Dove season is coming in SIX weeks.

JonBailey

Dove season is coming in SIX weeks.

Post by JonBailey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 pm

About what time will you and your dogs get ready for doving this September?

Dove season opens Sept. 1. Just around the corner. You may have to practice your shooting and tune your dogs up for the new upcoming fall hunting season. Do you go doving with your retrievers? Better check the batteries in the MOJO decoys. I have doves on my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIi8JuHMu8Q&t=1s

I am now reading a doving book published in 1975, Dove Hunting by Charley "bleep". It's probably still pretty much pertinent for dove hunting today but is not gonna cover techy stuff like e-collars, MOJO motorized decoys and walk-in private land programs which are more modern notions than what was imagined way back in the 1970's. There was no such animal as non-toxic shot back then to boot and the overwhelming majority of game birds were taken on private lands, particularly agricultural settings. Mr. "bleep" suggested that WMA land was crappy for dove hunting for the most part unless this land bordered on farmland. That I have to use shot other than lead on WMA lands makes me frown as well.

This book is entertaining though. Mr. "bleep" states that it's probably going to take more than being a jolly good fellow who merely closes gates behind him to get permission to hunt from farmers. Farmers, private landowners, often do need and deserve an incentive to accommodate sportsmen. Hunters need to give back equitably to landowners who hold the desired game birds.

How might Idaho farmers in 2018 react if I were to offer to close gates behind me for the privilege of game birding? I would rather politely offer to follow all the landowner's rules, gates or otherwise, if I were to be asking farmers' permission to hunt. I fear I might get laughed at or told not so nicely to take a long hike and never look back if I were to mention the old GATE thing right off the bat.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

JONOV

Re: Dove season is coming in SIX weeks.

Post by JONOV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

JonBailey wrote:About what time will you and your dogs get ready for doving this September?

Dove season opens Sept. 1. Just around the corner. You may have to practice your shooting and tune your dogs up for the new upcoming fall hunting season. Do you go doving with your retrievers? Better check the batteries in the MOJO decoys. I have doves on my mind.

I am now reading a doving book published in 1975, Dove Hunting by Charley "bleep". It's probably still pretty much pertinent for dove hunting today but is not gonna cover techy stuff like e-collars, MOJO motorized decoys and walk-in private land programs which are more modern notions than what was imagined way back in the 1970's. There was no such animal as non-toxic shot back then to boot and the overwhelming majority of game birds were taken on private lands, particularly agricultural settings. Mr. "bleep" suggested that WMA land was crappy for dove hunting for the most part unless this land bordered on farmland. That I have to use shot other than lead on WMA lands makes me frown as well.

This book is entertaining though. Mr. "bleep" states that it's probably going to take more than being a jolly good fellow who merely closes gates behind him to get permission to hunt from farmers. Farmers, private landowners, often do need and deserve an incentive to accommodate sportsmen. Hunters need to give back equitably to landowners who hold the desired game birds.

How might Idaho farmers in 2018 react if I were to offer to close gates behind me for the privilege of game birding? I would rather politely offer to follow all the landowner's rules, gates or otherwise, if I were to be asking farmers' permission to hunt. I fear I might get laughed at or told not so nicely to take a long hike and never look back if I were to mention the old GATE thing right off the bat.
No one knows. Some people couldn't get permission to bring water to a burning barn, and some people get permission easily, with no rhyme or reason. The worst they'll say is no. Ask, be polite and respectful, and see what they say. FWIW, the best luck I've had comes from specific and narrow requests. "Mr. Stevens, I was wondering if I could dove hunt Saturday Morning in the field on route 17, I'll be sure not to litter and close any gates" is an easier "yes" than "Can I hunt on your farm, Mr. Stevens?"

But, state managed dove fields can be good places to hunt, if a bit crowded. Are you sure on public land lead bans? I thought it was only a few of them.

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:09 pm

JONOV wrote:
JonBailey wrote:About what time will you and your dogs get ready for doving this September?

No one knows. Some people couldn't get permission to bring water to a burning barn, and some people get permission easily, with no rhyme or reason. The worst they'll say is no. Ask, be polite and respectful, and see what they say. FWIW, the best luck I've had comes from specific and narrow requests. "Mr. Stevens, I was wondering if I could dove hunt Saturday Morning in the field on route 17, I'll be sure not to litter and close any gates" is an easier "yes" than "Can I hunt on your farm, Mr. Stevens?"

But, state managed dove fields can be good places to hunt, if a bit crowded. Are you sure on public land lead bans? I thought it was only a few of them.
In Idaho, non-toxic shot NOT required for mourning doves, Eurasian collared doves (an invasive species), American crow and sandhill crane, according to fish n game site:
https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/fi ... 8-2019.pdf

I mentioned non-toxic shot in OP because some states may now require it for the uplands. I've heard rumors that California requires non-toxic shot for uplands, including doves now.
If one hunts pheasants on a FEDERAL refuge, steel shot is required according to Idaho fish and game, otherwise lead pellets may be tossed at all upland fowl including WMA areas.

I don't know why crows are even regulated: I thought they all were nasty pests. Who wants to eat crow anyhow?
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't know why crows are even regulated: I thought they all were nasty pests. Who wants to eat crow anyhow?

They are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act with Mexico and Canada. Some folks eat them, particularly south of the border.

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 am

fishvik wrote:I don't know why crows are even regulated: I thought they all were nasty pests. Who wants to eat crow anyhow?

They are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act with Mexico and Canada. Some folks eat them, particularly south of the border.
Most American sportsmen would stick their noses up at the thought of eating them. Most American farmers would like to dance on the grave of any crow.

To me they are vermin. In Kansas they are often the targets of .22 rifles when fence sitting. I knew a couple guys in the army from Kansas farms

and learned how they felt about crow and how they enjoyed putting their guns to good use on the farm.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 am

The corvids; crows, ravens, magpies and jays are a controversial lot. They are very intelligent and adaptable. Europeans changes in land use have benefited them. Magpies and ravens are notorious nest predators and there is some good evidence they can have a significant impact on ground nesting game birds. But they are all protected.

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

When it comes to securing permissions, I agree with what JONOV said regarding the specificity of what you're attempting to do. You want to hunt doves so you're already ahead of the game. If you were trying to hunt mule deer bucks, you'd be looking at extremely dismal odds.

My tips for securing land permissions:

-Be realistic. You're going to get told no a lot. Accept a denial with the same enthusiasm as you would with a yes. It could pay off down the line.
-Have as many land owners on your list as possible. The more swings you take, the more likely you are to get a hit.
- Ask in person, rather than over the phone when possible. In my experience, It's harder to look a man in the eye and tell him no than it is to tell him no over the phone.
-I try to do as many as I can do in a single day. I'm nervous when I walk up to that first front door. After the first house, I'm much more confident in my delivery because I've already gotten one or two out of the way.

There's a litany of resources on the internet that detail how to get permissions, look some of them up and then have your pitch dialed in when you get to the front door.