First bird hunting road trip

Rio

Post by Rio » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 am

I am taking my first bird hunting road trip this fall and looking for advice. A friend and I each have a puppy getting trained in Central Montana and we go early October to pick them up. We will have 3 hunters and my 8 year old shorthair in addition to the Brittany and wirehair puppies we pick up. Traveling from Eastern WA.

Not looking for your hunting spots, although I wouldn’t turn that advice down :). What advice do have for traveling long distances with dogs, hunting out of state, what to pack, etc.

Obviously the gun, ammo, vest, and dog will make it in the truck. Anything beyond the obvious you have learned to love on a bird hunting road trip?

Getting excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reba

Re: First bird hunting road trip

Post by reba » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm

My three dogs and I have travel a 10,000 mile bird hunting trip each year for the past 8 years. About 100 days plus in the field.

My dogs ride in the cab of my 3/4 ton, in a special build kennel. They like the air conditioning.

I pull a 22 foot, 4 season travel trailer, which also has a built in kennel. Yes, at home they are house dogs.

Take plenty of dog food. You may not find what you use out of state.

On hunts carry plenty of water, hemostats and vet wrap for your dogs.

If you are using a tracking system on your dogs, and you should, have a 12v charging system.

The first potty break should be about 50 miles out, after that every few hours. Even seasoned dogs have a hard time the first couple of days. After that they learn what a potty break is all about. Males do not have as much a problem when it comes to pee breaks. They all poop a lot the first time in the field.

Don't forget good 6 foot leather leads and doggy poop bags. I hate people that do not pick up after their dogs!!!!!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am

A robust first aid kid for the dog, ideally one with a staple gun. Barbed wire can ruin days.

Rio

Post by Rio » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Great advice, thanks! I never would have thought about a potty break at 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Rimadyl/Carprofen is a good addition to the kit if you have a middle aged or older dog. Peroxide has a lot of uses, wounds, skunks and making them puke if they get into something. Like said before a stapler. Dog boots and Bag Balm can keep a dog going a while longer. A 15’ check cord seems to make the potty breaks go faster than a 6’ leash. Stake out for each dog. I always print out the regulations and order an online licenses if possible for every state ahead of time, it can save you a good part of a morning looking and waiting for somewhere to open up. I also carry two vests, one that holds lead and one that holds steel shot. Steel shot vest has steel written across the back in black permanent marker for areas that requires steel, one shell in the wrong pocket can ruin a nice conversation with DNR officers. Lots of socks and two pairs of boots. Books on tape can kill some miles. A small cook stove and a coffee pot, oatmeal bowl. But most importantly don’t forget a bottle of Woodford Reserve and some Advil for the handler!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:39 am

A fly rod.
Extra shotgun.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 am

Settertude wrote:A fly rod.
Extra shotgun.
+1
30905EC9-06B5-4DB6-90C0-1313D177F20D.jpeg
64C805CE-25BA-439D-8CA4-28DD3C337D10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-