 pm

JONOV wrote:Idaho, compared to many other states is a bird hunters paradise. A hunters paradise in general actually
Huntable populations of 3 species of forest grouse, 2 species of prairie grouse, 2 species of quail, chukars, huns, pheasants, waterfowl, and doves if you do you homework to find them, Jeez Jon I think you're just putting us on or you just like to complain.

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:51 pm

You wouldn't want to be in Yuma or the Imperial Valley right now! Yes there are a boat load of dove, but it's hotter than firecracker!

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Cactus wrote:You wouldn't want to be in Yuma or the Imperial Valley right now! Yes there are a boat load of dove, but it's hotter than firecracker!
Which is why I would only scout and hunt them early in the morning at the crack of dawn.