How does a bird hunter navigate to his hunt site by car?

JonBailey

How does a bird hunter navigate to his hunt site by car?

Post by JonBailey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:24 am

Let's say one finds a BLM land they are interested in scouting in person in his home state.

This person would need to know driving directions to the BLM land from his house.
He would also need to know where to park his vehicle at the BLM site.

I would also need to calculate the driving time and the travel time to make the trip.

Does Garmin's BaseCamp software allow users to calculate routes from home to hunting sites?

Can I get the map coordinates of any BLM land from Basecamp?

Does Basecamp or onX have road trip planning tools?

Do any onX or BaseCamp products integrate with automobile GPS systems such as Garmin Nuvi or the various in-dash navigation systems equipped for car manufacturers
as Toyota Entune?

If I have the map coordinates for the BLM land, I can then punch them into my car's GPS system to get to the BLM site. My Garmin Nuvi will navigate by lat/long
if street addresses are not pertinent. There might not be a specific street address for the sportsman's access gate or parking lot for a BLM land. Using a handheld GPS, one can navigate by foot over the BLM land if vehicle use on the land is not allowed.

Yes, I would like voice turn-by-turn directions in my car to get to any prospective hunting site, game-scouting site or dog-training site I want to explore in person.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

JONOV

Re: How does a bird hunter navigate to his hunt site by car?

Post by JONOV » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 am

I'll find it on my iPhone and drop a pin.

I don't recall if my Toyota Nav system can take coordinates, I believe it can but It seems like there's always a format challenge to making it work. Google Maps on the iPhone eliminates that.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 am

20180723_110319.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JonBailey

Post by JonBailey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm

JONOV wrote:I'll find it on my iPhone and drop a pin.

I don't recall if my Toyota Nav system can take coordinates, I believe it can but It seems like there's always a format challenge to making it work. Google Maps on the iPhone eliminates that.
Here is how to input coordinates on a 2012 Toyota navigation system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8k1GJ2jkJc

If older vehicles can do this, so can the newer ones.

Not everybody owns an iPhone or wants one.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:50 pm

For those actually interested:

The KS WIHAs, for example, or equivalent programs in other states can often be overlain upon GoogleEarth.
The info re input may, often is, presented on the state’s game & fish website.....it is a nice feature but what can be an issue is real world reception to view while in the field.

A hard copy sitting in a lap where notes can be made and navigation is instant is also pretty standard....and, I like maps. :)
Today, we have much more ability to access information, by device or paper, than ever before....thankfully, it remains a nicety rather than a must do, an option rather than a requirement, a means more than an end.